Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Eating lilies

9 years ago

I'm going to write my first storygame, Lilybuds. Starring a sixteen year old teen girl who dreams of lily meadows that is somehow connected to her real world. All the while trying to find a strange white suited man she met as a kid that haunt her dreams in the same flower patch.

Wanted to throw it out there so I can have a fire under my bum to push me to complete it. So far after a good bit of thinking my first page is finally composed

Eating lilies

9 years ago
My #1 suggestion: take your time and don't rush it! Yes, keep moving along, keep writing, but don't write 4 pages and decide you're done (it will not go over with the reviewers here at all).

I'm not saying you have to write 40,000 words, just be sure you have a complete story: beginning, middle, and end.

Eating lilies

9 years ago

Oh I know I been reading up. I want this one to be well developed. Thanks though. Would you by chance know what the heck warrior cats are? I keep seeing it in post.

Eating lilies

9 years ago

The story sounds interesting, but by what you've told us, kind of vague and almost cliche. Will this be a Love and Dating by any chance?

Also, Warrior Cats is a book series that apparently ten year olds adore. Somehow they've decided to write fanfictions here, but those stories aren't necessarily good. And there are a lot of fans here.

Eating lilies

9 years ago

Not so much It's almost a realistic mystery/supernatural type deal. The white suited man is more of a potential mentor rather than a love interest.

That explains all the rage about Warrior Cats from the older members. Are Thunder Cats not cool enough anymore? Lol.

Eating lilies

9 years ago
With that little of an intro, I have no idea where this story could go. My first thoughts pictured a person imaging the field, things happening in the field, then similar, related things happening in their life. Almost creepy/horror-type, but maybe not.

As for Warrior Cats, wasn't there a cartoon movie, too, about them? I think the books were written at about a middle-school level -- I've seen them and glanced at them, but never actually read one myself. Sadly, as Fazz points out, I think the biggest reason they have such a horrible reputation here is that from what I've seen, about 90% of them are very poorly written here with poor to no punctuation, no capitals, no story or choices, etc. I don't have anything against the stories, myself, just that here a number of stories have appeared that are, well, tough to read.

Eating lilies

9 years ago

Yeah sorry about that the protagonists also has to figure out what the dreams mean too. I didn't want to spoil it for everyone, but saying that it could have a potential to be creepy. Or sweet. I should branch a path for that.

I can't stand bad writing either if it's obvious. Shame poor planning and care ruined it for everyone

Eating lilies

9 years ago

Here maybe this will make a better statement.

Based around the life of a teenage girl called Moria. She is what one would call a Lily Dreamer, thing is she has no idea what that means. Only that she has to stop the lilies in her dreams from withering away and figure out just who's the man in the white suit.

Eating lilies

9 years ago

Okay today I made up a branch off pages. My story will have two main paths. Sweet and Messed up. Going to start in the sweet story branch today.

Eating lilies

9 years ago
Nice.

Eating lilies

9 years ago

Spent a bit of time thinking of the next series of events to put on the Messed up branch and I figured where I can introduce the white suited man.

So far five pages all together. I'll begin putting in the pages for the messed up branch after work today.

Eating lilies

9 years ago

Whoo these few days have been constantly at my job. Wasn't able to get much down. I was down, but not out. I aim for five more pages tomorrow. Finally a day off lol.