Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Here you go

An article that spells out things like "all stories based on other stories belong in fanfic" and "games you wrote for a class assignment are edutainment, not school-based."

Also, an explanation of why the games on the home page change order, so you can just link people to the article when they inevitably try to report it as a bug. Again.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

I honestly can't believe we need an article on this. Even so, I suppose it's good to be prepared. Good work, Seth! 

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Thank you!

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

This'll ought to be helpful. Thanks, Seth!

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Good work.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Fan Fiction: ALL storygames based on or inspired by other properties belong here. - it is a bad category definition.

A storygame that accurately follows an existing book/movie/etc. is not a fiction made by a fan and may have another category. An example is your own story "The Firebird, a Edutainment by Sethaniel".

"or inspired" - it's ok to be inspired by other story as long as it does not explicitly use the same world or characters.

From wikipedia: fan fiction is fiction about characters or settings from an original work of fiction, created by fans of that work rather than by its creator.

I propose a more accurate category definition: ALL storygames about characters or settings from another work of fiction whose plot differs from the original belong here.

(or use the one from wikipedia)

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

I second this. You can be "inspired" by anything without actually basing it on that inspiration. It's just a matter of wording, but it should still be fixed.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

It's specifically intending to address the numerous stories published in Fantasy about cats who live in clans in the woods.

The authors of those stories often argue that their story does not contain any characters from a book, and their setting is not the one from the stories.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Perhaps if we said characters, setting, or premise of an existing work?

also, I'm not certain it applies to work in the public domain. Are stories about Sherlock Holmes fanfic?

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

I think "characters, setting, or premise" would be ok.

Being a fanfic doesn't depend on copyright. Fiction about Sherlock Holmes made by a fan is a fanfic by definition.

But if one makes an accurate game adaption of an original Conan Doyle story, it is not a fanfic, just like a movie adaption.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Hmm... Tricky. Personally I think that anything involving Sherlock Holmes would belong in Fanfiction, but things like The Firebird and The Ramayana belong in Edutainment.

... I guess where I'd draw the like is that games based on books, films or games belong in Fanfiction but games based on folktales myths, legends or religious stories can go wherever the writer thinks they most belong.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Just a quick clarification - if a game has a modern setting, but contains talking animals (not cats), is it Modern Adventure or just the catch all Fantasy?

Kind of wishing we had just a generic 'Adventure' category.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Either or. Urban fantasy can be fantasy or modern, in my opinion.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Thanks.

Oh, and is there a specific place to point out stories that have been placed in the wrong category?

The fan fiction masterpiece The new clan. is listed as a Modern Adventure I noticed.

Also:

Escaping Dystopia (http://chooseyourstory.com/story/escaping-dystopia) is about overdosing on drugs and not based in a school at all,

CYOA Final History Project (http://chooseyourstory.com/story/cyoa-final-history-project) is about history surprisingly enough, not school

The Expedition along the coast of Africa (http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-expedition-along-the-coast-of-africa-) is about..well, take a guess.

There are probably lots more, people really do seem confused about this 'School Based' thing.

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

Storygame Categories

8 years ago

@mizal thanks! The specific place is a thread in Lounge called "Draw My Attention: Random Subtitle"