Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Were you good in English?

8 years ago

Where you guys A students when it came to English in school? I'm talking Honors right now and have a C- so far :P. Not that I hate the subject, I just like free writing and I guess that's a bad mix with the prompts we get, and also I tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to essays xD.

Now that I think about it, I should just go back to English I and start a Writing club.

8 years ago
No. I was pretty useless at English until mid-college.

I did better in French than English in grade 9, and my grade 9 French mark was 53%.

8 years ago
Pretty shit at english until last year. Now I'd say I'm ~average.

8 years ago

I was pretty good at English, but I'm not from an English speaking country, so I'm guessing we had different standards. 

8 years ago

One of the best in my class, though most of that comes from things like when we have to write stories and such. I absolutely hate analysis stuff, and I lack the energy to do most of my assignments. But since I'm so good at making things up on the spot, tests and exams are generally pretty easy, so long as I stick to the grade marking key XD 

EDIT: Before I stumbled across here and started to actively roleplay, however, I was pretty terrible, as you can tell from some of my early posts. 

8 years ago

Pretty good at English, I didn't get too many Bs, Cs, Ds, or Fs. It was mostly As and high Bs.

8 years ago

I did alright in English, though I really found that the stuff we were given was really simple and was always boring. I often found myself with a C by the mere fact I just didn't put effort into boring prompts or pointless writing exercises. I also took a class for college writing, but found the same problem there as well, with a big focus on essays. English really imo is more "How to write an Essay." not how well you can write.

8 years ago

The definition of essay is "Short piece of writing", not "subset of writing that has such strict limits on the writing styles usable for each type of itself that barely anyone can show their writing talent, instead being jealous of those who are suited to essay writing". School employees are terrible at vocab, see?

8 years ago
Meh. I was always bored by every English class except creative writing...

8 years ago

Yeah, that was the same for me. Sadly, they never had a creative writing class since all of my high school teachers hated creative writing :l

8 years ago

I'm terrible in any essay unless I want to write it and have read many writings of that sort (unless it's creative writing, which I never got at school but would not require the second condition if I did get it), and both types take a lot of time to write (either because it's boring or because I want to make it perfect). So unless you count vocab (all 100s), I'm terrible at English [class].

8 years ago

Horrid. I'm lazy as hell, so I rarely did any work, and I never was much a fan of writing compared to other stuff, so as a result all those writing assignments either never were or hastily finished. Stuff that didn't take any effort like grammar, spelling, and vocab were great, though.

8 years ago

I was very comfortable in English throughout elementary and high school. Not surprising though since I was a complete bookworm from the moment I learned to read in English. Friends often tease me for being good at English just because as an Asian, I should be good at math yet I'm absolutely shit.

8 years ago

bookworm: same

Good at English class: NOOOOOO!(In my opinion anyway; I have a B!!!!)

8 years ago

English is such a large category.  There's a tremendous difference between "write a short story about anything you like" and "read this book and discuss whether the main character is a product of the societal values of his time. Cite at least three primary  sources."

In foreign languages, we learned about things like dative case, but none of that was ever part of English.  So much more of the classes were about the technical structure of the language.

8 years ago

Idk, English one is Easy for me because all my teacher does is talk about her favorite books and how she's writing one herself, they aren't really good books shes recommending either which is some teenage girl fiction. But then Honors is to hard when they mark you down 10 points each mistake.

Dam my curriculum and teenage romance books.

8 years ago

Yeah, it definitely depends on who teaches the class. I've had an English Honors class with the laziest teacher who just said "Do this. Turn it in". Switched over to ACP the next year and got paired up with a super strict English teacher that assigned us essays upon essays. The thing was however, he actually taught me so much on formatting, flow, and other essential writing skills that I use both in class and at work.

So it definitely depends on the teacher. Everyone hated him (hell, even I did a bit) but I absolutely adored his teaching methods even when I almost failed his class at the beginning of the semester.

8 years ago

I was a terrible student at school. I always used to do my English homeworks in the maths lesson I had just before my work was due in. Despite this I still somehow never got less than a B in it.

The funny thing was that I sat next to the same person in each class, so they had to watch me get a better grade than them despite the fact that I'd just rushed through it half an hour before, which pissed them off to no end.

8 years ago

The main reasons I don't do homework are 1. I forget it and 2. I was so bored and/or distracted that I took too long and had to go to bed.

8 years ago

Sì, mi comprensiòn de inglès es totalmente notable.

8 years ago

Sus acentos están en el camino equivocado, amigo.

8 years ago

I have always been an average student when it comes to English. I usually get c's and b's because I get lazy and don't do homework assignments all the time. Other than the homework I get great test scores and vocabulary is easy for me.

8 years ago

I do well on everything... except tests, quizzes, and essay types that I don't have experience with (I don't like any of the school essays, but writing types that I read often (and informative essays, those are the easiest type) can at least get me an A to a B+).

8 years ago

Straight As on content. But my shit behavior makes my overall grade a C-. I also don't really apply my knowledge.

8 years ago
Yeah, straight As. But I'm not English, so we didn't have the same standards and way of teaching English. Even so I did the "advanced" English and still scored As, which caused English teachers to panic and run away from me, basically.
Did the Cambridge English FCE, if anyone knows. It was considered one of the high level exams and pretty extraordinary. Not all schools let you take that. Still aced it :')

8 years ago

Fantastic! 100s and 99s! I've also been chosen to do a spelling bee in December. Peace!

8 years ago

A spellin Bee! Those are grate fun. Good Luck with it!

8 years ago

Thank you! ;)

8 years ago

I misspelled macadamia in one of those and it still haunts me. o.e

8 years ago

Same, but with "perpendicular".

8 years ago

Do you still celebrate Arbor Day?

8 years ago

One of the kids who suggested a Creative Writing class to happen in my school, so I guess I'm concerned enough to apply it when it's making me dough.

Never really picked up on proper writing when it came to rhetoric and all that other BS.  Hell, I'm getting a C in my current English class because I can't care about vocab anymore.  I'd rather slam Sam Harris's Free Will than do something like a presentation on a single word.  :P

8 years ago

You don't actually care about class/homework! you just think "OK, I have to stop thinking now. I know all these words, so the only things I can think is hand movements and retrieving memory. Do NOT think about how boring this is. Was that a truck just now? Again with the boringness? DON'T THINK ABOUT IT!" or something like that, and eventually you get through with a good grade. Schools are designed to make you not care about the work, only about results... and then people complain that their work is the thing ruining their life (although everyone except people still in schooling thinks "education"/"learning work is bad" is good for you!).

8 years ago

Often got anything in between an F and a C, never any B's or A's. Same issue as you, I like free writing and most of the prompts I get are for things like informative essays or things that ask for your opinion on a serious matter. My English teacher always says that the key to getting a good grade in English is to bullshit your way through, and whenever I try that I usually get a good grade.

8 years ago

I always forget to do that. It's easiest to remember with informative essays, which is probably why I'm best at those

8 years ago

While it's pretty obvious I forgot most of the proper rules to grammar and all that now, I usually did fairly well in the subject all throughout school and college. Always hated the part where they made you read a boring story and you had to write a bunch of shit about it though.

I had a creative writing class for about a couple weeks, and then I had to transfer out for something else to accommodate my schedule better. Just as well, because it didn’t feel very creative.

8 years ago

Straight A's in all schooling before college.

In college, I have A's in all creative writing courses I have and had. I had A's in all of my composition classes. I have two literature courses (world lit pre-1600 and English literature part 1). I'm getting straight A's in the world lit course, but getting B' s and C' s in the English Lit course. (sonnets and pastrol poetry will be the death of me)

8 years ago

My grades have been pretty much in the same range all throughout.

8 years ago
English? I'm one of the best students in the class for that. Exams don't matter for me. Others find English to be hard while I find it to be a piece of cake. I never study for English exams. Reading the materials is enough.

Some of its projects and writing exercises are annoying though. I hate to make synopsis and other craps for an analysis or boring stories. Sometimes, I get lower than 70 in those projects or exercises just because I'm lazy or doesn't have the time for those.

I prefer creative writing. Sadly, there isn't much of that :(

Anyway, for those who didn't know, English isn't my first language.

8 years ago

how are you supposed to study in a way other than reading? (for school tests, at least)

8 years ago
I can understand all those peculiar words and their meanings in a single sweep. Not to memorize, but to understand.

8 years ago

Er... All of my friends whom I talked to actually considered me as one of the best in the classes. Although, if you asked me personally I will say that even if I do enjoy English as a language more than my own National and traditional language, I still considered myself mediocre at best. I'm just used to English because I need it to play my games, the kind of person who will really pay attention to the story in the games and having grandfather who used to be a teacher of English language helps a lot.

8 years ago
Same here. But my parents nor my grandparents are that good in English. I don't have any siblings too, so I mostly study alone.

8 years ago

*were (Sorry but this is an English thread) 

Much like you I preferred creative writing, not the prompts given by the teachers/professors/whatever you called them. Especially when it was supposed to be a book or film review, unless I was really into said book or film. The harder I think about those kinds of things the worse I do, it seems. Getting too deep into the lore and making inferences is sort of shunned upon unless it was in the prompt where I go, and I pretty much do that every time I think about a subject. I was always pretty good in English though, getting high B's or A's. 

8 years ago

I have a D in my English class. 68%

I forgot to use in-text citations (or something like that) in an essay, so I basically plagiarized. That's why I got a 45% on that essay. If I hadn't forgotten, I would have gotten a 95%

That's what brought it down.

8 years ago

50% deduction for lack of in-text citations? Was this essay for a unit on proper citation or something? Because otherwise, depending on the total point value of the assignment, that seems to me a bit like overkill.

...Kinda reminds me of the time I got a zero on my essay because I never handed in a rough draft.

8 years ago

My teacher marked us down 20 points if we didn't write in pen lol.

8 years ago

It is technically plagiarism if you don't give the in text citations when asked. Most of my college professors would have outright given a zero for that. Even my high school teachers would had likely given out huge deductions if not an outright failure on the assignments.

8 years ago

Which is fair enough as long as consequences are explained beforehand.

8 years ago

...What kind of teachers do you have?

8 years ago

I do pretty dang well in English smiley I've gotten all A's (so far...)

8 years ago

I got the second highest grade in English in 5th grade. Now I have a mere A-. Oh, middle school, how cruel you are to me...

8 years ago

Consistently my best subject, actually. History, Science, and Math all fought for second place at various points in my life.

I was generally a straight A student in all my subjects, though.