Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Writing Exercises - KF: Week One

9 years ago

Ok! Week One! Let's get started! For anyone who doesn't know, this will thread will contain a week's worth of writing exercises to be completed each day. I do not know how the originals were scored, so what I'm going to do is I'll give out 5 points per regular exercise, 10 points per bonus exercise, and 15 per "super bonus" exercises. You may do as few or as many of the exercises as you choose. Anyone is allowed to join up at any time, but please let me know in a PM if you want to be added to our tag and scoring list.  

Our goal here: Ultimately, fun, but I very strongly believe that the encouragement of your peers, a little friendly competition, and some light-goal setting combined with consistent practice is an excellent path to becoming a better writer. Heck, it's an excellent path to getting better at most things.

ONE IMPORTANT RULE: DO NOT REPLY TO ANY OTHER WRITER'S POST. I will indicate where to reply to post your work and if you want to praise a fellow writer, please do it in the appropriate "feedback thread" that I will be posting later. We don't want writing posts locked here, it isn't fair to people who want to edit later.

9 years ago

Monday! Theme time! You might've already guessed it, but this week is "Romance Week," in honor of the upcoming holiday. However, since it's my first week of writing exercises with you all, let's start with something very simple to get everyone, old and new-comers, warmed up:  

Write five sentences. Choose five different emotions to be the focus point of those five sentences.

Bonus: Pick one of those sentences and expand it into a scene with three or more characters in it.

(REPLY TO THIS POST WHEN YOU DO THIS EXERCISE.)

9 years ago

@31TeV @ecoLyte @TheNewIAP @Ogre11 @SpartacustheGreat @Morgan_R @Swiftstryker @betaband @nmelssx @Sethaniel @Malkalack @Chris113022 @Briar_Rose @MatGods @Deathdefender @Wolfmist @bjhovey @LeoScales7 @AWarriorFan @FazzTheMan @Claw2k11 @Romulus

9 years ago

Jenna clutched the rough-hewn, stone cross to hold herself up as her body was wracked with sobs of grief.

Of one thing, I was despairingly sure: Cupid had nothing except unfathomable hatred for me.

Mark had never truly appreciated the crazed ramblings of madmen who thought 'everyone' was 'out to get them' until he felt true paranoia for the first time.

The softest pangs of longing, that's what she felt every time she looked into the faces of the corpses she cared for; a longing to know eternal peace.

Deliriously, unequivocally, unspeakably, unfathomably, unrelentingly, exuberantly, delightfully, and incandescently happy was all she felt when he pulled her in for a kiss; such shame that she didn't see the knife in his right hand.

Bonus: Will attempt later.

9 years ago

1. As the afternoon sun fades away, Mark slowly and solemnly places a single rose on the freshly-disturbed earth. 

2. "HOW LONG? FOR HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON? COME BACK HERE, WE'RE NOT DONE TALKING YET!

3. I could feel my stomach bubbling, and my knees became weak. A thousand thoughts screamed through my mind, each one trying to burst out, yet the only thing I could say was: "Yes, yes I do."

4, "John? John are you there? Answer me please, is everything alright?"

5. Sarah slams the door shut behind her, grabs the bucket of half-melted ice cream from her shopping bag and falls down on the couch. "I hate Valentines Day..."

Bonus: Might follow later...

9 years ago
Julie took a breath and watched as Tom reached into his bag to pull out her present: was this it?

She thought about the commitment that a ring would bring and wondered if she was really ready for it, or if was more than she could handle right now.

But wait, her thoughts wandered, what if this ring was one that he had bought for someone else and was just re-gifting to her?

No, she was sure that Tom was The One and she was completely and totally head-over-heels in love.

She was crestfallen when Tom pulled the gift out and it was just a brown Valentine teddy bear.

9 years ago
Bonus:

When Tom pulled out the teddy bear, he smiled, but his smile vanished as he saw Julie's face fall. He tried to think of a way to recover when the waiter walked up, "Are you folks ready to order?"

Tom stuttered, "Uh, I think we need a moment."

Julie reached out for the bear and recovered, "Oh, Tom, it is so nice. I love it."

Tom, oblivious to the sudden change, smiled, satisfied that Julie was truly happy. Inside, Julie wondered if Tom would ever commit as she called out, "Waiter, more wine!"

9 years ago

1. Jenny growls as she stalks across the room, fuming all the while.

2. Katty flinches as his nails dance slowly across her neck, a low moan bursting from her throat as they gyrate slowly downward.

3. Carl screams as he grabs the limp body of his buddy, tears streaming down his face. 

4. Still as a statue, Max stares emotionlessly at the blank wall. 

5. Jax's eyes light up in amusement as she winks at him from across the room. 

9 years ago

The sun rose in a splendor of glowing clouds, and I stared at the sky for longer than I should, knowing it might be the last dawn I saw.

It was a perfect autumn day, the blue sky framed by apple-laden branches, a breeze dancing around us as we ate and talked and laughed together.

It was not what he said, but the tone in which he said it: as if I were simple-minded as well as crippled.

I should have said something to her, before she left, but I could not find the words.

They say it is better to have loved and lost, but they lie.

9 years ago

1"...well," Tybalt started, "what took you so long?"  He flashed a grin and kissed my knuckles.

2BONUS : Lyra sat on the sharp rocks, as she always had been, but her longing was...stronger.  Today was a special day, coincidentally also the day of love for many...

Ever since she had her second conversation with Lucas, a feat unheard of feat for sirens, Lyra was excited to make new her island.  She had gathered bunches of forget-me-nots and white roses, uprooting and re-planting them in a colorful circle of blue and white at the top of the Western Cliff, a colorful beacon shown to all on the steep hillside.  Lucas said he was passing by today, and he clearly said that he wasn't allowed to talk to women until his second shipmaster.  He even said that his second crew had no females on-board.  He was available, and his resting center was only a short distance of 25 miles away...

...what she would do if swimming away from the island didn't mean death.  She'd trade the life of another girl for her to get out; hell, she'd even kill for the ability of freedom, but her curse was in the way.  That damnable curse....

The sun was hung high above her head, beating her locks of mahogany until they were a shade or two whiter, closer to a cherry oak tone than the rich tones from before.

Not that it mattered.  She'd wash later, but she was waiting.

While all her dresses were rags, she had ways to make them clean again.  Today's dress was her cleanest, the most bleached out of the rest.  She even wove a line of white rose petals along it.

The sun began to turn the sky orange.

She had tied her hair up into a bun, just as the way he liked it.

Now the sky was gold.

Her nails were all clean, cleaner than they had ever been before.  It wouldn't be too far of a stretch to say the ocean had its own benefits for beauty...

And the sky began to darken.

He'd come for sure...he'd have to...

Just like her mom.

3Isabel was weeping.  All her petals were torn, all except for one.  A black petal, lined with red vessels.

4"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!  WHO DO YOU WANT THEN?!"

5Greg smiled a warm smile only warm old men could smile, but shook his head at the offer.

9 years ago

My father's jaw is set, his shoulders tight as he stares across the room at the two of us.  The skin under my arms begins to prickle as the taste of sour metal fills my mouth.  Casually, deliberately, eyes never meeting his accusatory gaze, you place your hand upon my thigh. My face feels hot, am I blushing?  You never touch me so intimately in public. I reach down, cover your hand with my own.  You lean against me, filling my head with the rush of your ocean-scented shampoo.  I can feel your heart fluttering, almost as fast as my own.

9 years ago

1. Frank held the picture of him and his late girlfriend, Kate, and a tear welled in his eye.

2. Anne stamped her foot and stood up, yelling at Mick that he wasn't committed to their relationship.

3. As Jorge closed the door and turned around, he was excited that he had a girlfriend.

4. Whenever Kiera saw Malcolm, the boy who cheated on her, she felt a tang of disgust.

5. Levi crossed his fingers, fearing that Charolette wouldn't give him a second chance.

Bonus: I will attempt it later...

9 years ago

Bonus:

Kiera turned from Malcolm, heading for fourth period. Malcolm saw her and walked up to her. "Hey, Kiera, do you want to go to the movies later?"

Kiera whipped around. "Why don't you go with your new girlfriend?"

Malcolm's eyes widened and he started to shuffle his feet. "How did you know?"

"Tori told me," Kiera said, turning around again.

"Wait," Malcolm  "Scarlet means nothing to me. You're the only one I-"

"Stop," a voice spoke, interrupting Malcolm. Kiera turned and saw Caden walking towards them. "You had your chance, just go."

Malcolm detested. "But-"

"Go, now," Caden said in a deeper voice.

Malcolm narrowed his eyes and turned away. Kiera nodded to Caden and she walked to fourth period.

(Was that too long?)

9 years ago

The only sound I could hear was that of my heartbeat as the door started to swing open.

It's still baffling as to how she was ever capable of those monstrosities.

If I ever find the culprit, they will wish they had never been born!

He would have never imagined that he would have such good fortune.

As I leaned against the railing, staring out across the canyon, I could barely comprehend the vastness of what I was seeing.

9 years ago

9 years ago

1) Looking back on that frigid winter day, I realized that sorrow could be by one true companion.

2) Clouds of red smoke and hatred wrought from fire were my motives, his corpse the result.

3) A face built for laughter and an imagination as high as the sky itself are the only traits that could define my son; I can't say that I'm any less proud.

4) Nothing could contain the rapid beating in his chest, the drops of sweat in his brow, nor the inner chatter of Mark's subconscious as his crush undoubtedly glanced his way.

5) Typing and editing furiously from his sweaty keyboard, Leo felt a wave of sheer mental exhaustion as he pitifully struggled to come with five entirely original sentences.

9 years ago

1. Fear clutched at his chest like a vice, turning his breaths into desperate gasps for air.

2.  The hot water soothed his aching muscles, its minerals seeping into his bones and a sigh escaped his lips.

3.In that instant she realized the impact her words could have, she wished more than anything she could live that day again but that was impossible, or was it?

4. The entire class could see his anger slowly building, his knuckles turning white, his hand balled into a fist pressing into the wood his desk.

5. Happiness blossomed in his chest, then manifested itself as a laugh bursting forth from his lips.

9 years ago
  1. It took him a moment to realize, through the blinding, burning pain, that the beastly, unearthly howl was coming from himself; leaving his body from somewhere deep within, a place he'd never accessed before.
  2. As a tear slowly made its way down his cheek, within his shackles, Kevin stared ahead, for some reason making an attempt to focus on the wooden stage, blocking out the crowd's wild and gleeful chants... and of course, the executioner before him, cleaning his axe.
  3. Something passed through Jason the moment he sliced off the Evil Necromancer's head; several shots of pure ecstasy, teeming with adrenaline, pulsating through his veins; unable to keep the bubbling euphoria to himself, he opened his mouth and shouted proudly, the gods looking down before him from the heavens.
  4. Jon grabbed his pistol; it seemed like his entire body within had condensed to form an endless black void, swallowing anything, any emotion, that dared try to show itself; his mind numb, he aimed and fired.
  5. Gasping for breath like a dead fish, he rolled over to his side, tangled within the covers, though as desperately as he could, he could not conjure any coherent though.
  6. (Bonus shall be tempt with later).

9 years ago

Tuesday! Great participation so far. "Romance Week" continues! Who doesn't like receiving gifts on V-day?

Write five sentences about the act of giving / concerning a gift that someone received. (Need not actually be romantic, feel free to make it horror, mystery, or whatever other genre you feel like doing. Also, the gifts do not need to be material. Gifts come in many forms.)

Bonus: Expand on one of those sentences by making it into a scene. In the scene, be sure to explain the relationship between giver and receiver.

9 years ago

@31TeV @ecoLyte @TheNewIAP @Ogre11 @SpartacustheGreat @Morgan_R @Swiftstryker @betaband @nmelssx @Sethaniel @Malkalack @Chris113022 @Briar_Rose @MatGods @Deathdefender @Wolfmist @bjhovey @LeoScales7 @AWarriorFan @FazzTheMan @Claw2k11 @Romulus

9 years ago

Can I do this even though I haven't joined?

9 years ago

@ISentinelPenguinsI @EveryoneNotSignedUpYet

"Anyone is allowed to join up at any time, but please let me know in a PM if you want to be added to our tag and scoring list." :P ... Anyone meaning anyone. I encourage everyone on the site to participate in this, period. No restrictions and no time limits to the sign-ups--for as long as I continue hosting, anyway. However, anyone who wants to receive tags, scores, and feedback should PM / notify me so I can add them to the list. (PMing me is the best way to get my attention.) So, do you want to be added? 

9 years ago

Yes, verily!

...But ISentinelPenguinsI is an evil doppleganger of mine, don't tag him.

9 years ago

Noted, haha. :P

9 years ago

9 years ago

"But what is it?" asked Jared, examining the twisted lump of bronze.

"I don't really know," Grandfather replied.  "My grandfather gave it to me, when I was your age.  And his great-grandfather gave it to him."

Jared looked up.  "But. . . why. . ."   He took a deep breath, steeled himself, and continued.  "Why me, Grandfather?  Why not give it to Brandon?"

9 years ago

I could tell by the look on her face that she was new here and felt all alone, so I seated myself beside her and smiled my warmest smile.

After weeks of endless screaming, due to the painkillers having lost their effectiveness, I silently watched as his pupils began to grow ever larger and knew that in that moment we shared in the same relief.

Weighing the keys in my hand I thought to myself that he'd been chained by the wrist to the tree long enough, so I pitched him the knife.

Her eyes brightened when she saw the package from her beloved and grew in horror when she realized what he had sent her.

I could barely make out her voice through the crackling static on the line and the little hairs on the back of my neck stood on end as she whispered, "I have something for you."

9 years ago

1: I can't understand it ... why would he, my biggest rival and arguably the biggest asshole I've ever known, pay for my grandfather's operation?

2: Jayden kicked the box over to the ex-cop with a nasty grin on his face, eager to see the shock and horror that would come over him when he found his wife's severed hand--wedding ring still intact--inside.

3: A single, white rose, scented with the faintest hints of sunshine, desert sand, and sweet spices, lay atop a book in Kris' study; a final gift from his dying lover.

4: Kage stood upon the edge of a sea-cliff, staring calmly into the black watery grave below as it crashed upon the rocks ... this was all what he wanted now; his demise was the only thing that would give them both peace.

4: "My heart is ... the only thing I can really give you, you know; I don't have enough money to my name for it to mean anything, the scars that I've received over the past surely make my body less than worthwhile, but ... I can promise that no other will love you like I do."

Bonus:

I could only stand there in shock as my grandfather relayed the account of the baffling events. Kage Heika had for whatever reason, waltzed into the hospital yesterday and answered our prayers. Prayers I hadn't shared with anyone at the office, let alone the man whose throat I was at just the other day.

But why? My god, why? The question threatens to drive me mad. I can't understand it ... why would he, my biggest rival and arguably the biggest asshole I've ever known, pay for my grandfather's operation? He has nothing to gain from this. He has no desire to 'butter me up' or see me 'go soft' on him. He revels in our fights, he takes pleasure in seeing people bite back. He may be a dick, but sabotaging his opponent with guilt would be a form of cheating that he just doesn't approve of.

That's why it makes sense that he told my grandfather not to breathe a word of his charity, especially to me, but ... it still doesn't make sense that he did it at all. Thousands and thousands of dollars for something he didn't even want me to know about?

Damn you, Kage, what is it you really want?

9 years ago

And the girl, in all her mangy, dust-ridden glory, almost instantaneously made her herbal bath putrid.  Still, though, she was elated to know warmth and cleanliness for the second time in her life.

Oliver looked at his second helping of soup again; he was thankful for it, indeed, but was that...oh God, that was a finger.

"Don't tell me I'm the father...no...I'M NOT THE FATHER, I CAN'T BE.  WHAT THE FU-"

"I'm bonged.  Why?  Because of catnip.  No, I don't smoke it, I apply it.  And it's just...ectaseeeeOHMYGOOOOOOAAAAA-"

Theresa's left eye twitched as she held the vial in her small hands.  In it was a vat of fluid...containing her other eye.  And she could feel something warmer than tears flowing down her cheek.

9 years ago

" I thought you would have liked it, friend..." Dave said in his usual, composed monotone as Gonzo turned his shocked gaze up from the desecrated heap of flesh.

Gwladys had wracked her brain for answers all month... Who put a gold bar in her refrigerator, and why?

"Y'know..." Laenna said as she pulled herself out of the crater, prying a rebar out of her leg, "I think I'll take you up on that cookie offer now..."

He pressed the pen into his own hand, and then looked out the window pensively. "This is my gift to you..." He said to no one in particular, beginning to recount the events of the previous week.

I woke up to the sound of explosions this morning, and my brother screaming "Merry Christmas!" as the cell door was blasted down.

Bonus:

"I thought you would have liked it, friend..." Dave said in his usual composed monotone as Gonzo shifted his shocked expression up from the pile of desecrated flesh. Dave could tell, that for some reason, his friend found the gift most unorthodox, and suddenly, he realized why.

"That is only the wrapping paper," Dave droned again, "Open the hole in her stomach, you will see."

Gonzo, shaking, stuck the end of his shovel into one if the corpse's many wounds and pried it open, unable to tell whether he found the deformed creature it had once been more terrifying than the mangled mess that Dave had turned it into, or vise versa. But either way, he didn't want to put his hands anywhere near it.

Inside the creature was all manner of pink fleshy bits and sharp things. Vestigial teeth and newly forming muscles. If it hadn't bled out, perhaps it would be covered with mouths now. Angry, angry mouths... Gonzo shuddered and ducked down with jellylike knees, trying to see what was inside of it without touching it with his hands.

"Close the wound, now. You can only see it if you open it with your hands." Said Dave.

"W-what?" Gonzo was horrified, he almost wished that Dave never followecd him here... But then again, Dave followed Gonzo everywhere now.

"Close the wound now. You can only see it if you open it with your hands." Dave repeated.

"Okay..." Gonzo said, pulling out the shovel, making a slapping noise as the wound shut. Cringing, he gingerly brought his hands up to the lips of the pink, slimy wound, and looked in.

"I... I don't see anything!..." Gonzo said quickly, retratcing his hands and letting the mouth fall shut.

"Reach inside."

"Whah..." Gonzo paused, but he couldn't force himself to touch the creature again. Dave could tell that Gonzo was refusing.

"Then it is not worth retrieving." Dave said bluntly, not a single change in his tone or expression as he casually, almost robotically turned and began to walk down the hallway.

"What was the gift supposed to be!?" Gonzo asked, wiping the slime and gore off of his hands with disgust.

"If I am correct, you will have it by the time your journey ends." Dave said, not stopping, not even turning his head.

And with that, he disappeared into the shadows of the building. Dave could be really cryptic sometimes.

9 years ago

"Why?" Tears streamed down his face; it was completely drenched. 

"Because I care for this world," The reply came, after several minutes; nearly an eternity between the pair. "And therefore, I care for you."

He allowed the other a minute of preparation before he sent the knife forward, cutting cleanly through skin, receiving several gargled screams until the voice -- and life -- abruptly ended.

9 years ago

"Happy birthday, Mellissa!" The woman's husband shouted as she walked into the dimly-lit room, and her cohorts from work and school shouted the same. Tears of joy welled up in her eyes as they all crowded around, offering gifts and cake. 

"We're so glad you were born, dear." Her step-mother cackled as she drew a slim knife from her bag... A

SOMETIMESIGETTHEURGETORAPEANDPILLAGEANDBURNANDMAKETHEWORLDOFMANPAYBONUS: 

... And slammed it into the woman's throat. The party-goers cheered happily as blood spewed out of the pretty woman's throat, coating the old woman in a spray of viscera. Normally grey hair turned a scarlet red, and sharp hues contrasted against the dim lighting of the room. A sharp little noise came out of her throat as she pawed fruitlessly against the shocking strength of an ordinarily feeble, sixty-something year old. 

"She's barely worthy of my son, but she'll have to do." The old woman muttered as the other guests ringed around, watching the woman twitch like a fish in the sun on the floor.

"And she stained my goddamn carpets." Her husband muttered as he hefted her corpse, and shoved it unceremoniously against the table. 

"Ladies and gentlemen," The old woman spoke, "we perform the Rite once more! Today, we prevent the unthinkable from happening. Today, we stop Him." As if on cue, the younger man shoved the knife into Mellisa's chest, and 

9 years ago

After wandering aimlessly for what seemed to be an eternity, I happened upon a young girl at the park, practically crying a river; she should consider herself lucky that I decided to sit next to her.

"Tyson, I can rememba when I was yo' age, fightin' in the war with erythin' I got. I wanna share some o' my courage with you, so take this watch from yer old Grandpa."

It was thirty days before the local authorities concluded that their case had taken a dead end, and guess who they called to clean up the mess?

After months of battling Leukemia, Sandra's prayers of escape would become only more narrow as the year came to an unsatisfactory close.

I could never decide whether or not I truly believed in the concept known as "love," and then Maria's embrace chose to pierce my throbbing chest with the speed of a runaway train.

9 years ago

By the way, I hope that my second one counts even though it is technically two sentences (I could not find another way to convey the idea without two separate sentences).

9 years ago

He smiled, but underneath it was plain to see, no matter what I did, he will always be broken.

"My father gave this to me when I was a boy, and now it's time to give it to you," the man said as he handed Ezekiel the long blade.

Her eyes lit up, filling my dark world with so much hope, her smile lit up the starry sky, and I knew that I had found the one.

"Bitch", he said as he threw the book in my direction.

"Here boy, here boy... aw good doggy."

9 years ago

Sorry its a bit late

1. "Jane wanted me to give this to you", he muttered in that strange southern drawl of his.

2.  The black-clad man rose his pale hands to the moon and the corpses rose with them.

3. "Take it", whispered the man as the fires of madness danced within his eyes.

4. Her thin lips drew back into a smile to reveal the blackened stumps of teeth, "consider it... a gift".

5. "Knowledge", proclaimed the robed figure in the center of the amphitheater "is the greatest gift anyone can ever give".

Sentence two is about the black-clad man giving the corpses the gift of life btw.

9 years ago
Oh, this a daily thing? Huh. I thought it was once a week. That's okay, daily is fine, and it might actually provide me more motivation...now there's an idea -- try to find a way to use these exercises to write parts of stories that are currently in progress......

She stood and stared at the archway and the large decorative rock just beyond it. The wind blew her long blonde hair across her face as she slowly stepped forward, flanked by the large ceremonial guards. A drum beat with each step they took as her eyes focus on the chains attached to the rock. The guards reached out to hold her arms as she wavered and almost fainted. She really didn't want to do this, but the ancient ways showed her that she was the one: she was to be the gift, no matter what she wanted.

9 years ago
BONUS:

The crowd stood and no one said a word: not even a whisper. They all watched as the gift was attached to the stone. Even the wind stopped as the guards stepped away from the girl. Everyone watched and waited. Suddenly a dark shape blocked the sun, just for a moment. Everyone looked up to see the massive silver scales of the dragon reflecting the sun as it landed near the gift. The girl let out a noise, almost a squeak, but then went limp as she fainted. The massive dragon looked over at the crowd, appeared almost to nod it's head, then reached out with a massive claw towards the girl. In one quick movement, it snatched her from the rock and took to flight. The crowd watched as the creature slowly disappeared towards the mountains of the east.

9 years ago

Wednesday! "Romance Week" continues on into "hump day" ... sadly, no, this next exercise has nothing to do with that. 

Let's make a date! Planning dates is something that a lot of people have trouble with, but if you ever want to write about a modern relationship, you'll most likely have to write one sooner or later. Write five sentence about dates in various locations and have at least one of each be "good," "bad," and "ugly." (One date that's going well, one that's going poorly, and one that's a total disaster.) The remaining two can be whatever you please.

Bonus: Pick a sentence and build a scene around it.

9 years ago

@31TeV @ecoLyte @TheNewIAP @Ogre11 @SpartacustheGreat @Morgan_R @Swiftstryker @betaband @nmelssx @Sethaniel @Malkalack @Chris113022 @Briar_Rose @MatGods @Deathdefender @Wolfmist @bjhovey @LeoScales7 @AWarriorFan @FazzTheMan @Claw2k11 @Romulus @ISentinelPenguinI

9 years ago

"I hope you die in a fire, you heartless bastard!" my girlfriend screamed with running make-up as she stormed out of my car;I guess I should have refrained from telling her that the dress was too tight.

Sarah could only shiver with glee during the movie as her boyfriend began to sensually kiss her in the movie theater.

Michael finished his plate with a sigh of content, eyeing the nearly finished steak of Marissa's meal. As waiter came to deliver the check, the young man began to sift through his pockets, only to come to a startling realization: he had left his wallet at home.

"We are farmers! BAA-BA-DUM-BUM-BUM-BUM-BUM!" Jess and Tyler could not stop laughing as the comedian pulled another excellent impression to energize the club's audience.

I should have listened when my dad told me to take Olivia to Red-Lobster...stupid McDonalds!

Bonus: Will come slightly later....

9 years ago

AHA! BONUS TIME!

It has been quite a while since I last went on a date. I think the last time was never...but eh, who's counting? I simply never found someone who could manage to be genuinely honest, compassionate, and loving to me. Anyone who seemed remotely interested in me typically saw me as a girl "ripe for the picking." I mean, I'm not necessarily gorgeous, but some (especially my cow of a mother) would claim that I have decent curves in the right places. As my teachers tell me and my father- "Mr. Valedictorian"- that my grades are fairly high, with a 4.0 GPA and enough sugar-coated praise to give me diabetes. I never do anything to change my situation, but I digress.

And then...the fire nation attacked, only, replace an angst-ridden, egotistical country with the man of my dreams: Christian. And sure enough, he attacked my preconceptions viciously, tore them to shreds, and I loved every minute.

You see, he isn't the type most girls would want to date, considering his demeanor. No, it's not narcissistic or overtly-intelligent (though he is certainly the latter, Lord Jesus!), but it's the way he treats them. Instead of choosing to treat one girl better than the others, he is the kind to usually treat them all on the same level, helping them all and treating them nicely-but never progressing further. I guess you could call it a turn off.

On top of that, he has strange interests, anime being one of them. He is a HUGE "otaku," as he calls himself. He is also heavily into science. He once told me that when he visited a restaurant with his family, he was measuring the displacement of the broth of his soup caused by his spoon. If that isn't nerdy, then I have no clue as to what that word even means. Which is why it really surprised me when only after knowing me for about a week, he decided to ask me out on a date. I still remember it:

"Hey, Maria, would you like to go to the movies this Saturday?" he asked with obvious nervousness.

"Sure, but why me?" I had a reason to doubt him, after all.

"Well, to be honest..."

Waiting to hear the typical "OMG UR SO SEXY LET'S FUCK" excuse, I was totally surprised and amazed to hear:

"My parents told me that I should try to go outside more often. I usually just work on outlines and watch anime on my weekends, so I can't blame them. But, if you're not up to it, that's fine as well."

Completely baffled, I accepted his request. I guessed that this weekend would be interesting...

And I was absolutely right: it was one of the best days in a long time. First, he took me out to dinner, and not to some crappy McDonalds; I mean, he pulled out his wallet and took me to Olive Garden, and treated me to whatever I wanted. Then, when I remembered that I had a Calculus problem that I had no idea how to solve, he told me the answer in a flash, AND told me the steps after we left the place. We then went shopping, where we made a deal; if he brought me to Macy's, I would treat him at Gamestop (of course, we both help our ends of the bargain).

And finally, we made it to the movies. I got to choose the movie-since I was the only one who still had money left-and we sat comfortably waiting for the 9:00 showing of The Fault In Our Stars to begin. I heard it was a sappy, girly movie, so I was surprised to hear that a man actually wanted to accompany me to such a flick. Of course, somewhere in the middle I began to sob like a madwoman, to the point where I instinctively chose to hold on tight to the person closest to me, that person being Christian.

Something clicked inside of me...it was like some kind of connection. He was so warm, so understanding-he immediately took me into his embrace and held me for as long as I needed. Thank God the lights were off, or everyone would have see me with flushed cheeks.

Soon enough, he whispered, "You know, you're definitely the most interesting girl I've ever seen." Denying that line with a nod into his chest was all I could do to stay cool. But he insisted, "No, I'm serious...You're absolutely amazing. I never would have done these things with a girl whom I didn't care about. I enjoyed every minute of today."

I looked into his eyes, lit blue by the movie screen, "Really? Do you mean that?"

"Of course I do? Would you like my proof?"

And then it happened: my first kiss. It was enchanting, emotional, happiness, laughs, cries; it was the only universe that existed, the only place where I could live. And most importantly, it was love. Then he stopped, but my body craved more. We started to make out hot and heavy in the back of the theater; I could only shiver with glee during the movie as Christian began to sensually kiss me. He even moved onto my neck, and I felt like the queen of the world.

Time flew by, and soon enough the movie was over, the eyes of females being drenched in tears, and cheeks flooded with red from emotion. I can't say I was any different. But it was made all the better when Christian left with me and drove me home, of course helping me to fix my make-up.

"If you ever need me, or want to see me again, just call me back at the number in your phone." As he drove off into the distance, there was no doubt in my mind that I would being seeing such an amazing man again. 

9 years ago

By the way, I had to alter my sentence (from the five) to fit the miraculous amount of inspiration I felt when writing this...I hope that counts.

9 years ago

Bonus : The average man would've figured that if women were measured by ten degrees of insanity, the very least they could be is a 4.  Well, suppose the average man stumbled upon a 2; would that be too much of a unicorn.  I pondered for a bit as I saw the brilliant cousin of my ex snuggle upon on my lap, her chocolate tresses a blanket of warmth on my waist.  Both of us, staring at the clear night sky, adventured across a myriad of dreams across the stars, the salty ocean air filling us up with the anticipation that something incredible might happen.

But when I bent down, stared at her starlight-blue eys, and locked lips with her, I figured something already did.

1. I pondered for a bit as I saw the brilliant cousin of my ex snuggle upon on my lap, her chocolate tresses a blanket of warmth on my waist.

2. I scratched my head sheepishly as Sherry gave me a big hug.  Sure, she was a child at heart, and though that was a blessing, her ignorance of my gay friend (the crown prince himself, for Christ's sakes!) was more than quite dangerous.  I swear I could hear all the kettles boil in the room at that moment.

3. The pasta was a dump, a lump of knowledge that I was the chump in the battle against this grump.  Porcelain platters shattered all over the floor, a shard in my foot the reward for my pain.  Out the door was a queer woman scorned, forevermore.

4. I was very well into Stephen King movies, and even moreso as the jump-scares gave me opportunities for a few butt-grabs.  No wonder courage was so valued, even among us bi's!

5.  As my fangs dug into her strong, pulsing neck, her eyes shut as a wave of euphoria overcame her.  I felt a few hairs tickle my nose without relent, but my increasingly harder bites did nothing to phase her.  In turn for my offense, my ear was smarted by a quick nip; if sleeping on the couch after a long day's of walking along the beach was a date, then this...intimate feeding session had to be.  I think.

9 years ago

Their hands rested right next to each other on the seat between them and slowly, ever so slowly, they moved closer until their fingers were intertwined; Hikari's smile could've lit up a small city.

"So, after my best clothes got splashed by some douche in a sports car driving past a puddle, my childhood crush told me that I was a lousy kisser and she just didn't feel any spark with me, and then I couldn't find my wallet, so the restaurant called the police on me... "

" ... And that was when I realized that my date was actually a vampire necromancer who wanted to recruit me into his army of mindless, undead, sex slaves in preparation for the culling of all 'unworthy' humans, so I had to drive a stake through his heart right there; the worst part is, I can never go back to that restaurant--or town, I guess--ever again."

The amusement park had been a blast so far; winning a stuffed panda for his crush, eating his favorite flavor of cotton candy together, the first kiss on the rollercoaster, the second one in that cheesy--but thankfully dark--"tunnel of love"... he couldn't remember a better evening.

He sat in the park, with the picture of his lost lover beside him in its usual pretty frame, as he chatted with a ghost and ate his small, picnic lunch for one; true, lots of people stared at him with either pity or looks that clearly questioned his sanity, but he didn't care.  

9 years ago

The Good:

"I never thought we'd get along so well, being the magical deviant that you are."

And as we gazed into each other's eyes that night, we knew in our hearts that we had become something more than just, "It's complicated".

The Bad:

Yes, Riccio stole all of the silver forks when the waiter wasn't looking, but he did it in such a charming way that Esther couldn't help but tolerate him.

The Ugly:

"Hey now," said Krigagius, putting his greatsword away, "It's okay if you don't agree with my philosophies, but we're on a date, and that guy just groped you, I should at least sever one of his feet!"

"HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN!?" Martin screamed, trying to fight off the violent clowns and rabid horses that had just invaded the bedroom.

Bonus: (Not Finished Yet!)

(I feel ALMOST tempted to make an RP out of this setting… Probably not with Machismos’s tower of Speed-dating as the primary setting, but…)

"I never thought we'd get along so well, being the magical deviant that you are." Maegis the Healer said half-jokingly, his bright yellow High Elven eyes complemented by the candlelight of the labyrinthian restaurant. Elyr smiled at this.

"Me neither," said Elyr, "I thought you were going to be the same nerd that you were in the Mage's College."

"I still am!" Maegis said, almost offended, "Do you dare insinuate that I, Maegis the Healer, have slacked in my studies of magic?"

"No, but you don't wear khaki robes and spectacles anymore."

Maegis was sitting at a romantic little circular table for two, across from a beautiful White Elf necromancer named Elyr. The only reasons they weren't presently trying to kill each other were because they each seemed pleasant and lovely to the other, now that they could actually talk, and there was more than the faintest possibility that this could either lead to true love, or glorious sex.

Maegis and his adventuring party had recently signed up for the services provided by Machismos the Great, a playboy philanthropist teleportation mage. Having an uneven balance of genders and too many interpersonal conflicts to even consider mating amongst themselves, they enlisted the help of Machismos, (for a fee of 1,000 gold each, unless they were to clear out any Giant Rat nests found in his basement...) to set them up with others of relatable class and personality.

Indeed, Machismos the Great was the speed dating website of Kalamarg, and great heroes, detestable villains, and average peasants would often ask (and pay) for his help. Every night he would teleport two consenting adults at random, based on their qualifications, to a table in the labyrinth of his basement, with meals prepared. If the first date didn't work out, the next one would be free. The rat nests, and other oversized vermin that lived in controlled areas, would provide limitless adventure to those who were bored by traditional dinner. And there were so many places to have dinner! Large, open rooms would serve as bistros, and smaller ones would become taverns. The two would simply need to grab a seat at a venue of their choosing.

Machismos became a very rich mage, and a household name. It was not uncommon to hear a couple say, "I met him/her at Machismos'!"

Of course, the Healer and the Necromancer were quite surprised to see each other. They had gone to the same magic school together, but Necromancy was highly discouraged. Needless to say, she was kicked out for practicing it, and became a minor plot-arc villain for a few D-list adventurers, [Adventurers like Maegis and Co., for example] for a few years before people realized that she wasn't actually evil. True Neutral, in fact!

“So,” Maegis began, “How’s the Necromancy business going?”

“Not well. I decided to become an adventurer nowadays, so my thralls can get used to the sunlight and have a higher tolerance for Turn Undead rolls.”

“Oh, good! What are your plans for the future?”

“I think I’ll gather up my gold hoard, settle down, build a cabin, and have a few kids.” said Elyr.

“Oh…” Maegis got quiet. This was a major red flag, as his livelihood (and the livelihood of his “employees”) depended on doing the exact opposite of that.

“Just kidding!” Elyr said, after a few seconds of awkward pause, "Gods, you're serious!"

A half-second of awkward, forced laughter followed. Maegis was not a jolly, sense-of-humor-having Elf… Unlike the Necromancer across from him.

More silence followed, but they soon began to discuss things they did have in common, which devolved into a deep, intimate, and highly advanced discussion on the fundamentals of magic, which no one, not even the Narrator, in all his incredible handsomeness and manly glory, could possibly translate to any reader who was not also a level-30 magic user.

Meanwhile, at one of the more casual dining areas, was Maegis’s colleague, Riccio. Riccio was a rogue, which is a fancy term that people use when they can’t tell whether someone is a thief or an assassin. To be fair, Riccio’s skillset would be a great fit for either occupation, and to be fairer, he did so much thievery and backstabbing and lying in his line of work that he was either a stealthy bandit or just… A rogue?

Clearly it was no mystery why he was single, which made it inevitable that he would have to sign up for Machismos’s program. He figured that now was as good a time as ever, because, as it was Adventurer Party Appreciation Month, he was in the practice of giving out group discounts. He could only wonder who on earth Machismos would send…

9 years ago
1. Looking beyond the railing and across the ocean, he reached over and gently took her hand.
2. She stood up in the middle of the restaurant, knocking the table hard enough to rattle the dishes as she yelled, "NO!"
3. The slap rang out, echoing off the walls of the art gallery and his cheek instantly started turning red.
4. He tentatively stretched and reached his arm around behind her, softly resting it across her shoulders and pulling her close.
5. He winked at her as he jumped up from his chair and headed for the microphone, hoping that the song he picked would be one that she liked.

9 years ago
BONUS:

Temerious stood there, his cheek turning bright red, in complete shock. He didn't know what to say. He watched Jentarin step back away from him, her flowing green dress moving with her every step. He looked over at another of the patrons who gave him a disgusted look. He shrugged and turned back to Jantarin. The musicians in the corner continued to play soft music as he moved towards her.

"What? What did I say?"

Her countenance changed suddenly and she laughed, "Oh, it's nothing. Come along, let's go!" She grabbed his hand and pulled him, almost running towards the exit.

9 years ago

Thursday! You know, I've always thought Valentine's was too damn sappy and cheesy as a holiday. (Especially considering its rumored origins.) So, instead of sweet, let's make today's entries tragic! Write five sentences about a doomed love, a romance that simply cannot be, for one reason or another.

Bonus: Pick one of your sentences and then expand it into a scene. If possible, try to make the ending into a real tear-jerker, I wanna see some waterworks. >:D *evil cackle*  (Head's up, this bonus exercise will be important for tomorrow~)

9 years ago

@31TeV @ecoLyte @TheNewIAP @Ogre11 @SpartacustheGreat @Morgan_R @Swiftstryker @betaband @nmelssx @Sethaniel @Malkalack @Chris113022 @Briar_Rose @MatGods @Deathdefender @Wolfmist @bjhovey @LeoScales7 @AWarriorFan @FazzTheMan @Claw2k11 @Romulus @ISentinelPenguinI @GrottyStatute74

9 years ago
Jimmy looked down at his shoes, apparently deep in thought. Juanita only gave him a moment before she continued, "Really, Jimmy, our love cannot be, even if we want it to be -- there is no way it can last and no one will ever approve of our union."

Jimmy looked over at her, focusing on her bright blue wings and said, "I don't care what others think, I love you!"

Juanita sighed as she fluttered to the top of the fencepost. "I know Jimmy, but I'm a bluebird and you're a horse!"

9 years ago
BONUS:

Jimmy stamped his foot, then flapped his wings, flying up the the same fencepost, saying, "Look, I know I'm a little overweight, but farmer John always puts out that darn suet, and I just can't resist it. You know how good that stuff tastes."

Juanita replied, "Jimmy, look at yourself. You're the size of three bluebirds. I love you, but I don't know how your wings have the strength to lift you off the ground." She reached out with a wing to touch his beak as she continued, "What would my father say? You know he calls you 'cow-boy,' and not because you wear a hat."

Jimmy hopped a little closer and the fencepost shook a little as he came to rest next to Juanita. He looked deep in her eyes as he said, "I don't care. I want to be with you. Look, I found a hole in the side of the barn right next to the suet feeder. No one has claimed it, and I want it to be our home. We will have plenty to eat and there's even a bird bath around the side. We can't control your father, but when you lay some eggs, I bet he'll come around. Come on, be mine, please!"

Juanita looked across the field and towards the barn. "Jimmy... Jimmy..." She turned to face him and said, "Okay, I'll do it. Show me your hole in the barn. I want to be with you and have your eggs."

Jimmy flapped his wings for joy and cried out, "Yes, yes, yes! You have made me the happiest bird in the world! I can't wait, let's go there now."

Suddenly there was a very loud bang and the space above the fence post had only a single feather floating in the breeze. Farmer John stood nearby with a shotgun and could be heard muttering, "I hate bluebirds" before he headed back to the farmhouse.

9 years ago

Gently stroking her hand, as he cradled it with the other, he whispered softly "Didn't I tell you it was ''til death do us part?'"

"Officer! Please listen to me, she's insane and I think she's here in my house right now!"

With an expression of complete revulsion he pulled away, scrambling over the coffee table as he made his escape, exclaiming "You're a dude?!"

His fingers traced her delicate silhouette in the dim light coming from the hallway, his breath shallow and his pulse rapid..."Ssst! Paper cut!"

He said we'd be together forever, that our love would last for all eternity, and I find out from his wife that he's married?!

Bonus:
A soft breeze rustles the leaves causing the sunlight to flicker and dance on the blanket below.

A woman is leaning against the tree, her hair shrouding her face and cascading over the front of her bright summer dress.  In her lap is the head of her lover, beaming up at her.  His smile warm and sincere, his eye's locked on the face of this beautiful creature.

He caresses her cheek and brushes back her hair, pinning it behind her ear, exposing a grim expression and her eyes welling with tears, transfixed on his.

Her lips tremble and in a quavering voice she says "I'm sorry, but I have to go.  It just isn't working out like we planned.  It'll be okay, you'll find someone else..."

Gently stroking her hand as he cradles it with the other, he whispers softly "Didn't I tell you it was ''til death do us part?'"

9 years ago

There was never enough time, even for Cara; her embrace, her words, her smile, all seemed to quickly fade from my grasp; all appeared to bow before the might of my cancer.

“There will never be anybody else like you…You know that right?!” Anthony called with sincerity. Looking back to him one last time, she knew that leaving was the only option; she couldn’t take the guessing games anymore.

There was nothing left to mourn, for only my wife’s shoe remained unscathed from the wreck this afternoon.

Holding onto Tomoya’s dangling body by the mere palm of his hand, Mizune watched in mental anguish as her one true love gave a final farewell, releasing his grip to fall into the bottomless chasm.

There was nothing left to say, and I knew what I had done. Putting everything into her actions, Sandra pulled the trigger, releasing the world from the burden of my sins.

Bonus:

May 17th, 2012

There was never enough time, even for Cara; her embrace, her words, her smile, all seemed to quickly fade from my grasp; all appeared to bow before the might of my cancer.

But the funny thing is, I hadn’t even met the beast in my stomach until about five years ago. I remember being in the middle of a baseball game, and ready to get up to the plate. I was pretty famous at the time; the crowd cheered in a streak of madness while the opposing team cursed my name to oblivion.

Stepping up to the plate, I was going to show the world what Justin King was made of, and then I felt an overwhelming surge of pain in my gut. Overcome with nausea, I doubled over and heaved as soon as the pitcher decided to throw the ball. I blacked out soon after, but it was only later that I was told of what happened after: the ball barely missed my head, and what I had heaved was in fact blood.

It was then when I was told about my tumor. Apparently, it had grown to an immense size, yet was still barely visible beneath the skin. The doctor said I needed immediate hospitalization, and at that moment I asked him about how long I had.

He said that I had at two years to live at best.

And I nearly died multiple times over the same time span. I was left a shell of my former self. I was nearly emaciated, all hints of my baseball career gone up in smoke; the same with my contract, the heartless bastards. And then, I lost the company of my friends and family; many a night I have spent in the dark room of the hospital, alone in silence save the ticking of the clock. I used that time to beg for my death. I had even planned for suicide, and then someone came to save me a little over a year ago: my girlfriend, Cara.

First just a substitute nurse from another hospital, she was nearly my age, just out of college, and the one who saved my life. On April 5th, 2011, I had planned to remove my IV and slit my neck with the scalpel in the operating room. Just before I could do it though, I had asked her what her goal was for the coming summer.

She said as clear as day, “I’m going to stay right in this room with you.”

I tried to dissuade her. If our places were switched, I would have already agreed to change my plans. But she was different. I asked why, and she responded, “Because I couldn’t stay when my dad died from cancer. He was suffering, and I couldn’t even be in the room to have him tell me that he loved me. I was angry at him for getting sick-I was too young to know better. And then he died the next day…”

Tears fell as waterfalls, cascading down with the force of thunder and the speed of lightning. “I don’t want to abandon someone else the same way.”

Holding my hand against her cheek, I swore, “Then I guess, I’ll have to live longer than your daddy, huh? Don’t worry, I’ll pull through.”

I made sure to live. I abandoned any hope of suicide. Living is hard, but leaving a girl like that is even worse. So I did, keeping the spark between us alive, all to see her smile once again.

But today, things don’t look too good. The tumor is spreading faster than the Kemo can kill it, and once again I’m losing a lot of weight. Maybe it’s the way the doctors whisper when I pretend that I’m sleeping, or way that Cara’s eyes look so vacant when she sees me, but I think I’m dying.

And today might be just the day. The swallows chirp and whistle cheerfully from the tree outside of my room’s open window, and the slight wind caresses my skin with the warmth of a thousand suns. My family even came to see me today, hearing about my worsening condition. Today is absolutely exhilarating.

I hope that I can tell Cara what I’ve wanted to say for the past six months.

I want to make my last stand in the world with my last hurrah; a stand at the plate; a grand slam.

Suddenly, Cara walks into the room, eyes solemn as usual of late, and I put down my journal. I call out to her weakly, “Cara.”

“Yes, Justin.”

I want to tell her, and I do. “I love you.”

In an instant, tears roll down her face.

“I want to tell you…”

Fall.

“…that you are the most amazing girl in the world.”

Downpour.

“That no one could ever take your place.”

Breakdown.

“That even if the sky were to fall, even if I were to die, I would be there by your side.”

Collapse.

“And remember…”

Freedom.

“That I will always love you.”

9 years ago

Bonus: "No, no... it... it mustn't be..." The reply came then, several minutes after. He turned away, numb, a tear leaving a trail down his cheek.

"But Mr. Toad... what about us? What's going to happen?" Her voice cracked at the end, as she angrily attempted to scrub out the forming tears with the back of her hand.

"I suppose I'll leave. We'll never see each other again."

The words stabbed into her heart like a dagger. She gasped, not bothering to stop the torrent of tears, as she began to sway, light-headed. She wanted to scream at the cruelty of the world, she wanted to curse the love gods for ever interfering with her... and she would have, had there not been any others in the house. She hobbled to him, sniffing. "Oh Toad... I love you..." With that, she planted a kiss on his slimy, wet back.

The old man brooded, looking out the window. "As I do you," He croaked, not wanting to meet her gaze. The old frog leapt out the window, and she, through her sobbing, could hear him splash into the nearby pond and paddle away...

9 years ago

"I'm sorry, but I can't love a figment of my imagination." 

The glass made an audible crunch when the woman stepped on it, shocked at the display of infidelity playing out before her... 

"NO!" The finely-dressed maiden in the tower screamed, as the knight fighting for her spat out his lifeblood through his gorget. 

"Why do you keep calling me Rolando when we make love?" 

She slipped off Stefan's shirt, lustful as she clamored for his flesh, and gasped. Four bolts hold a plate over his heart. 

#EATSOMEBACONBONUS: 

"I'm sorry, but I can't love a figment of my imagination." The words sounded clipped, hollow. Like a voice-mail machine. The blonde, pretty, but faceless creature in front of him looked up cautiously. 

"What?" She asked, cautious. 

"You aren't real. None of this is real." He explained patiently. He wasn't met with a response, but the woman began to sob. "I'm sorry... but you're just a figment of my imagination." 

He took this moment of silence to look around their hotel room. It was well-furnished, with a huge, (if slightly ragged) king sized bed. Glasses of empty champagne littered the floor. 

"How could you..." She muttered. He didn't respond. "You traitor! You said we would be together forever!" Her voice keened inside his head, irritating him. His ears rung. 

"I didn't know." His voice was flat. 

"You betrayed me." She muttered, before pouncing. Fangs and claws sprouted from her, and her once-pretty face morphed into something hideous. He waved a hand, and she disappeared into a haze of dust, but not before slamming through the wall in their room. 

John lived out the rest of his medically induced  in solitude, before quietly slipping into a realm of purity and innocence... right? 

9 years ago

1 Corduroy held the little hand, big in his miniscule teddy-bear arms, as the first tears rolled down his face.  Her blood would be washed off this way, though...well, the escalator wasn't going to be clean for some time.

2 "No...no...no no no.  I-I just...g-got you...

...how?  Why?!"

I suppose, said Everett as a deep rumble reverberated in his throat, that I should thank you.  But I can hardly do that when you're mad at me...

And I was.  Lying only the floor was my body, still twitching without a head to direct it.  The lower end of my spinal cord was sticking out of my neck; the top end was still on my head.  Y'know, after all we went through...I just thought...well, I thought he truly did forget about him being the lord of all the Nosferatu.  I figured his sweet smile would be back, and then after we'd wipe out all of those copies...those unoriginal leeches...we could live in the sun.  Together.

Dammit.  Just...dammit all.

4 As much as I loved John, along with his devilish smile and his swept-back hair...as much as I loved his kind and tolerating parents, well...I just didn't like it up the ass.

I didn't like him up the ass.

And as he was lying on the floor, moaning in pain after I practically castrated him, I knew it in my heart : I had been pressured to do so many weird things in order to "feel" normal.  Shit, even my own dick knew it too : this whole "coming out" thing wasn't such a good idea after all.  Not in a country where "coming out" somehow became equated to "sex fiend".  I figured...was sex really based on our love?  Was our love based on sex?  Did all my coming out, my getting exiled from my own family, all my troubles...equate to this?

I stomped on his bladder again, still angry about the lingering, sickly warmth he left in my digestive tract.

5 "Jack, never let go!"

"If I do, Rose, we'll sink with the Lusitani-"

His plead was cut off as a bullet tore through both his lungs.  He was at a lost for words.

9 years ago

Friday! Well, I've had enough of this tragedy stuff, how 'bout you? This time, let's try some comedy! =) Re-write the ending to your previous scene so it turns out to be funny or silly. If you didn't write a scene before, go ahead and do so now. If your previous entry was already silly in some way, you can either opt to make it more ridiculous or go for a shocking twist at the end instead.

Super Bonus: Now let's play it straight. Re-write the scene's ending one last time and make a truly happy ending for your couple.

9 years ago

@31TeV @ecoLyte @TheNewIAP @Ogre11 @SpartacustheGreat @Morgan_R @Swiftstryker @betaband @nmelssx @Sethaniel @Malkalack @Chris113022 @Briar_Rose @MatGods @Deathdefender @Wolfmist @bjhovey @LeoScales7 @AWarriorFan @FazzTheMan @Claw2k11 @Romulus @ISentinelPenguinI @GrottyStatute74

9 years ago
When we last saw our intrepid birds...

Juanita looked across the field and towards the barn. "Jimmy... Jimmy..." She turned to face him and said, "Okay, I'll do it. Show me your hole in the barn. I want to be with you and have your eggs."

Jimmy flapped his wings for joy and cried out, "Yes, yes, yes! You have made me the happiest bird in the world! I can't wait, let's go there now."

The two birds jumped off the fencepost and Jimmy immediately headed for the ground. He flapped his wings as hard as he could, and that kept him above all but the tallest stalks of grass and weeds. Juanita flew above and around him as he struggled to stay aloft.

"Jimmy, come on! I want to see this hole!"

Jimmy puffed, "We're almost there, just a little more." He flew in a jagged pattern, trying to gain altitude, but absolutely failing when he tried to coast. He swerved to avoid a rather large cow patty and bounced off the ground just momentarily as he continue to flutter towards the barn. When they were near, he stopped flying and started walking.

"See look," he said, while pointing with a wing, "look at the size of that suet feeder! There's enough food there for years." And indeed, where he pointed there was a large bird feeder with four huge blocks of suet surrounding a bowl full of bird seed.

Juanita smiled and said, "Oh, that is great, Jimmy. Now where is the hole? I want to make some eggs!"

Jimmy walked towards the small barn and said, "Hey, it's right up there. Here, I'll show you." Jimmy took off the ground with a leap and flapped his wings hard. About three feet off the ground, just before he was about to run out of energy, he reached a small crack in the wall of the barn. He cried, "Here!" as he headed for the hole. He dove towards it and promptly got stuck.

Juanita, hovering behind him, called out, "Jimmy? Jimmy? Are you okay?"

His voice muffled by the wood, Jimmy called back, "Can you bring some of that suet around to the other side of the wall for me?"

9 years ago
Super Bonus:

Juanita shot straight up in the air, wings flapping. Jimmy jumped off the post and flapped his wings hard, keeping him flying, but without the grace and agility of Juanita. He called out, "Come on, this way!" as he headed across the field and towards the barn. Juanita chirped happily and flew with Jimmy.

When the arrived at the barn, Jimmy flew straight to the side of the barn where he disappeared in a small hole in the side. A moment later, his head appeared and he called out, "Over here, come on!"

Juanita headed for the hole like a bullet and easily slipped through the entrance. Inside there was not much extra room, but Jimmy and Juanita snuggled up together and prepared to make eggs...

...and they lived happily ever after!

9 years ago

"I'm sorry, but I can't love a figment of my imagination." The words sounded clipped, hollow. Like a voice-mail machine. The blonde, pretty, but faceless creature in front of him looked up cautiously. 

"What?" She asked, cautious. 

"You aren't real. None of this is real." He explained patiently. He wasn't met with a response, but the woman began to sob. "I'm sorry... but you're just a figment of my imagination." 

He took this moment of silence to look around their hotel room. It was well-furnished, with a huge, (if slightly ragged) king sized bed. Glasses of empty champagne littered the floor. 

"How could you..." She muttered. He didn't respond. "You traitor! You said we would be together forever!" Her voice keened inside his head, irritating him. His ears rung. 

"I didn't know." His voice was flat. 

"You betrayed me." She muttered, before pouncing. Fangs and claws sprouted from her, and her once-pretty face morphed into something hideous. He waved a hand, and she disappeared into a haze of dust, but not before slamming through the wall in their room. 

John lived out the rest of his medically induced  in solitude, before quietly slipping into a realm of purity and innocence... right? 

.. Wrong. He slipped downward, falling through the false scenery of the dream. The world warped around him, and he slammed into something moist at the bottom.  The entrance to the cavern above him closed off, leaving him in darkness. 

Something dribbled down his neck and face, coating John's head in saliva and I'll finish this later. 

9 years ago

The Funny Version of my Bonus:

It’s amazing how fast the weather appears to change with my mood and my welfare. The minute that my condition worsens, it’s as if the sky takes a hint and decides to make hurricanes. But today is different; the sun is shining down upon the world with an unnatural amount of heat, and the birds outside my window are chirping gleefully as though I could afford to sweat like a pig.

But today seems like the best day in a long time. I actually feel good, maybe even enough to walk around, and I can finally tell Cara how I feel about her. I want to make the world fall to its knees; make another attempt at the plate; hit a grand slam.

No sooner than when I finish the thought, my angel walks through the room, and she can obviously sense my mood. “Good morning, Justin,” she says after assessing my face. “I see someone’s in a good mood today.”

“Of course! Who could be sad when a girl like you walks into the room?!”

“Oh, stop it, Justin! You’re making me blush…”

“But I’m serious!”

“Says the guy staring holes into my boobs!”

“Well, I can’t deny that.” She DOES have excellent cleavage.

“You’re such a perv. I don’t know how the other nurses could even stand to be in the same room as you, let alone treat you!” she states with false contempt.

“But you have to admit: at least I’m an HONEST pervert.”

Shaking her head in defeat, she responds, “I guess you’re right.” In a flash, she starts posing, pushing out cleavage, accentuating those oh-so-sexy curves, while asking, “So what does the ‘honest’ pervert think of this body?”

“He thinks that it’s beautiful; befitting of the only woman he could ever love.”

At moment, she claims that she has to go to the bathroom. But all the while, nothing could have masked the look on her face: a beautiful smile.

9 years ago

Now for the Super Bonus:

Today is the greatest day of my life.

Earlier this morning, the doctor said that I can finally get off the Chemo-therapy, and that the tumor has been miraculously eradicated. He had said, “I’ve never seen someone with such a severe case like yours make such a full recovery. You should thank your lucky stars-you may even get to go home tomorrow.”

After that statement, I nearly jumped for joy off of the bed and shook his hand with all the strength I could muster. However, he said that I had to settle down, and get the last few check-ups today so that I can leave first thing tomorrow morning.

Then, I had a shocking revelation: if I left the hospital, I may never get to see Cara as often, if not ever again. I couldn’t live with that even without the cancer! I owe my life and soul to her, more than she could ever know, so I made my third great resolution. I would tell her how I feel, and hope that she reciprocates my feelings.

Spending the time since then to draw upon all reserves of courage, I think that now I’m ready to attempt it. I press the emergency button near my bed, to call for Cara’s help (that’ll get her running!), and in about five minutes, she arrives at the room.

As I expected, she came in a hurry (that’s what the emergency button is there for, after all), hair loose over her shoulders, sweat dripping from her creased brow, and obviously annoyed by what she sees. “Do you mean to tell me that you pressed that button and you weren’t even SLIGHTLY injured?”

“What? Do you want me to be?”

“After this stunt of yours, maybe.”

“Geez…could you be any more harsh?” I ask nonchalantly. But then I regain my composure, and tell her, “Anyway, it was urgent, to me at least.”

I caught her attention. “Okay then, what’s up?”

“First, I need you to shut the doors and windows.” Feeling a little bit awkward, but compliant, nonetheless, she follows my instructions. “Next, I need you to sit next to me.”

“Where is this going?”

“Relax! Just do it!” Once again, she listens, and then, “For my last request, close your eyes.”

I wait a moment to steel my resolve, and then it comes forth. “I love you.”

Before she can get away, I draw her close and place my lips upon hers, hopefully not forcefully, and to my surprise and joy, she responds nicely. Our kiss grows more intimate, until I stop.

“Why did you stop?” she asks with a disappointed look in her eyes.

“I just wanted to be clear. I have loved you ever since we first met. You saved my life, and the least I could do is give you everything. I also wanted to tell you that my tumor is gone and that I can leave the hospital tomorrow.”

She begins to shed tears of joy, hugging me and telling me that she is so proud to see me make it out of my situation. But I tell her that I’m not finished.

“What I want to say is, I can’t live without you. When I walk out of those double doors tomorrow, I want to do it knowing that I can see you every day, and know that you have the same feelings for me.” She looks at me intently, seemingly pensive.

“So now, for my real-final request: Will you love me until the day I die?”

My answer is not words, but in actions. She gives me a kiss filled with more love and passion than I have ever known before. The world is made complete just by her existence.

As for her answer:

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

9 years ago

"I'm a girl."

...what?

I didn't say much of anything, considering the fact that I had considered him a man all this time, attributing his childish voice to his youth and...

...well, if he was a girl, he was hideous.  So, the two of us, stuck in a hole in a mountain in the middle of nowhere were supposed to be the new beginning of all life?  Really?!

"...so, the queen of all vampires is a lesbo?  For a furball like me?"

She nodded.

"...y'know...back at the house of the Progenitor, didn't he say that our survival was dependent on us...you know...?"

She nodded again.

"We're the last of our kind left, and...okay, wow.  And I thought you'd grow up to be a handsome man ready to sweep me off my feet...bummer..."

"Are you done whining yet?"

"Hell no!  Th-this...no!  None of this is right!  I mean, sure it was wrong before, but even down to a biological level, even fucking can't have a place anymore!  No!"

"Y-you know, I thought you'd have taken it a lot easi-"

"What was the first thing I ever said to you?!"

"...um...get on the move, leech?"

"My first tip of advice, stupid!"

"Don't....oh...don't assu-"

"And you went right on and did just that!  You're still a kid!"

She looked sullen with guilt now.  No, I wasn't even going to give her even the time to get that emotion.

"In fact, you were the last choice I had.  I could've saved Orthos, Tybalt, Spitz, and oh my GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?  Now what?!  I'm stuck with a horny teen girl in a hole, on the freaking Himalayas- [tbc] 

Week One Scores!

9 years ago

YOUR FIRST WEEK SCORES:
(Subtractions from regular 5, 10, and 15 point additions are made for missing sentences and incomplete scenes. Keep in mind, please, that you are allowed to work on scenes / sentences for the entire week, I will count exercises that you went back and finished, but once Saturday hits, the work you've done is judged.)

31TeV - 0  
ecoLyte - 0  
TheNewIAP - 25  
Ogre11 - 80
SpartacustheGreat - 0
Morgan_R - 5
Swiftstryker - 45
betaband - 5
nmelssx - 5
Sethaniel - 8
Malkalack - 32
Chris113022 -  0
Briar_Rose - 0
MatGods - 10
Deathdefender - 0
Wolfmist - 15
bjhovey - 0
LeoScales7 - 60
AWarriorFan - 0
FazzTheMan - 18
Claw2k11 - 0
Romulus - 5
ISentinelPenguinI - 29
GrottyStatute74 - 0

Our First Week Winner is: Ogre11 ! Congratulations!

First week, second place: LeoScales7 ! Great work!

Great effort you guys! I'll be posting Week Two's first exercise and theme on Monday! =) I will also try to catch up on my feedback and I encourage all of you to participate in the feedback thread, even if you haven't participated much in the exercises of this week.

Week One Scores!

9 years ago

I've been caught up in homework and stuff, so I haven't been online... I will start next week though... sorry once again.

Week One Scores!

9 years ago

Don't sweat it. I look forward to seeing your entries next week, then.

Week One Scores!

9 years ago

Wow...I actually placed second. That's pretty good, but I was waiting for extra feedback from you, @Kiel_Farren (I know that you were probably busy).

Anyway, in any event, I loved the weekly exercise! I hope to participate again in the future.

Week One Scores!

9 years ago

Faithful participation is the main thing and, well, the scores reflect that.

Busy? Yes, very much so, but I will try to catch up on feedback. I'm also insanely tired these days.

Week One Scores!

9 years ago
Yay, me!

Hey, thanks for keeping it going and making it fun!

Week One Scores!

9 years ago

Because 3rd is unfathomable ;m;

Week One Scores!

9 years ago

xD ... Third place exists, I just didn't post it.

Week One Scores!

9 years ago

;m;