Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Star Wars: Episode VII Teaser Trailer

9 years ago

Watch it.

9 years ago

Saw it already, the light saber claymore design is stupid looking.

Still, can't be any worse than the prequels. 

And the Star Wars fanboys still bitching about Disney nuking the expanded universe is hilarious.

9 years ago

Honestly, the lightsaber design doesn't look too bad to me. I hoping the theories that whoever the sith is, assembled it himself. Worse thing in the trailer, to me, is the soccer ball droid. That was just awful.

High hopes for the movie, though, since the trailer was awesome.

9 years ago

The droid didn't bother me since they had some rolly type droids in the prequels and the droids in Stars War have always looked a bit silly to me.

Not sure why some people are complaining about a black storm trooper though. The Empire stopped using clones and were just straight up conscripting people decades ago. He might just be wearing the armor too and not actually a storm trooper.

9 years ago
Actually, they still used clones, but after the destruction of the death star, the Empire decided that they shouldn't put all their eggs in one genetic basket. So, they starting cloning using a more varied...stock.

9 years ago

Still, the complaints about that storm trooper is pointless when we're talking about the empire (what's left of it) of this time. You are both correct. The empire used both clone and non-clone troopers in their military, so a black storm trooper shouldn't be something that is out of the ordinary. Plus, all the storm troopers that we see in episodes IV-VI had their helmets on and were fully in armor, so that doesn't rule out the possibility of some of them being black.

If we were talking about the troopers from the prequels, then we would have an issue since we all know they came from one man who wasn't black.

8 years ago

How do we know any of the other theories about conscripting troopers or multiple genetic types for clones? I'll tell you how. They said it in the expanded universe, BUT that universe is gone now. As of now, I simply see it as disney rewriting the story to suit their desires. Which is their right as they own the franchise now, but I would've preferred them to stick to the expanded universe, I'm one of those fanboys endmaster referred to, and I think that they had a perfect reason in the expanded universe for this sort of thing.

Ultimately, I have very low expectations for Episode VII anyway. I can only hope that the acting can prop up the story aspects.

9 years ago
the droid looks like cgi rather than prop - which is disappointing :( I don't care that it's on a soccer ball, but how it looks... it reminds me of wall-e.

9 years ago
Yeah, really, the lightsaber broadsword was ridiculous. Also, what's the point of a cross-guard that can burn off your fingers.

9 years ago
what's the point of having no cross guard? nobody grabs a broadsword by the cross guard anyways - and it seems to be able to toggle considering it didn't extend at the same time as the blade. It'd be useful to block others from burning your hand off. Personally the only thing I find somewhat wrong is that it looks like fire instead of a plasma blade. Other than that, surely you must admit it does look pretty cool.

9 years ago

But the cross guard is still partially made of metal (or whatever) where the light comes out. The enemy's saber can still cut through that portion of it, so it's not even doing its job well in that aspect. I never see them sliding the sabers to cut off hands anyway, it's usually a quick chop when the other guy over swings or swings the wrong way leaving himself open.

I mean maybe the cross guard is made of material that's resistant to sabers, but if that's the case then it sort of makes the need of having the two little lights at the end pointless. It's like the lightsaber staff Maul had, sure it looked cool and it helped that Maul looked cool using it, but just seemed like a pretty impractical weapon.

I dunno, I guess it could've been worse and they put a blood groove on it.

8 years ago

There are a few materials in SW that can resist a burn from a lightsaber. 

9 years ago

I'm not a fan of that design either, but there are some crazier ones. The lightsaber whip comes to mind.

The prequels weren't THAT bad in my opinion. They still add much to the Star Wars storyline, my only major complaint is how they portrayed Anakin.

I was very upset when Disney did that. The EU adds so much to the Star Wars lore that suddenly stating it as non-canon is ridiculous. Especially when they plan on using characters from the old EU in a different way than they are already portrayed.

9 years ago

There's a lot of B-rated novels stating explicitly what happened after RotJ. They didn't want to be restrained by that. 

Also, Star Wars EU isn't that fantastic. My only complaint was KotOR getting the axe. 

9 years ago

True, true. Kotor is by far one of the best star wars games of all time. There are also games like Force Unleashed (not the second one) that add much depth into the story, especially that of Darth Vader and Sidious.

However, I'm not speaking just for the story but the lore as well. For instance, the ancient Sith Lords and Emperors (Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos, Exar Kun, etc.) are all in the EU. Exar Kun is one of my top favorite characters. ;_;

Now I'm left with bitch Anakin and his incestuous children. But if this means that Sidious and Luke are taken out of god-mode, I'm willing to give the next three the benefit of the doubt.

9 years ago

Light saber knee pads were probably the most ridiculous design.

9 years ago

Were those seriously a thing?

9 years ago

... And that's exactly why the EU needed to DIE. 

9 years ago

Always felt that with all the glorified fanfic EU stuff that was written there should have been more "What if" stories. (Like What if Luke had joined his father? or What if Leia had done more than just tongue kiss Luke to make Han jealous?)

They had 3 "Infinities" stories which had a "what if" theme (One for each of the original trilogy), but that was it.

9 years ago

Nice.  I hope it's better than I-III.  My favorites were IV-VI.  I thought the acting was better in those, even though the special effects were lacking.

9 years ago

9 years ago

9 years ago

Looks like sub-realistic CGI is preferred over props.  :P

Besides that, I would've taken the film 50% more seriously if the trooper armor didn't look so toyish, and the lightsaber CGI...

...I dunno, even the video games looked more appealing with their CGI than this trailer.

Story : don't really give a crap.  Sith comes back, new Jedi needs to come, violence ensues, the usual Star Wars politics...

9 years ago

I was waiting for the awesome Harrison Ford line, if he even gets a part in this movie and not just a ten-second long cameo like a big electronic Yub Nub Celebration and he's all, "You did good kid, gave 'em hell!."

9 years ago

... Is that the guy from Attack the Block?

9 years ago

This genuinly looks terrible beyond words.

9 years ago

In my humble opinion, "The Force Awakens" sounds slightly cliche and vague.

And that new lightsaber design looks sucky.

9 years ago
I know, right. That new SW show on Disney (don't ask, I was at some relatives' house and the Disney channel happened to be on) has this one guy with a lightsaber katana, and it looks a Hell of a lot cooler than the claymore design. I mean, the katana seems to adhere to the original design for the most part aside from a flattened blade.

9 years ago

Love what they did with the lightsaber in this parody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

9 years ago
Haha that's great

9 years ago

9 years ago

The way I see it, this is either going to be a decent homage, a horrendous mistake that everyone who owns Star Wars is probably going to try and force you to accept as canon, like the prequels, or it's going to be one of those things that make the great cult following wonder why they ever liked it in the first place and possibly come to the conclusion that the whole thing was shit all along, ruining childhoods and future children until the end of days. Given the quality of movie that Disney's been cranking out lately, I can't bring myself to hope it'll be any better than the first option. Although, to be fair, their version of Prince of Persia is a game I could get into more than the actual Prince of Persia game, but only because it looks a little bit more fun to play. Everything character and story-wise about it feels as beiged-out and dumbed down as all hell.

9 years ago

9 years ago

Looks like somebody found  an interesting solution to the "New lightsaber crossgaurd wouldn't work worth a damn" problem...

9 years ago

I think a lightsaber cross guard would actually hinder the user more than help. S/he has to become more aware of his/her own weapon since any wrong twirl of the blade could result in the loss of a hand. The minor benefit that you get from the protection against other blades is hardly worth what you lose in mobility.

9 years ago

But people's hands are constantly getting cut off! Maybe if he's strong enough in the Force, he doesn't need to twirl? 

Or maybe he has wristguards similar to the Vibroswords from KotOR. 

9 years ago

I'd think that the lightsaber would have a button or something that could turn them on and off, so you could use it as normal until you get into a blade lock scenario and can take the opportunity to disarm the opponent... Though the problem with disarming a lightsaber-wielder is that you have a fucking lightsaber flicking around...

9 years ago

Lightsabers retract when they leave the user's hand, I believe.

9 years ago

When Starkiller force-pulled Darth Vaders' lightsaber out his hand, It was still active I believe.

9 years ago

Adding to what CreatorX said, lightsabers have a button/switch that activates them just like any other device. Anyone can use them, very few can properly wield them however. I know that some lightsabers require a force-user to be used, but I think those were called forcesabers.

9 years ago
From what I understand, lightsabers work because of a crystal, which has to be aligned so perfectly that only a force user can do it. So, naturally, usually only the Jedi and Sith use them because they are the only ones who can repair them.

9 years ago
looks like a penis to me, but I guess it's better than the cross-guard design

9 years ago
You must have one fucked up penis.

9 years ago
I didn't say it looked like MY penis - I said it looks like A penis.

9 years ago

Pretty late to the party, but I'm all for the claymore design. Besides, the claymore is probably gonna end up like Darth Maul's lightsaber:

People will think 'Oh, that's stupid, they ruined the series' then they'll see the lightsaber in action and they'll think 'Okay, it's kinda cool, I guess.'

9 years ago

Seen it awhile ago. Honestly don't know what I make of the trailer. Like the claymore design, though obviously, logically speaking, it's probably not a good idea to keep it the way it is. Just gonna have to watch the movie and see what's up.

On the subject of the prequels, I was kinda brought up on them, so, naturally, I have a bit of bias when talking about them. Well, at least I used to. The third was the only episode that really stood out to me, the first and second I was kinda like "meh". Can't say much for EU, as I've never seen much of it. 

9 years ago

Well, the second trailer actually did a better job of inspiring me to want to see the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Not sure why every time they show the black guy in these trailers he's always got a pained look on his face and out of breath though.

9 years ago

He always seems to be running away from the Empire.

9 years ago

Being the token black guy is hard work. If you're not killed off early, it's a sure bet that you're gonna have the shit beaten out of you at every availiable turn. There's a reason why black guys that survive in action series for prolonged amounts of time are badass: They have to be, because the universe is racist and trying to kill them.

9 years ago

How about this storyline (one I'm prolly gonna loosely, use in a fanfic here after Disney officially murders the franchise by NOT using this idea) is this: Luke turns evil blah blah blah, the light saber handing in the second trailer was his first light saber (or one modeled after it) given to Leigh to fight him, a Stormtrooper being caught in the political crossfire of a fractured Rebellion now in civil war. Then, they have to kill Luke on board the Millennium Falcon and, with the last movie "The Force Dies" or something, the Force is decided to be too unpredictable and is no longer trained in people after Luke is killed, and it is forcefully forgotten, making us wonder what the real villain was all along. Sorry if that was random and rambling, I am an INTP personality type, I'm pretty disorganized, and I can't express myself well. Great ideas here though! Lol

9 years ago
Actually, I thought it more likely that whoever found Luke's hand would make a clone from its tissues and that clone would have all of Luke's memories prior to Vader cutting his hand off. Thus, the last thing the clone would remember would be Vader's proposal to usurp the emperor, conquer the galaxies, and rule alongside him.

9 years ago

It's Star Wars, it's going to be good by default in my opinion.

9 years ago

Like the prequels? :/ 

9 years ago

He likes the prequels more than the originals. Don't bother.

9 years ago
Yeah, he's in the same class as people who prefer Skyrim over New Vegas because of graphics.

9 years ago
  1. And story
  2. And atmosphere
  3. And customization
  4. And gameplay

... Actually, he's pretty damn far from those people. New Vegas was a sorry bag of Old West cliches.

9 years ago
  1. Had a story with more than one path that wrapped up nicely.
  2. Debatable.
  3. Morality system. Quests can usually be completed in different ways. Something reminiscent of a class system. Skills that actually matter.
  4. Unopenable doors are more easily handwaved and less common. Diplomacy is harder, more common, and changes the story significantly. No unkillable NPCs.

9 years ago

1. Hell fucking no. New Vegas had an excellent and complex mythos that wrapped up the massive storylines of the previous games perfectly. Plus, the actors who gave it a voice weren't all shitty Swarznegger impressionists with no sense of feeling. Granted, Bethesda games aren't exactly known for their prowess in voice acting, but a better job was done here, I feel. (Except for Sheogorath and Cave Johnson, they were gold.)

2. Atmosphere of New Vegas: The destroyed and oppressive ruins of an old world, filled with the cheery and patronising relics of an ignorant, blissful past. Factions that actually felt like they were in conflict. The feeling that your choices actually made a difference between things that would happen, as opposed to what things you would and wouldn't be able to obtain as loot. Atmosphere of Skyrim: Wow, this place is big! I'm a viking! HOLY SHIT I'M PUNCHING DRAGONS!

3. Can't argue with you there. The ability to choose everything down to the pattern of stripes on my catgirl's ass far outranks the decisions allowed to me regarding what kind of mustache I'm going to slap on my Mexican.

4. Yeah, because heaving your weapons around like a cerebral palsiac is way better than actually kicking ass in battle, boxing like you actually know what you're doing, and being able to dismember your foes as a satisfying reward, where Skyrim will maybe give you a fatality if you're lucky, and a decapitation if you're a hacker.

5. Because the occasional nod, two cowboy robots, and the local accent make it a whole bag? Well, by that logic, I'll have you know that Skyrim is just a bunch of cliches stolen from LOTR and Braveheart!.

8 years ago

If you think that Skyrim had better story, atmosphere, and gameplay than New Vegas, then you've either never played New Vegas or you played it for five minutes.

Have to agree on customization, though; Skyrim had mountains of it.

Star Wars: Episode VII Trailer

8 years ago

OMG OMG OMG HYYYPPPEEEE YAAASSSS!!!!

8 years ago

Gonna rewatch one through six for the next few weeks to get it fresh in my mind again before watching this.

8 years ago

They actually showed scenes with the black guy where he wasn't just breathing heavy this time.

8 years ago

Dammit, whoever made these trailers is DAMN good...! ;~; Why isn't it Christmas yet?! 

8 years ago

did she say "Just editing" at the end? Lol.

8 years ago

"Just let it in."

8 years ago

oh.

8 years ago

Got to admit I cried a little when I saw this.

8 years ago

Yes, yes... Let the hype flow through you...

8 years ago

I can't wait to see it, weather it is good or not i'll wait to decide untill after i'v seen it.

8 years ago

So apparently someone made some twitter account calling for a boycott of this new Star Wars movie since it's an example of white genocide, multikult, something about Jews, etc, etc. and now this account is being talked about and reported on by various other sites.

Basically, they're doing beautiful job of trolling everyone.

8 years ago

What's multikult?

8 years ago

Multiculturalism, but when racist folks use the term, I usually see it spelled "multikult" because I guess it makes it look like race mixing, diversity etc. is literally a cultish "ideology."

8 years ago

Just wanted to say:

Disney didn't ruin Marvel, in fact, I'd say the superhero movies benefited from it. A lot, in fact. Chances are they won't 'ruin' Star Wars either and the movies will be at worst a thoroughly watchable pop-corn flick. But, like the superhero movies, expect it to be thrilling and fun though not, you know, life-changing or anything.
Kinda like the new Jurassic Park. It wasn't 'AMAZINGOMGGG' but it was at least fun to watch, even if it was dreck.

So yeah, I think the internet needs to take a step back on both extremes on it haha.

8 years ago

This.

(don't worry, only the text is in Chinese/Japanese/Koreanese/Lookatthese)

8 years ago
I saw this and was wondering if it was fan made but it seems legit. I also thought it might just be leaked footage - but it seems like everyone says it's legit. Looks amazing :D

8 years ago
Looking forward to it.

8 years ago

I'm pumped for it. I just hope that they don't do something lame like making Luke Kylo Ren's master or something. That would ruin it for me.