Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

A simple, straight-forward question...

9 years ago

Why are people fascinated by superheroes? As a kid I felt they were too cheesy, and I only bring it up because I recently watched this X-Men flick at a friend's house.

9 years ago
It's a form of escapism, I feel.

9 years ago

I would assume its because they can do what normal people can't and its a form of escapism just like any other type of overpowered character.

A better question is why the hell after they all decide to become heroes they also decide to wear spandex. (Yeah, yeah, I know. It's easier to fight in. Still sort of silly looking though)

9 years ago

I enjoy watching a lot of DC's animated series like the Green Lantern. They're just really well written, especially when you consider the fact that it was written for a younger audience (although Green Lantern definitely doesn't hold back on the death and violence). Add the fact that you can write in more interesting plots to the movies and shows because they can do what humans can't and it just becomes even more interesting.

9 years ago

I just like that they're just cool, and creative ideas. They manage to be incredibly complex characters (Even Superman, as I hate to admit.) but their stories, actions, and attitudes are just manageable and understandable enough to be moldable by any creative mind. I'm into the thinking/fanfiction/video game part that comes afterward, things where you can grasp and enjoy the characters and their interactions and powers more thouroughly, where you can create your own stories based on the epics that have already been told. Sometimes stories go the wrong way, (Like Nintendo's character franchises have been doing...) sometimes they go the right way, (Like Alan Moore's superheroes have done.) and they can explore important subjects in ways that no other story medium really can. Superheroes are a common plot device, to be sure, but when done right, they're anything but cheesy, and can be the most interesting thing some people have ever encountered.