Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Mapleshade's Vengance- Too tame?

8 years ago

After how horrible Mapleshade was in the main series, and the Erin Hunter's short summarization of her past, Mapeleshade's Vengeance just seemed so... Tame. 

I mean they mentioned psychological torture on her part, and cannibalism along with some other really horrible themes, and well, it didn't do it for me. Sure, what she went through was terrible, but... It was just too soft core. Sure, it's aimed at kids so I don't expect Elfen Lied style gorn but after some of the other "stuff" they've written in, dismemberment, murder, poisoning, infant mortality, near dissection, need I go on?

And about the kits begging for her vengeance, that was her own mind playing tricks on her, right? Otherwise StarClan would've let her in, so that's another let down.

All in all, I'd give it a meh.

Any other thoughts?

8 years ago

Oh. Warrior Cats actually goes into cannibalism, psychological torture, dismemberment, poisoning, dissection, the kitty version of hell, and infant mortality ...? Hmm. <_< Then why the don't any of you people write about those parts of the books, then?

@mizal - Look, it's canon. :P

8 years ago

Don't ask me! I won't be writing ant shitty 10 page stories. Check out my other post, tell me if thats any crap thats been done before. It will be going into some of that as well. But as an extra bonus--

Proper grammar!

But really the problem here is the 9 and 12 year olds that think they can write.

8 years ago

... Proper grammar...? What about spelling?

*that's, not "thats".

?*any, not "ant".

*But really, the problem here are the 9 to 12 year olds that think they can write.

9 and 12? What about the 10 and 11 year olds? Not trying to be mean, of course, but I really hope your story will be better than that post...

8 years ago

Of course it will be. I'm currently working on zero hours of sleep for three days, so I didn't even think to check that post.

Thanks, finials! 

8 years ago

Oh, good. I hate reading stories with proper grammar, but terrible spelling. Good luck.

8 years ago

Thanks, I'll need it.

8 years ago

... I'm between nine and twelve years old, and I know I can write with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation...

8 years ago

Yeah, it's just that most people of that age don't, and some tend to group them together.

8 years ago

It's a stereotype, nothing more. If you can write properly, congratulations, but if you can't, don't.

8 years ago

Laalaalaalaa. I can't hear anything since I'm still waiting for Dark River to come out in Finnish. Laaalaaalaa!

8 years ago

Wow, only Dark River?

Man, for the first time in my life I'm glad I live in America.

Nevermind, I'm sure Canada gets it then, too.

8 years ago

Yes, I know. Darkriver is said to come out in June.

The only special editions are:

Bluestar's Prophecy

Firestar's Quest

SkyClan's Destiny

I hate that they are translated so slowly.

8 years ago

*Looks at shelf of Warriors Books.*

My heart goes out to you, man. 

Though, I can say I know that pain, other books and video games being my source, but that must really suck.

8 years ago

... Wait, Rosetail, you live in Finland?

@Rosetail

8 years ago

Yes. why do you ask?

8 years ago

Two reasons, actually. But ... English isn't your first language, then?

8 years ago

No.

8 years ago

You seem to have a very good grasp on it, though. I'm kind of impressed. (Not that this would be the first time I've met someone from Fennoscandia who was proficient in English, granted ... though, you'd be the first person I've met from Finland specifically, period.)

8 years ago

"....dismemberment, murder, poisoning..."

WC actually had this shit? I knew the Hunters should've added the spice...

8 years ago

It really did. Tigerclaw/star murdered Redtail, Runningwind, Gorsepaw (That was the worst for me.) Swiftpaw, though indirectly, tried to kill Bluestar, Ravenpaw on multiple occasions, Firepaw/heart/star in only the first arc.

Tigerclaw also ripped off a warriors leg in the first chapter, I believe. 

There are a few instances of poisoning. By yew berries, actually. One cat murdered her son, one tried to trick a kitten into eating them, they defeated a adder by stuffing a mouse with them, geez there are more than I expected.

Let us not forget the psychological abuse of Crookedstar by his mother and Mapleshade. The way Smallbird treated her son, though that was due to her grief over the death of her other kitten. That takes care of the infant mortality there, but there was also Brokenstar who trained near infants to fight, resulting in most of their deaths, and the way he tore his mothers' youngest siblings to shreds.

Oh, how could I forget? The near dissection. Tigerstar's death. Look it up, I think the fact his stomach was ripped open from throat to tail tip speaks for itself.

Jesus, it's more violent than I thought, looking back on it now.

WHO LET THIS BE FOR KIDS?

8 years ago

...I wanna go read it now. XD

8 years ago

You won't regret it.

8 years ago

I absolutely hated Darkstripe (tried to poison a kit).

But Scourge... Damn, I felt bad for Tigerstar when he was ripped open.

8 years ago

I can agree with you there, Darkstripe was just living fox dung. I don't know how far you are in the series so I don't want to spoil anything, but he gets worse.

He lacks loyalty in all of its forms. 

Tigerstar's death was pretty graphic, but I say he deserved far worse.

8 years ago

I too never liked Darkstripe.

Sorrelkit was her sister, if I remember correctly.

8 years ago

Are you serious? Sorrelkit was his kin and he still tried to kill her?

I could think of a trillion different ways to keep her quiet, most without hurting her and you mean to tell me he just went

"Hurm de durm *does evil shit* oh no a kit. I should kill it.

8 years ago

I heard same complaints somewhere else, maybe a wiki discussion?

But, I know that Willowpelt is Sorrelkit/paw/tail's mother, but I'm not sure if she was Drakstripe's. Though I think she is.

While were on that topic, I keep hearing that Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight are cousins.

Are Sandstorm and Goldenflower sisters? I Know that Lionheart and Goldenflower are littermates, so was Sandstorm from a later litter?

I'll need to check some family tree.

No they're not sisters. How are Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight supposed to be cousins then? I say they're not.