Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

What are your favourite story games?

9 years ago

A simple question: what are your favourite story games on this site and why? Is there a particular author or a particular genre? Is it the game aspect or the story aspect you prefer?

There is a lot of really great stuff on this site to choose from but my personal favourite is Haunted because I like looking at the broken pieces of someone's life and trying to put them back together to understand who they were and what happened to them to make them who they are now (i.e. dead).

Which story games do you think are truly awesome?

9 years ago

Parlor Room, @Sentinel

9 years ago

@betaband My name is Sethaniel.  Sentinel is ISentinelPenguinI.  Who probably won't move the thread. XD

9 years ago

Oops, sorry.

9 years ago

That is correct! Even if I could move the thread, I wouldn't, because I would be too busy un-publishing every Warrior Cats game in existence.

9 years ago

Poor Seth. xD

9 years ago

My favorite authors on here are Briar, Quills, Madglee, and Endmaster. There are others, but those are the first that come to mind. (Favorite genres would be horror and fantasy, but modern adventure is also enjoyable.)

Why? Briar's characters and settings are engaging, Quiller's general game quality is spectacular and the writing is rather poetic, "Mommy" is still one of the best stories I've read on here and I'm saying that well over two years after reading it, and Endmaster's sense of humor and dark worlds are very entertaining.

9 years ago

I couldn’t find Parlour Room on here? I like Briar Rose’s style of writing, particularly the character interactions in Innocence Lost and the humour in The Tower and I enjoyed Mommy because it was an original and engrossing Modern adventure. I haven’t read Quiller’s story-games yet and find it difficult to find the time to sit down and properly enjoy one of Endmaster’s story-games from start to finish, though overall he is the best author on the site.

I enjoyed a Game of Life and Death because it branched out in so many different and interesting ways but my favourite author is Sethaniel because he has a brilliantly economical use of language in his story-games so nothing seems superfluous or unnecessary. Why the circus horror genre? I didn’t even know there was one. I might try writing a Horror next using the basic editor to focus more on the Story than the Game…

What other story games do people really like?

9 years ago

Thanks for the compliment, Will.

Quiller's never published one, but it still counts because I've read what's been written so far on two of them and it's awesome.

Yeah, Seth made some really good ones, but even if he's not my favorite author, he's arguably one of my favorite people on here--I shouldn't have to say this, but no homo. >_> (It stems partly from the fact that he's very active for the community, partly for his maturity when dealing with heated situations, and partly because his solutions for trolls are funny as hell. xD)

9 years ago

Geek. I fucking love the circus setting, and it's the only Horror capable of holding my attention for more than fifteen minutes. (Sorry, Kiel.)

9 years ago

:P What are you apologizing for? No one owes me attention.

9 years ago

Hmm... My favorite writers so far are probably Berka Zerka, Endmaster and Seth, but I wouldn't say I've actually read enough of the really good games on the site to give a well-informed opinion.

My favorite genres are probably Fantasy and Mystery/Puzzle. I'd say whether I prefer game aspect or story aspect depends entirely on the game. Games like Necromancer have such a strong, interesting story that I'd hardly consider it a game at all, just a book with several different endings. On the other hand, you get some really good puzzle games like Game of Life and Death that're genuinely difficult to solve, and games like Dungeon Stompage where the scripting is so unbelievably complex it makes the game aspect even more fun than the story. ^_^

I'd say my favorite story over all so far would be Eternal, but I might be biased 'cos I've only just finished. Other favorites include Death Song, Dead Man Walking, Snow, Avery M; Dead Man's Journal ('Cos it's so different) And of course... Kill Aman's Mustache! cheeky

... And now I want to read Haunted again. It must've been awesome 'cos I rated it really well, but I swear I can't remember it for the life of me. 

9 years ago

*honored by the mention* ... Oh, yeah. xD Mystery and Puzzle. That's the genre I forgot to mention.

(Kill Aman's Mustache was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. xD)

9 years ago

Awh, give yourself credit Kiel, GOLAD was awesome!!! ... But... How could you not expect Kill Aman's mustache to be good? ... You get to kill Aman's mustache in it! cheeky

9 years ago

It's the best story I've ever written and I am proud of it, but there are a few reasons it's not 8/8 (and not just because of those 27 "1" ratings from people who apparently can't figure out what to do..) I can admit that it's got its fair share of flaws. xD Because I expected that it would just be a bunch of in-jokes that I didn't get.

9 years ago

Actually there's only one reason it's not an 8/8... And that's 'cos getting an 8/8 rating on this site is pretty much impossible. Fun fact, as of right now there's actually only one 8/8 game on the whole site. (Order of the Midnight Sun used to be an 8, but that's down to 7 now.) The only 8/8 game is Homo Perfectus 8... Ironic huh? It's the 8th in the series and it's rated... Yeah, you get it.

9 years ago

O_o Really? It's the only one? Well, damn. I could've sworn there were at least a couple others. xD Also, yes. I get it.

9 years ago

There were a few more.

9 years ago

They technically aren't 8/8 stories anymore because now they're all 7/8.

9 years ago

HP8 is still rated 8/8.

9 years ago

We were talking about stories that were previously rated 8/8, not HP8.

9 years ago
Yeah there were a few that were 8 for a while, but it doesn't seem to last.

9 years ago

Interesting Fact: I browsed through the 7/8 games on this site and based on number of ratings after Homo Perfectus 8 the more popular story games are Snow, Ground Zero, Necromancer, Dead Man Walking, Farewell my Childhood Self, Order of the Midnight Sun, The Proposal, Homo Perfectus, Eternal, Death Song and Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight in that order :) You can see how much free time I have at work :D (Btw law of averages says that in time Homo Perfectus will drop down to an 8, all things decline in popularity over time).

9 years ago

Interesting Fact: I browsed through the 7/8 games on this site and based on number of ratings after Homo Perfectus 8 the more popular story games are Snow, Ground Zero, Necromancer, Dead Man Walking, Farewell my Childhood Self, Order of the Midnight Sun, The Proposal, Homo Perfectus, Eternal, Death Song and Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight in that order :) You can see how much free time I have at work :D (Btw law of averages says that in time Homo Perfectus will drop down to a 7, all things decline in popularity over time).

9 years ago

Wow... Did you like... Have to count all the ratings of every single 7 rated game on the site and get an average score on all of them by adding together all the ratings and dividing them by the number of... Yep, that's a lot of free time. cheeky

9 years ago

Another fun fact, there are 34 games rated 7 on the site right now... And I have SO much reading to catch up on. cheeky

9 years ago

Haha nah I just jotted down the number of ratings next to each story. If a story has 6000 ratings and hasn't been bumped down from a 7 it is on average more popular than a story with 1000 ratings at 7 :) There's some great stuff on this site, I just need to spend more time on my writing so I can publish a few 7-rated story games :D Enjoyed your The Tower and Innocence Lost btw, the character interactions and writing in that are extremely good. Working my way onto reading more of EndMaster's games now when I have the time

9 years ago

Not necessarily true. I'd say the amount of ratings a game has usually has more to do with how long a game's been published than the game's overall popularity... And thank you! Still working on POF but it's slow moving since I'm usually at work all the time. Don't think I've read any of your games yet... I'll put that net on my to-read list. Which one would you recommend the most? ^_^

9 years ago

The time a game has been on this site helps but in terms of the writing only so much. Assuming this site is around for 20 more years I expect very few (if any) of the top 35 rated games (7/8 + HP8) will be as popular now as then because of the influx of new talent. I got a D at Maths but I saw that some games published in 2003-2005 have half the number of ratings than games published in 2012 but both have stayed at 7, which I assume means that the later games are more popular than the earlier games, Sethaniel's Snow (2007) is the most popular game on this site because 8,832 people (or tbh ratings) have rated it as a 7 or above while Homo Perfectus 8 (2012) has had 228 people give it an 8 while EndMaster's Ground Zero (2008, after Snow) has had 6,208 ratings as 7 or above. Snow remains the mostly widely read and most popular game on the site.

I will look forward to your next game but I agree that good writing definately takes time, I would find it interesting to see how many people on this site regard writing as a hobby or as a career? There are about 30 authors on this site that if they sought a publisher to make money from their hobby could probably do so :D Tbh I wouldn't really recommend any of the story-games I have published yet, I like The Land of Bad Writing because it's a good stab at being satirical which may be the hardest genre to do right in a literary form...

9 years ago

Okey dokey, I'll give it a read ^_^

9 years ago

Ground (Motherfucking) Zero. I'll spare you of my usual gushing of it when talking about storygames.

9 years ago

Honestly, I tend to avoid the storygames with puzzles and items mostly..just not really my thing. A few exceptions are Haunted, The Tower and The Order of The Midnight Sun (though I never finished that one). So my experience of storygames on this site is still pretty limited, but I really like Price of Freedom, Eternal and Through Time. TT is probably my favourite out of those because the story is so poignant and well-written and the characters are very relatable to me, but sometimes I prefer POF or Eternal.  Eternal is massive and epic, and basically Endmaster's greatest work imo. POF is again, very well written with vivid characters, and I can't wait until it's finished.

9 years ago

well the best game for me was death song. though the prerequisite for it is to finish first necromancer. given endmaster is really a great writer and he has a lot of great stories here.

want to give props to simplesabbey for making the secret of daphne.. it was a very good game,