Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Motivation to continue writing?

8 years ago

Recently I've hit a bit of a dull spot in my story. I haven't run out of ideas by any means, but I just don't feel as incredibly enthusiastic as I was less than a month ago. Any motivational stuff that could inspire me and my writing? 

8 years ago
Go check out the story Finding the Muse. No seriously. You don't have to read it all the way to the end and give it a rating of eight (but you can, of course), but check it out -- it has a list of ideas and things you can do that will help you get your writing muse awake. Of course they're not all good things, but there is a good list!

8 years ago

Hey man I checked out the story and surprisingly it was actually pretty helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write it as I'm sure it would've helped some other people as well.

8 years ago

You should keep writing because writing is you. If you signed up for this site, I assume you enjoy writing a LOT. You could be a great writer, but you have to persevere. I know I probably sound cheesy but whatever!

8 years ago
I think there are a good number of writers who hate writing, but love having written. G.R.R.M. has said he falls into this category. You just have to stay focused on your overall goals and take a moment to pat yourself on the back for the solid work and time you put into your story at the end of your writing session.

8 years ago
I suppose that works for some. That's the thing- everyone is different. For me, when writing becomes a chore, I need to stop and do something else or the writing is awful.

8 years ago
Personally, when doing a story draft, I have to work on it for about 2 consecutive hours a day, every day. Otherwise, the plot and characters start to grow stale. As long as I'm actively working on the story, I stay excited.

8 years ago

I don't know. Been searching for this myself. Some days I wake up and get excited at the ideas that I come up with, and some days I know that I need to do something, but my sentences come off as dull and I end up deleting the entire day.

8 years ago
Hey, if you have never tried it, try NaNoWriMo some time. It's an experience. You really are forced to write 2,000 words or so a day, and you're not supposed to go back and edit or anything. Yes, you do end up with some crap, but sometimes you don't!