Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Great Books And Who Should Read Them

9 years ago

Here is a collection of my all time favorite books/series/etc.

Harry Potter: A great book for 6-12 year olds, there's a reason this book is main stream. I read it as a child and it teaches many valuable lessons and has a non-cliche story line that will keep you engaged.

Maze Runner: This is a great teen series, however the 2nd and 3rd are much more mature than the first one, so I'd say that 10-15 year olds should read this series, though a more intelligent younger child should be able to manage the 1st one. It is sci-fi, focusing on a group of teens who are being put through a series of tests.

The Golden Compass: To be honest the 1st book is marginally better than the 2nd and 3rd. I recommend for literally all ages. It is a mix of sci-fi and fantasy, focusing on a girl named Lyra. 

Ready Player OneThis is by far the best sci-fi book I have ever read. If you have not read it, go read it. Probably best for adults, but could be enjoyed by teens too.

The Night Circus: A fantastic fantasy book with multiple views on a series of events that happen in a circus. Best for older teens and adults. 

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy: A funny series, with unique characters, and a plot full of twists and turns. A must read for adults, although lovers of sci-fi will enjoy it regardless of age.

Ex-Heroes: A zombie apocalypse takes over the world, the story centers on a small group of super heroes leading a group of survivors in LA.

World War ZIf you are over the age of 12, read this book. It is amazing.

Maximum Ride: Essentially a very good sci-fi series aimed at the same audience as warrior cats. A much better option than cat p0rn. I enjoyed these books immensely as a child.

Romeo and Juliet: The plot might not be to your taste, but the writing is great.

Macbeth: Shakespeare's best work. It's a classic for a reason.

Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska: Both by John Green, they are much better than The Fault in our Stars.

Scott Pilgrim Versus The WorldMy personal favorite comic series. A 6 part epic about growing up, love, and video games. 

Please add any that I missed.

9 years ago

*sigh*

It pisses me off to no end when people are presumptous enough to tell others what age group should do what. 

9 years ago

When I was 12 I mentioned to my guidance counselor I was reading Stephen King, and she actually scolded me.

9 years ago

I sincerely hope you told your guidance counselor to go fuck herself. 

9 years ago

Back in HS I read every Stephen King book I could get my hands on, Louis L'Amour westerns, and the works of Dean Koontz.  They all have their good points, but they are what people used to call dime novels.  King, himself, admitted that his work is the literary equivalent of junk food.  I say that anything that sparks a kids interest in reading should be applauded.

9 years ago

lol. I read every louis l'amour book, too.  Loved "The Walking Drum," so disappointed he never finished the series.

Stephen King is a better writer than a lot of "serious" novelists.

9 years ago

I don't want to mentally scar the children.

9 years ago

One of my personal favorites:

The Warrior's Apprentice, by Lois McMaster Bujold

Coming-of-age space opera, kicking off my favorite series -- but is itself a satisfying self-contained story.

9 years ago

Eragon:                                    Series, 4 books, thick. High fantasy, dragons. Recommended.

White Fang:                              Single, slim. Animal perspective, wolf. Recommended.

Uglies:                                      Series, 4 books, medium width. [High fantasy?] Not yet read, but sounds good.

Eye of the world:                        Series, 13 books, Thick. High fantasy, Magic. Recommended.

Septimus Heap:                         Series, 8 books, thick. High fantasy, Magic. Recommended.

The Last Dargon:                        Single, medium width. High Fantasy, Dargon. Interesting.

The Last Aprentice:                     Series, 13 books in series. Medium-thick. High fantasy, Magic. Recommended.

A New Darkness:                        Series, unknown number of books, branch off series of The Last Apprentice, Medium-thick. High fantasy, Magic. Recommended.

Twilight:                                      Series, 4 books, thick. [High?] fantasy, vampire/werewolf. Recommended, if you have not seen the movie yet.

Divergent:                                   Series, 3 books, medium-thick. [sci-fi?]. Recommended.

The Immortal Nicholas Flammel:  Series, 6+ books, Medium width. [High?] fantasy. Magic. Recommended.

Julie of the wolves:                      Series, 3 books, Medium-slim. [Sci-fi? Modern Adventure?]. Wolves. Recommended.

Enders Game:                            Series, Several many confusing orders of books. Medium on average. Sci-fi. Recommended.

The Divide:                                 Series, 3 books, medium-slim. High fantasy. Magic. Recommended.

Shiver:                                       Series, 3 books, medium-slim. [fantasy?]. Werewolf. Recommended.

Wolves of the Beyond:                Series, 6+ books, slim. [fantasy? Sci-fi?]. Animal perspective. Wolves. Recommended.

City of Bones:                            Series, 4 books, thick. [High?] fantasy. [Magic?]. Recommended.

Wolf Brother:                             Series, 4+ books, medium width. High fantasy. Magic. Recommended.

Avalon:                                      Series, unknown number of books, [High?] fantasy. Magic, wolves. Not read yet, but sounds good.

Call of the Wild:                        Single, slim. Modern Adventure, Wolves. Recommended.

Fell:                                         Series, 2 books, Medium width. Wolves. [Magic?] Recommended.

Survivors:                                 Series, 5+ books, slim. Modern adventure. Wild Dogs, animal perspective. Interesting.

Is this enough? I could go on.

9 years ago

TWILIGHT? NO THANK YOU. GOOD DAY. 

9 years ago

It's only good if you haven't seen the movie yet. The movie completely ruins it.

I bet you'd freak out even more if I told you 'Survivors' is done by the same authors that do 'Warriors'.cheeky

9 years ago

... Late to the band-wagon, but no, Taco. No, it isn't. I tried to stomach the book long before I ever saw the movie because my female friends bothered me constantly about how good it allegedly was (ladies in their freaking 20s were telling me this) and how more people needed to just give it a chance.

Bella is a terrible, terrible person, who exists way too much inside her own head, meanwhile Edward bounced back and forth between irritating me on behalf of your gender and boring the crap out of me for allegedly being a marble-carved, pale, glittery Adonis. Their whole alleged love-story offers some truly god-awful "morals" for people your age and ... apparently older, based on the ages of fans.

At least the movie was funny bad. The book was just bad, period.

Edit: Alright, I lied. The book IS "funny bad" if you read it, then you read this -- http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/

8 years ago

That is the whole point! That's the whole reason for recommending it! It's something to point at, laugh, and say how much of an over dramatic idiot Bella is, and how much they have screwed up the idea of a vampire. VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE.

'Oh, Edward is just so handsome. I'll love him forever. Oh, but Jacob is just so cute! I wanna be with him forever too! Oh, but losing Edward is just too much, I-I can't live without him. I'll die without him, by killing myself is necessary.' or, 'No! I don't care if it's a super mutant vampire baby that'll eat me from the inside out! He's my baby and I'm keeping him.'

8 years ago

Um ... well, I no longer feel bad after replying a month late anyway...

In your own words: "It's only good if you haven't seen the movie yet."

My point was that no, it's not good. It's bad. It's really bad, and to get enjoyment out of it, you either have to be totally blind to that fact or very aware of it and able to consider it humorous instead of a tragic waste of Hollywood's apparently ample supply of money. So yeah, it's funny, but not everyone has that sense of humor. I did not feel it was funny at first, because I was surrounded by people who insisted on taking it seriously and acting like it was a great love story and it's not. I've been on the other end of rage from fans and I'm baffled as to why they're so dedicated to this fandom.

8 years ago

It was already necroed. *shrugs*

I meant that it's only good for laughing at if you haven't seen the movie yet. I thought that was a given. The movie is just pure stupidity that leaves you with no choice but to facepalm. The movie ruins the laughablility of the books.

I completely agree with the hollywood waste of money; there are much better books to chose. Such as Magyk, Erec Rex, and dozens of other perfectly good books. I would have added Wheel of Time to that list, but they're making a T.V show out of it instead because of how long the thing is.

9 years ago

City of Bones has 6 books, 3 of which are worth reading.

9 years ago

6? Must have missed the other two.

9 years ago

I f*cking love Ender's Game, though I was very disappointed by the movie. But Twilight?

NO THANK YOU!

9 years ago

it's only because she's a thirteen-year-old-girl. I bet she'll denounce it in three years. :P 

9 years ago

Girls are weird.

9 years ago

Standing right here.

9 years ago

... And?

9 years ago

I haven't read a single one of these except for Survivors.

9 years ago

Really? Many of those are very well known books. Such as Eragon, Twilight, Enders game, Divergent, Hunger games, probably because they have movie made out of them too. Haven't seen any of them though.

9 years ago

They're really popular at my school but I never get the chance to read them. Most of the stuff I read is about wild animals and stuff.

9 years ago

Then try these books. They are either revolving around, or have the perspective of, a wolf.

Fell, Call of the Wild, Wolves of the beyond, Julie of the Wolves, and White Fang. Shiver too if you like werewolves. (not the normal go on a rampage kind; it's full human or full wolf)

9 years ago

Cool. I'll give 'em a try (if I ever get the chance).

9 years ago

At first I thought you meant either Fell by ME Kerr, or Fell by Warren Ellis, but I think you mean the David Clement-Davies book.

9 years ago

Call of the Wild and White Fang were amazing. 

I'd also recommend East (known as North Child in the UK and Australia) by Edith Pattou, Inkheart by Cornelia Flunke, any Agatha Christie books for crime-fiction fans, any Roald Dahl and Paul Jennings books, Holes by Louis Sachar, Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian, The Brotherband Trilogy by John Flanagan, Death or Glory by Michael Asher (my personal favourite book of all time) and Chris Ryan books (though the language is perhaps more suitable for younger readers) for any military-fiction fans.

9 years ago

Hmmm.... I disagree with lots of your choices..... but taste is different for everyone. Ah. Uglies. I do not recommend. Unless you feel like hearing self conscious teenagers blab on about plastic surgery. Graaaaaaah. Stab me, someone.

9 years ago

Empire of the Ants by Bernard Weber.

9 years ago

Going Bovine, by Libba Bray

9 years ago

@SkyTenshi

9 years ago

John Wyndham - The Chrysalids ... since this place seems to be full of teenagers and very young adults with a lof of them SF-fans, there you go. Beautiful story about being different, misunderstood. The end is a bit disappointing but the setting is very interesting. I'd recommend it to serious SF fans and to teenagers who somehow feel they don't "belong." It's a classic too.

9 years ago

A Good Courage : Stephen S. Tolan - Ages 6+; for the stereotypical Christian kid, an overdramatic account of life in a Puritan cult will allow them to open their minds about the facets of Christianity, and eventually, other paths of thought.

9 years ago

The Dead and the Gone, by Susan Beth Pfeffer. Recommended to people who like apocolipse stuff. Part of a series called The Last Survivors. 

9 years ago

Honestly, if someone can handle it's awesomeness, I'd recommend 2001: A Space Odyssey (The book). It's a sci-fi epic about a group of scientists going to Jupiter, but the AI of the ship starts to kill them off one by one, until the last one left must stop the AI from killing him. It is really a joy to read (or watch, as the movie is amazing as well), and I recommend it to any fans of sci-fi books. A PDF of the book can be read here.

9 years ago

I'm in the process of reading it now...

And you spoiled it, you bitch! XD 

9 years ago

Assassin's Apprentice by Robbin hobbs. My favorite. As title say it tell about assassin

9 years ago

... I fucking LOVE the Assassin books! I think the Farseer and Tawney Man trilogies are my favorite High Fantasy books of all time... Yep, even more than Game of Thrones. ^_^

9 years ago

... Fuck you Beta! You're never too old for Harry Potter! ^_^

9 years ago

So true...

9 years ago

Until you realize that...wait, if Harry could go into the past to save himself (or something like that in the movie), couldn't he also go into the past to kill Voldemort and save his parents as well?

And if that's the case, then wouldn't Voldemort be...a little more than a nuisance, given the fact that there's thousands of other witches and wizards available to scour the world for the 3 thingies...?  Even Dumbledore would be of enough skill to prevent / cut lo-

That, and wouldn't the other magical races get a hint of "another human wants to start shit with everyone again", and either eliminate the wizard nuisance / aid the wizards in favor of balance / aid the racist wizards?

9 years ago

Rule one of Harry Potter: Don't talk about the plot holes.

9 years ago

Because once you get started, it's hard to stop. >_> Because of how many of them their are.

Rule two: Don't talk about the time-turner, because HP fans are every bit as sick of hearing about that crap as LOTR fans are about hearing people talk about the eagles. Except, now that I mention it, I know the admittedly logical arguments for why the eagles aren't used more. xD

9 years ago

The real question is, what does Gandalf have on the Eagles that they come whenever he wants?

9 years ago

Depraved shots from their 1996 Spring Break. 

9 years ago

#Eagles4Lyfe

9 years ago
Battle royale, though it has some elements that younger people might be just a bit scarred by...
Also Percy Jackson, which I loved when I started reading a few years ago, recommend this to like, all ages in the kid-teen range, like 7-16, though I still love some of the fanfiction of it even now.

9 years ago

Anything by Tim Winton, Matthew Reilly, John Green or Peter Hamilton, also Wolf in White Van, Vango, Time and Time Again, World War Z and LOTR.

9 years ago

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe was crazy, pointless and incredibly entertaining. I loved Ford Prefect. No wait- the two headed guy. My favorite.

That poor whale though. And Jesus Christ, Marvin.

9 years ago

I just finished Hitchhiker's. Great book. 

8 years ago

Alan dean fosters  drowning world : hard science fiction tons of detail 

Steven ericson the malazan book of the fallen : epic fantasy ( 13 books in the series  all at lest 900 pages long )

R a salvator . Any book : high fantasy 

I know this thread is a month old but Literature !

8 years ago

8 years ago

If you like Salvator, then try the Dragonlance Chronicles. They are various, and you must read in order to understand, but still high fantasy and a really good read.

8 years ago

Haha, those were the Harry Potter of my high school. 

Personally, I liked the Death Gate Cycle best.

8 years ago

Death Gate was pretty good.

8 years ago

Fave character?

8 years ago

from ra salvator  : drizzit do urden

? from alan dean foster : Philip 

From steven ericson : sargent strings