Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

What do you look for in a Fantasy Story?

9 years ago

I am having a go at writing a Fantasy Epic but outside of Lord of the Rings I have no knowledge of the genre so I am wondering what do Fantasy Fans like reading? I imagine it's some of the following:

- Interesting and unusual creatures that are original enough to inspire interest

- An exciting story in unfamiliar lands that have enough detail to be believable

- Main characters we can identify with facing extremely mentally, physically and emotionally challenging dangers and situations.

So, specifically what are people's favorite fantasy books or series and why? (or if you don't like the genre why not?)

9 years ago

I usually read it for the violence, magic, and Dark Elf sex, but a creative plot is always nice.

9 years ago

Stray away from cliches and other annoyances, like:

• Black and White Morality
  • Races that are "always chaotic evil"
  • Using the word "sentient" to refer to human-like races.
  • Explicitly stating that the use of a certain type of magic isn't evil, only to have all people who use that form of magic be unambiguously evil.

Here are some things I would personally like to see in a Fantasy story:

• An alliance between humans and orcs. Let's face it, the way orcs are portrayed in most fantasies, they have more in common with real-life humans than Elves do.
  • A dragon mage. Yes, shouting in Skyrim was supposed to be a form of magic, and in most settings, dragons are said to be practitioners of magic. So, why don't we ever see more than just fire or ice breath?
  • Draco-lich. That is all.
  • Were-bears. No were-sharks or were-alligators, just were-bears.
  • A vampire swordsman. Yes, I get that they are powerful mages and crafty assassins, but I want a fucking vampire swordsman. Kiel_Farren's character Fang is the closest thing that's ever come to sating my appetite for such a character.
  • Hidden: A medical mage who shows himself to be a powerful healer, only to reveal later that he was actually an assassin specializing in medical sabotage, who would infiltrate a camp by shaping his body to look like that of the camp's medic and then using magical weaves to heal all of the infirmed soldiers' wounds, only to undo the weaves when given a special signal, causing the soldiers to return to their previous injured states.

9 years ago

I'd agree that grey areas are often necessary for depth in a story where you're going for compelling conflict.

I'd argue that it depends on the orcs and your view of humanity, but I have wanted to see that alliance before, and I have actually seen it a couple times. Briefly. WoW comes to mind. (Honest-to-God dragon mages do exist, they're just rare. Actually, one of my RP characters has a dragon buddy who uses mostly lightning, ice, and wind "magic":P No fire breath.) Draco-lich is, indeed, a thing and a good thing that is ... surprisingly rare. The only were-bear I've ever seen was in The Hobbit.

Thanks. I was contemplating having him participate in an actual sword-fight in one path. (Also, vampire swordsmen do exist, but again, they're rare. The only one that comes to mind was in a ... pretty god-awful movie.)

I've contemplated that last idea of yours many times. Maybe because this: Link is a favorite trope of mine.

9 years ago
Thank you.

9 years ago

For ... what?

9 years ago
Eh, I like it when people agree with me on things.

9 years ago

Wheel of time series.

- Amazing detail, plot, character changes. Starts with a blacksmith apprentice, a troublemaker, and a sheep herder. Ends with, well, I can't tell you that without spoiling it.

- High fantasy. (a completely made up world rather than reusing this one)

- A definite 'good' and a definite 'bad' sides to the story, but there is often that blur between 'good' and 'bad, especially towards the end. 

- Different cultures, what cultures are based on. Example; Aeil - based off of 'honor', Seanchan - based off of the enslavement of people who can cannel (do magic), A-name-I-can't-remember-how-to-spell - based off of kindness and not harming anyone, even in defense of your life or your families.

- Prophecies, but when they are carried through, done in a way the makes sense but no one thought of.

- 'Old tongue' a language that is mostly forgotten, but when used, adds a bit of a mysterious aspect or boldness (depending on where it's used)

- A big difference in how magic was used. Something origional.

- complex plots, thick with political maneuvers and battles by expert generals.

9 years ago

Other than the wheel of time previously mentioned.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

. An amazing storyline with hidden agendas, and strange loyalties and many good characters. (Although one could argue he had way too many characters.)

He killed off many of his characters, which made the reader feel the loss of a loved character and be more emotionally attached to the story.

Again having races whose society was based on an aspect. Seguleh whose society and government was based on who was the best fighter. 

Not having it black and white

George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

-The whole killing off characters thing

- A major storyline and none of the players know what the others will do.

- Again the not everything is black and white. Tyrion for example.

- A massive world-wide threat that no one is paying attention to (excluding the watch.)

9 years ago

If I may ask...  What was the world-wide threat in A Song of Ice and Fire?

@jaryeth

9 years ago

I haven't read them, but I think the zombie thing?

9 years ago

White walkers

9 years ago

Ah...  Thanks guys.

9 years ago

Thanks for your feedback guys, I've made a check list of what to try and include and hopefully my Fantasy Story Game will be a decent read, or at least not so bad people cover their eyes and try to "unsee" it :D

9 years ago

If you choose to have magic, don't make it "all good". One thing that made Conan awesome was that most (if not all) of the "wizards" were evil.

9 years ago

Thanks Malk and will do. I'm not sure if it's magic but the supernatural stuff is both good and bad :)

9 years ago

As it should be. Any story that makes supernaturally powers either totally good or totally evil is ... usually boring or narrow-minded.

9 years ago

Haha, I'm not sure if it will have enough depth to satisfy everyone but it is a multi-story branch story with puzzle and romance elements. Hopefully I can get it finished in the next month or two, I did ten hours writing last night so I'm pretty tired now :) But the supernatural powers all have their own agendas and they all feel justified in doing the right thing so eventually the reader will have to decide which he prefers.

9 years ago
I'm personally a big fan of very grey characters and a dark & gritty crapsack world.

On a similar note, I like to see stupidity punished rather than strictly moral or immoral actions.

I can do with or without magic, but if there is magic, it has to establish a framework of rules/limitations and stick to them. Magical ass-pulls are really annoying and lazy.

I don't have a bias for or against any type of creature, so long as it isn't a brutal cliche.

A few cliches that I find unbearable:
- The frail girl archer and boy swordsman cliche is perhaps the most annoying one in existence.
- Horses that act like cars.
- The quiver of endless arrows.
- Medical errors.
- Heroes that master difficult skills in a matter of days. E.g. swordsmanship, smithing, investment banking etc.

9 years ago

Now that would certainly be a change. A fantasy hero who saves the world through his investment banking skills.

9 years ago

xD I'd read it.

9 years ago

Oh, we got an advance at work that's almost that.  except no fantasy element, other than wish-fulfillment.

It's about a guy who's really good at picking stocks.  So good, that the government secretly recruits him to use his stock-picking skills somehow or other to locate terrorists.

And then he leads a strike team to fight the terrorists.

9 years ago

Why do they insist on making the token female an archer?  I guess because that way she doesn't get hit, because hitting girls is wrong?

9 years ago

Sexism! xD Either no one gets beat up or everyone gets beat up! (... It's because it's fantasy. The women have to be pretty. You can't beat up a pretty woman because bruises aren't pretty. This is also the reason you almost never see female dwarves or orcs or goblins or any female anything not considered sexy.)

9 years ago
The Demon Awakens by R. A. Salvatore is so guilty of this that I had to set the book down. Oh, the protagonists were trained by elves too after they became orphans... because of course they were.

I always assumed authors did it because they just went ahead and blanket assumed all girls are weak little buttercups with glass jaws.

9 years ago

A lot of people assume that. Which is weird. Historically, there were actually a lot of female warriors. Can I name some off the top of my head? Not ... really, because you generally have to dig just to find them. Female warriors exist more in the fantasy genre than any other media, from what I've seen. They say we've come so far in equalizing genders and races and so forth, but people can't get over their preconceived notions and false facts.

9 years ago

Boadicea. 

Also, female archers are impractical- longbows take massive strength, you have to practically be trained from birth to use one, and they cause marked skeletal deformation. (At least, that's what archaeology says.)

9 years ago

Tomoe Gozen. Took me a minute to remember her name, haha. And on that note, thinking of a weapon I'd honestly associate with women specifically... it'd be the naginata: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naginata

Edit: And my mom has a crossbow, so ... *shrug*

9 years ago

A story game about women Samurai would be epic... Dibs.

9 years ago

Dammit! xD I should've called it ... except that I have like, fifteen ideas in the works and I'm way too busy. *sigh*

In all seriousness, that actually does sound like a good idea. (I might also be a bit of a Sengoku Basara fan, maybe. >.>)

9 years ago

Good, because my last good idea was an archer Mage, but then I realized it would take forever to make.

9 years ago

Well, you have my support if you're really gonna try this.

9 years ago

Recurve bows.

9 years ago

If there is a "dark chick" on the villain side, you'll usually see a cat fight between her and archer girl.

About the only fantasy movie/tv example I can think of off the top of my head where there was a knock down drag out fight between a guy and girl is in Game of Thrones where the Hound and Brianne spent a good amount of time punching the hell out of each other and kicking each other in the crotch.

9 years ago
I remember that. I felt the scene was really forced, just for that effect.

As nice as the fight was choreographed, I couldn't stand it. I'm a no good, dirty purist and can't stand it when TV adaptions/movies completely ignore the actual storyline and just start throwing around bullcrap. I basically have to record GoT and fast forward through the nonsense. From what I've seen, I feel like they completely ruined both The Hound's and Jaime's characters.

The Hound was supposed to be on the same level of badass as Jaime. And Jaime pretty much stalemated Brienne with shackles on. Anything can happen, but realistically The Hound would have beaten Brienne to a pulp in a straight up fight if their paths actually crossed.

If they wanted to have her brawl with someone, they shouldn't have picked one of the five strongest/best swordsmen on the continent. Geographically, it would have made zero sense, but on a level of skill, it would have made more sense for her to fight someone like Jon Snow.

9 years ago

I'm not really a fan of dark gritty anti-hero crapsack worlds.  (probably because I'm not nineteen any more.  sorry, that was mean.)

To some extent, most fantasy is at least a little bit about the idea that there can be heroes, and epic quests, and the wish-fulfillment of knowing the difference between right and wrong.

That said, I really like The Witcher, and Dragon Age. 

9 years ago

Agreed, mostly. I do like gritty and dark sometimes, but ... fantasy is, at its core, about wish-fulfillment. (>_>' Gee, that ... has some horrifying implications for me when applied to The Other World.)

9 years ago
I don't think you're doing the anti-hero justice. They are certainly more than capable of being heroes. The methods they use just aren't standard protocol. Personally, I enjoy the conflict and moral questions that arise when the differences between the villain and hero are simmered down to that fine line between them. Sand dan Glokta from Joe Abercrombie's The First Law Trilogy is one of my all-time favorite characters because of the conflict between his sense of right and wrong and his pragmatic nature.

I like a nice dosage of horror needled into my fantasy. That and I've seen enough stories of self-righteous goody-good heroes that are essentially perfect. As much as I enjoyed Lord of the Rings, even Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli were just too perfect.

For the same reason, when I was a kid, I hated Superman but loved Batman, Spiderman and Wolverine. Batman, especially in his original incarnation where he killed people all the time, is more of an anti-hero than a standard hero himself.

I also find that author's of dark fantasy are more realistic with certain facts that irritate me. Characters rarely do something absurd like pull three arrows from their arms then walk along and chop off someone's head two minutes later. But most importantly, the vampires will never sparkle!

9 years ago

-Realistic use of weapons (You cannot block a battle-axe with a sword without breaking your arm)

-Unique races

-If a race is much more powerful than the other races, there should be a realistic why they're not in charge

-A sport adds so much color to a fantasy setting (Even a different version of chess)

-There should be a realistic reason mages are not in charge

-People should die

-I'd love a game where instead of a dragon, there is some giant sea creature

-Bar fights

-Duels of Magic and/or weapons

9 years ago

To that first one: ... How do you know you can't, though? Genuine question.

(xD Wait, you want realistic weapons and magic?)

9 years ago
The presence of something like magic doesn't justify the complete abandonment of realism, I feel.

9 years ago

... Obviously, but I'm suggesting that magic and magic weaponry tend to go hand-in-hand. Anyway, sure, he can argue that point for himself if he wants to, but it's fantasy. People tend to be forgiving of twists on realism for a reason.

9 years ago
I tend to break the magic and weapon itself up. If you stick to your magic dogma and universal rules, it's believable enough for me. If it's a magic weapon, the magic aspect gets lumped in with the magic category of realism, but I'll expect the non-magic aspects to work as they actually would.

- So if your magic sword that shoots fireballs from the crossguard works under your magic system. That's all said and good. But if it suddenly starts shooting ice crystals and you haven't given us a reason to expect it to do so, then you lose me.

- But if your magic sword is one of those twenty or - god forbid - fifty pound longswords and you don't have any magic that makes you stronger or the sword lighter in your hand... I have to ask where the hell do you come from that you think people can swing fifty pound hunks of metal like sticks?

I'm picturing someone trying to swing a standard 45 pound bar from a bench press like a sword.

EDIT: I'm calling you out on this, Bethesda.

9 years ago
If they handwave it, fine, but if they don't, then, yeah, I'd consider it a problem.

9 years ago

I'm going for realism in the fight scenes. Rather than have weird scenes like Legolas and Gimli having a competition to kill 40+ orcs the fairly inexperienced main character will be doing well if he can kill one hostile creature in a fight and the reader will have his hands full trying not to get killed. I'm going for a medieval interpretation of the battles that don't involve magic and those battles were bloody, I remember reading in 2012 some archeologists dug up the remains of King Richard III who was killed in battle and they 8 cuts, slashes and stabs just on his skull... battles aren't as fun as they look in the films :)

9 years ago

You know what Will? Forget about writing Fantasy, it's all pretty silly anyway what with all the orc and elf nonsense.

Write a sci-fi story instead filled with lumpy headed mono cultured aliens that otherwise look human, techno babble, and call the roguish hero Blaze Johnson who has sex with every alien chick on every planet until he settles down with the galactic overlord's daughter Thysa Kimbo who runs around in strategically placed triangles and circles for clothing.

9 years ago

:P Says the man who has four of the fantasy 'featured' slots.

9 years ago
To be fair, some of them could just as easily be considered horror. You do wind up in hell in the one story arc after all.

9 years ago

... But that's irrelevant, Bucky. Endmaster chose to put them in fantasy and they were acknowledged as some of the best of their chosen genre. Just because you can have sex in Death Song doesn't make it a Love & Dating game.

9 years ago
I don't necessarily agree with that. You can certainly cross blend genres. I'm not arguing your initial point, that's all fair and true. But hypothetically, Necromancer certainly has enough horror elements that no one would squawk if it had been placed in horror.

Actually, you know what. I'm wrong. I've read some of the comments. Illiterate children and creepy old men that want either no cussing or all animal porn will always find something to squawk about.

Wait... you can have sex in Death Song? And now that you say that, I'm honestly surprised no one demanded he shift Eternal to Love & Dating because of the kinky dark elf love/rape fest.

9 years ago

Wait... you can have sex in Death Song?

The Bard mentions in his letters to home that he has sort of a long distance relationship with a traveling merchant girl he meets occasionally.

He sexes up a prostitute if he becomes a mercenary.
He gets with a few vampire girls if he joins the vampires.
He even sometimes marries a halfling woman if he abandons everything.

9 years ago
Sometimes marries?

9 years ago

I can't remember if he always does that or not if he just runs away from everything in the early part of the war.

EDIT: He doesn't, if he leaves the mercs really early he just goes back home and works the farm until he gets drafted.

9 years ago
Huh, I don't think that I have ever seen that path.

9 years ago

It was the first one I got.

9 years ago
Hmm, I'll have to re-read it at some point. I guess it has been several years now.

9 years ago

Don't forget about the Necromancer's sister! 

9 years ago

... Of course you can cross genres, like RomCom. Nevertheless, an element of humor in a game does not make it a comedy. Necromancer reads as more of a fantasy game to me and evidently, Endmaster agreed enough to put it there. Considering he wrote the damn thing, I would think he'd know, but ... whatever. *shrug* I didn't write it, so if you think it ought to be moved, either talk to him or to the mods.

>_>' You are joking, aren't you? Eternal wasn't even remotely close to being "love & dating" focused.

9 years ago

The only one I'd want moved into the Romance/Love section is Love SICK for lulz.

9 years ago

xD YES!

I can just picture someone new to the site, sifting through the stories, looking for some sweet and sappy story, and blindly clicking their way into that thing.

9 years ago
CYS: Destroying Childhoods since 2001

9 years ago

Hahaha, go for it

9 years ago

I don't have much knowledge of Fantasy but I don't like Sci-Fi if it's space fantasy and only slightly better if it's an ideological fantasy but only if it's well done. Asking people to share their fantasy fantasies has made it very clear very fast I'm not going to make everyone happy but I'm really enjoying what I'm writing so far and I'm tackling the first big battle scene tonight to kill off a few characters so that should be fun :D I do like the strategically placed triangles for clothing idea for the female lead though, particularly if indecent exposure differs radically from the norm :D

9 years ago
Writing for your own happiness is the best way to go anyway.

9 years ago

It's the best way to go but I'm also interested to see if I can write a 7/8 rated story game :) 6/8 seems to be my limit atm :P

9 years ago

@Will11 It's def the genre. XD

"your stories are great, but they're too educational."

9 years ago

But I'm an Unromantic Fan-Fic hater who never reads Sci-Fi, can't see the point of School stories and hasn't picked up a Fantasy book since Narnia :D

Still Fantasy is quite fun now I'm getting into it and I'm working on a Jack the Ripper meets Sherlock Holmes story that I should be able to pass off as a Puzzle/Mystery or even a Horror...

9 years ago

A thing I especially love in fantasy is seeing a regular teen figure out that they are really a fantasy creature or that they have powers.

9 years ago
Eh, I find things like that annoying. But, I guess it makes it easier for most readers to relate to the protagonist.

9 years ago

@will11 I will give you my trophy for a ripper game. (Shameless ripper fanboy)

have you seen murder by decree? 

Hmm, shouldn't Holmes be in fanfic? XD 

9 years ago
What if someone else was able to do a good Ripper game?

9 years ago

If it's good ^_^

(you can't just have a guy with a knife who's down on whores. XD )

9 years ago

Can it be a cat-based JTR fic?

9 years ago

. . . Are you joking?

Or do you mean like disneys Robin Hood?

or the unholy amalgamation of jtr & wc?

9 years ago
I am wanting to make you a WC skinned JTR story.

9 years ago

That sounds interesting :) The reader is a Holmes-type Victorian era detective but I haven't used any of the characters or mysteries from the Holmes series. Unfortunately the Ripper story is on hold at the moment because I can't seem to access the site I'm using for my Ripper research, I'm hopeful I can get it written and published by around August or September :)

9 years ago

See, if it was a Holmes story you'd get nates trophy too.

what do you want to know? I know everything about the ripper.  Except the identity of the whorekiller. But frankly, that's unimportant.

9 years ago
Was he tabby, calico, or a solid blue color?

9 years ago

I agree Sethaniel, a mystery is much for fun when it's not solved, though like everyone else I've got my own most likely suspect and about 4 or 5 others I consider as decent possibilities, the reader gets rewarded if he uncovers enough evidence to make a strong case against any one suspect. As for the information I'm learning everything: where people lived, who the victims lived with, the details of their personalities, private and previous lives, every witness's name and information, a dozen of the most interesting letters and clues, especially the clues, there was so much stuff found at the murder scenes and later that could have been a clue, there are a few frequently over-looked little clues which I think are decisive evidence if they can definately be linked with one or more of the suspects. It's also amazing how many people claimed to be the Ripper at the time when drunk but were quickly disproved, I'm going to include some as red herrings though perhaps there might be a genuine confession in there somewhere...?

That said personally I think the Ripper was a giant tabby cat :D That could be an interesting twist to the story.

9 years ago

Meowntague Druitt, or Aaron Catzminski? XD

9 years ago

... *blink* I would actually love to hear everything you know about JTR.

9 years ago

Ah I don't want to give away details but personally I find it hard to believe that Druitt was the Ripper. The day after Nichol's death he wa several hundred miles away playing cricket, later on the day of Chapman's death he was again in another cricket match and the day after Stride and Eddowes were killed he was in Dorset again representing a client in court. I am also particularly impressed that he managed to commit more murders after his suicide, if the string of post 1888 murders were also the work of the Ripper. As for Kosminski... there were several other "mad Polish Jews" as the police charmingly referred to them kicking about London around that time who are just as likely or unlikely to be the Ripper as him and at least four known serial killers living in the London area :) It's a tricky one :P

9 years ago

While I'v read both WOT and A song of ice and fire, I don't really feel like that's what I'd want for a choose your adventure game. 

While I love good word building and story, I don't really mind of the land and world is a little clitche as long the characters themselves are well written and belivable. If I were to think of a book that do this I'd name "Heroes Die" by Matthew Stover. The world at first might not seem like it's very original, filled with elves and mages but the character drives it all forward. The only other example I can think of right of the bat might be Mass effect 2 (I have no idea if you've played it) It's not the one with the best story of the trilogy, but it's still my favorite due to all the characters and how complex they are. 

So yeah more character driven instead of the big plot. I don't need to save the world or anything like that, just a struggle and good characters. 

9 years ago

I personally don't like loads of over powered magic. I like how it is in ASOIAF where magic is pretty scarce, but you know it's there and that it can seriously fuck you up.

9 years ago

Here are some examples of awesome fantasy books (that I like) and what I want in a fantasy epic ga,e

Some awesome books:

1:Schooled in Magic series

2:The Name of the Wind

3:Mistborn

4: The Sorcerers Ring

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------What I want in fantasy epic game:

- A way to act both evilly and good in the story 

-  Some kind of magic system (the books I presented up top have some good examples)

- A well introduced villain. Don't just have him be 'MUAHAHAHA IM GOING TO RULE THE WORLD' set out a good backstory to him and the same for the heroes (or villains again I would like to become evil and rule the world myself MUAHAHA XD )

9 years ago

Love Brandon Sanderson's books. (especially mistborn) He comes up with such a unique way to use magic.

Another series of his is the reckoners series. It is a superhero kind of thing, but it is still really good.

9 years ago

I think what really makes up a lot of fantasy stories is the relations between characters. LOTR-fanboys squeal about how 'awsum' Aragorn is while I think it's really the conversations between Gimli and Legolas, Sam Gamgee and pretty much anybody, etc that really makes the books shine. The idea of fantasy is typically a group of people from very different backgrounds who get together for a common goal (usually to save the world) and I think that's a big part of Fantasy stories (though it definitely plays a role in all genres) overall-- how they all get along. 

Favorite Fantasy series is probably Guardians of the Flames for that reason. Lots of fun, interesting characters that actually have things to talk about. The series has a good deal of badass action scenes as well, but it all boils down to what's going on at home (that's like a triple entendre hahaha).

Of course, the direction the story goes determines how much that can actually happen. Not all fantasy stories are about adventures, but I think that the interaction between the MC and the side-characters (and even the SC's discussions amongst themselves) is an important dynamic in nearly all fantasy stories. 

9 years ago

Be original

Allow readers to play villainously or heroically (or even in between)

Try to avoid excessive cliches

I agree about the orc/human alliance idea that was tossed around, after all, elves are nature lovers, dwarves live underground but humans and orcs are both surface dwelling races that are VERY bad for the environment

Unless you want the player to build custom characters then give the player a detailed background, either way give NPCS backgrounds

Think the details through

9 years ago

^ And if they have to play heroically, at least allow them to be asswipes from time to time. The best part about Half Life was that the game's story made Gordon Freeman out to be the greatest, most goodly hero who ever lived, even though you can make him spend his free time pissing off the npcs by pushing random buttons around the lab, pissing around with physics, and other trollant dick moves.

9 years ago

Nasty, dirty, primal elf sex.