Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Having decided that I want to pursue a martial art, most likely aikido, I'm curious what other folks here practice (or would like to practice.)

I also have an interest in historical sword, which I've done a little bit of in the past... but out of the three local instructors I'm aware of, the one I'd prefer is unreachable -- he let his domain lapse, & doesn't seem to be updating his Facebook page, either. :/

Anyway, anyone here do any martial arts? Or would like to?

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I've done BJJ and kickboxing.

BJJ is fun, but there is always the possibility that someone will put their entire weight on your abdomen and you will fart and everyone will look at you. I imagine you don't have to worry about someone shattering one of your testicles, though.

Kickboxing is also fun, so long as you don't do something stupid and break your foot.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I've done is SCA rapier, which is really fun. 

It isn't along the usual definition of martial arts, as there is primarly an eastern/Asian context for it. I think it is interesting to learn some of the civilian combat moves. I do wish that SCA rules could be a little more lax on safety in some areas, but SCA is from the US. (the US is definitely the playground for lawsuits in lieu of an actual job over stupid stuff)

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Maybe they should have death waivers and get rid of all the safety BS. I'm not even being sarcastic.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Martial Arts can be eastern or western, it just so happens that Asian ones look cool in movies, and have all kinds of weird weapons built around them, so those are the ones we see. SCA rapier, Boxing, Wrestling, Axe-fighting, and Jousting are all along the usual (and pretty much only) definition of Martial Arts just as much as Jiu-Jitsu or the Hundred Iron Heads Technique, as in, they are sports, skills, or techniques used in combat.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I did Muay Thai for a while. That's a good time; excellent for stress relief. 

Aikido is cool and apparently useful in a zombie apocalypse.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Definitely.

Kinda defeats the purpose, since Aikido was designed to do little to no permanent damage to the aggressor.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I was referencing this character on The Walking Dead. 

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Used to do a combination of taekwondo and kickboxing labelled as 'sefl-defence'.  It's good fun and a great stress outlet but I wouldn't use it in any self-defence, doesn't seem practical.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I've been doing taekwondo for about nine years now. It's good fun, and pretty useful for keeping fit. Might not be the best martial art in terms of actual self defence, but there are definitely techniques I've learned from it that would apply to a fight in the street. Plus my instructor is really good and often takes us through self defence techniques outside of tkd. 

I actually went to a few competitions when I was younger, until one fight where I got kicked in the head and was pulled out by the medics because I looked concussed. Haven't really taken part in many comps since then :P

One of the guys at my club does aikido, and every now and then he'll bring along a couple of swords and some of us train with him. It's good fun, and I'd like to start training at it properly, so I suggest you should definitely give it a try.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Doesn't feel very artsy to me, but Archery is certainly martial and I used to do that all the time in Boy Scouts. (After all, my enemies are disgusting human beings who don't deserve to get within 30 feet of me.) I also used to do knife-throwing in Boy Scouts, but that wasn't with throwing knives, and it was done behind the supervisor's back (NOT LITERALLY!) and taught by a kid who clearly knew it all because he watched every Deadliest Warrior and his brother was in the Navy and heterosexual. I am not good at knife-throwing, but I did totally nail a tree once, and I can kind of throw the rusty axe in my dad's toolshed so that it would stick into something for maybe 3 feet.

Less lethally, I've been looking into Wushu because it's very expressive and looks like it would come in handy during a dance contest to the death. Plus, the words "Kung Fu Adept" look great on the "put random skills here when you run out of things that actually qualify you for this job" section of a resume.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Karate and capoeira are good and all for the confidence aspect, but I'm pretty sure in BHB we had a discussion where raw power, regardless of technique, really gets you the edge.

That, and fighting "dirty".

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu looks really fun tho.  Probably would only ever practice grappling techniques since they're a one-size fits most sorta thing.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Probably not gonna believe this, but I did A LOT when I was younger. Not Krav Maga or aikido or anything, mostly just things like Taekwondo and Kickboxing and Karate.

I've found out that when I AM in a fight, I really don't use a lot of the techniques I've learned, so I've just bunched them all together.

I've called it Popo. Like the Dragon Ball Z character. It helps with bar fights and that one guy who cuts you in line at jack in the box.

I also did a little bit of Fencing, but I've never really needed to use a sword before.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I did taekwondo for a few years. My technique wasn't 'poor' and I remembered the patterns, but my real strength lay in my sidekicks. Breaking boards is super satisfying for the first time, and with a variety of more advanced woods it never gets old :)

Although I did stop doing taekwondo a little while ago so that I could dedicate myself more to tennis and pursue better academic results.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I can't believe none of you have mentioned Judo. Then again, it's more of an Australasian thing. 

I did it for about six years and came second in the national tournament in Sydney for 2012 (can't remember my weight division - over 70's, maybe?). It's probably one of the most practical martial arts out there, aside from the ground holds. Combine it with jujitsu and you're basically able to counter whatever comes your way before delivering a critical hit (in the form of breaking the opponents arm :P). 

Still, it was really fun, and it's one of those martial arts where you don't need to be stronger than your opponent physically to win. Faster, maybe, but if you hold on tight they can't do shit XD 

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Here is a suggestion, for pure Self Defense, Kenpo is that answer, its a style based purely on countering your foe though you have no need for momentum based moves or throws, I'm a First Degree Black Belt and went to AIK *American Institute of Kempo* for that...Stopped because it got expensive but the lessons help with discipline.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Nice assortment here, thank you all for chiming in!

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I've studied Karate, Hapkido, and had a brief stint with Kung-Fu and ... Taekwondo, if memory serves? Most of this was when I was rather young. I'd love to go back to practicing martial arts again, I miss it.  

Martial Arts

8 years ago

All three are rather excellent arts, though one I know which is just more or less 'If in a situation you can't get out of, make sure your foe isn't getting back up.' would be Krav Maga. I never practiced it but from what I've seen, it don't give two shakes if the guy you're using it on is breathing by the end of the fracus.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Yeah, Krav Maga is intense. From what I've learned it's less of a martial art and more self defense, so sparring is very awkward. Most movements involve the eyes, groin, or neck so chances are you can potentially permanently damage a guy pretty quick. Very efficient but admittedly brutal.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Also by 'Make sure they don't get up' they mean sometimes just ripping the gun from the hand of the guy trying to kill you, turning it on them, and then pulling the trigger until that sucker goes 'click'

Martial Arts

8 years ago

Did a little of lot haha. When I was really young I did a year's worth of judo, but I prolly forgot most of it by now. Years later I did a bit of fencing, which was a lot of fun but costs a lot, especially with equipment. A year ago I did a Shukokai Karate course with an emphasis on practical self-defense, and that class inspired me to get in shape generally. More recently I spent two weeks on boxing, though that's more of a sport-- also lots of fun, and very physically demanding. The gym closed down though so I had to stop, since the new location was essentially in the Jersey ghetto and I wasn't gonna risk it haha.

Nowadays I'm waiting for an 'official' Krav Maga course to start at the community center, but in the meanwhile they've given occasional remedial lessons which have been pretty neat.

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I have about 3 years worth of tae kwon do. I haven't been able to continue it but I would if I were offered the chance,

Martial Arts

8 years ago

I also did Capoeira, which is admittedly as practical as sorghum toothpaste.