Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Please Help me , I will owe you a lot if you do!

9 years ago

Pre read: I like Learning programming and i guess maybe there is a chance that i could find about how to program and make a quality game Using this site as it provides me Audience and some communicative system that allows me to have many things i can't easily attain easily if i do it on my own! So this is what i want to know and i will be thankful for the guy who answers:

1- Are Stories coded in HTML ? (If yes, what are my limits using html?)

2- Can I use Codeacademy.com and learn coding that helps me achieve my goal? (If yes, How much it helps... or is there any better option for me)

3- Can this site take it if i use so many images and scripts for my game? (If No, What is my solution?)

4- Will This site Save Varieties i don't Submit as Variety and just make them in scripting menu? (If No, How can i save my varieties... my game will contain so many of it and i need working with variety)

5- If you read my Pre Read, am I right at all? (If No, What should i do to make a game that has all factors i want)

6- If answer to num5 is yes : I'm a beginner in English writing! Cause i'm Persian... all i Know to write is Writing just like this ! Am i still right ?

7- Have you guys saw Choice of games ? They are making good money with writing story... Why this site doesn't make any? You can spend it on advertising and make this community whole lot bigger! If somebody writes an excellent story doesn't he deserve to have a wider audience? and also some money in his pocket... (I'm just curious about this one)

Pre read: I like Learning programming and I guess maybe there is a chance that i could find about how to program and make a quality game Using this site as it provides me Audience and some communicative system that allows me to have many things I can't easily attain easily if i do it on my own! So this is what I want to know and I will be thankful for the guy who answers:

1- Are Stories coded in HTML? (If yes, what are my limits using html?)

2- Can I use Codeacademy.com and learn coding that helps me achieve my goal? (If yes, how much it helps... or is there any better option for me)

3- Can this site take it if I use so many images and scripts for my game? (If No, What is my solution?)

4- Will this site Save Varieties I don't submit as Variety and just make them in scripting menu? (If No, How can i save my varieties... my game will contain so many of it and i need working with variety)

5- If you read my Pre Read, am I right at all? (If No, What should I do to make a game that has all factors I want)

6- If answer to num5 is yes: I'm a beginner in English writing! Because I’m Persian... all I Know to write is Writing just like this! Am I still right?

7- Have you guys saw Choice of games? They are making good money with writing story... Why this site doesn't make any? You can spend it on advertising and make this community whole lot bigger! If somebody writes an excellent story doesn't he deserve to have a wider audience? Also some money in his pocket... (I'm just curious about this one)

9 years ago

1- Are Stories coded in HTML ? (If yes, what are my limits using html?)

Well, we're using a different kind of scripting, but we do use HTML too. Your limit is pretty much limitless. 

2- Can I use Codeacademy.com and learn coding that helps me achieve my goal? (If yes, How much it helps... or is there any better option for me)

You can if you want. 

3- Can this site take it if i use so many images and scripts for my game? (If No, What is my solution?)

Yes it can. 

4- Will This site Save Varieties i don't Submit as Variety and just make them in scripting menu? (If No, How can i save my varieties... my game will contain so many of it and i need working with variety)

I don't know what you mean by varieties. 

5- If you read my Pre Read, am I right at all? (If No, What should i do to make a game that has all factors i want)

What?

6- If answer to num5 is yes : I'm a beginner in English writing! Cause i'm Persian... all i Know to write is Writing just like this ! Am i still right ?

7- Have you guys saw Choice of games ? They are making good money with writing story... Why this site doesn't make any? You can spend it on advertising and make this community whole lot bigger! If somebody writes an excellent story doesn't he deserve to have a wider audience? and also some money in his pocket... (I'm just curious about this one)

No. And did you just repeated all your questions again? o.O

9 years ago

Could Varieties mean Hashes or Dictionaries?

Even then I still can't answer the question. : (

9 years ago
I assume 'varieties' means 'variables'.

9 years ago

I meant variable !

is it so hard to distinguish variety and variable ? lol ! you English people ! :D

9 years ago
  1. Not really, but HTML can be integrated into your story.
  2. I have no control over which source you choose to learn how to code. I would recommend W3Schools over Codecademy, though.
  3. Yes.
  4. No, you have to declare variables in the "variables" tab before you can use them in scripts.
  5. I assume 'pre-read' means synopsis.I read the synopsis on your unpublished story. To be honest, I had a hard time understanding what you were trying to say.
  6. You should have someone fluent in English read over your story as you write. If you can find someone who is also fluent in your native language, you should try getting them to read your story.
  7. Well, I'm not sure how to answer that. But, we're doing very well without commercializing our writing, and I honestly feel that many of us would rather keep it that way.

9 years ago

just above the text i wrote i had wrote 'Preread:'

Thanks for the answer ! 

also its so cruel i must create a thousand variables in game ! are you sure ?  so i mention save will not work right ? or acutaly make my own save game ! cause i'm intending to create thousand of variables

by the way... i'm not as good as you in writing but i have ability to rewrite... thanks for reading that... i wrote the synopsis of my story quick and i didn't wanted to anybody read that now ! but i'm planning to make a great game !

9 years ago

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by preread. If learning how to code is your primary objective, there are better places to do so than here. Occasionally, you can find a discussion or two on integrating HTML and other languages into your game, but the advanced editor's scripting language is unique to this site. Learning how to use it can teach you a lot about logic and other things important to 'real' coding languages, though.

But, yes, you must declare all the variables before you can use them. What are you planning to do with the variables? We might be able to help you come up with a simpler way to do it that doesn't require as many variables.

Also, sorry, I really should've read the top of your post before I made that assumption.

9 years ago

@7: Yes we know of CoG. If I know my 'lore'(heh) on this site then Alexp and his friends created this site as a place where people could come to make Chooseyourstory type books for everybody to read and learn how to write better, the forums were added as a way to bring the community together and allow easier feedback for stories on the site.

There is also the factor that stories over here tend to be more based on the story itself instead of the gameplay like CoG favors. We had a large amount of members and still do, while most of them are non-forum people that's their choice. 

I feel that your referring to Endmaster when you mentioned someone writing an excellent story. If I were you i'd ask him with a PM if your that curious. For the story I'm writing for this site(which I should really get back to work on. >.>) I write for the practice, fun, and a way to contribute to a site that I enjoy visiting. 

If I want to publish one of these stories as an actual book or Ebook then I can simply take it down or just not publish it on here all together. I don't think you can do that on CoG.

9 years ago

Actually they created the site as a school project, haha. 

9 years ago
Your statement and Fireplay's are not mutually exclusive.

9 years ago

Don't tell me you dislike a thousand more players playing your game !

But actually i got my answer, sounds it is just impossible to make here connected to world... 

taking out your game from here needs knowing a lot of html code i suppose!

9 years ago
This is a small community, but I feel it has more...freedom...than CoG.

9 years ago

its small and awesome ! ;)

I really like it here