Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

8 years ago

Hello Fello CYS-tians!.. CYS-inites? Oh well.

I went to see the new Star Wars movie yesterday, and thought that it was an awesome addition to the franchise. I felt that the plot was great, the special effects looked fantastic,..It was just an all-round awesome Star Wars movie!

Anyone else want to share their thoughts?

8 years ago

Daisy Ridley and John Boyega were phenomenal. 

8 years ago

Rey wasn't that great of a character. 

8 years ago

i haven't watched it.

8 years ago

Want to see it soon without having to wait 12 days in line. 

8 years ago
Anyone who spoils it before January should be banned. So far this thread is alright...

8 years ago
Anyone who spoils it before January it's released on Blu-ray should be banned.  ...since I don't go to theaters anymore.

Edit:  Sometime in April, I think.

8 years ago

yes. It could not be  january because it is to close to the month of january. december is really close to  january so it couldn't be january!

8 years ago

I couldn't believe it! Han Solo was Darth Jar Jar's son all along! It absolutely floored me when they revealed that the Storm troopers were all Tyler Durde-... Oops...

8 years ago

The villain is a bit too emo.  Darth Vader didn't get all teary about Luke. 

Also, the science is just ridiculous.

Overall fun to watch though, looking forward to next.

8 years ago

I  thought the whole point of Kylo Ren's character was that he wasn't Darth Vader; he was an inexperienced kid. That's why he wasn't able to defeat Rey; that and his injury, of course. 

8 years ago
I had the same opinion of the villain. For me, he just wasn't very awe inspiring.

8 years ago

Han died. The fuck, Disney?

8 years ago

Not real surprising-- He'd been wanting to do that since the empire strikes back.

8 years ago

Honestly, he had to die. Fan favorites shouldn't be safe; that's just shitty writing. 

8 years ago

I think that the Han-dying scene was probably the best in the whole movie. Aside from every single scene that included FN2187.

8 years ago

Honestly, I'm just relieved the parts of the universe they expunged from the lore didn't include Shadows of the Empire. That means I can still canonically remember Dash Rendarr as the most badass person in the Star Wars Universe and not as some extra who looks like Matt from next door...

8 years ago

Films. Post-Disney comics (which are quite good). That's it; Shadows of the Empire isn't canon. 

8 years ago

Then explain the Outrider on this board thing, dammit!

DASH RENDAR LIVES! DISNEY CANNOT NERF THE MOST BADASS CHARACTER IN STAR WARS!

8 years ago

Lots of fun. Really liked Rei. Fin was also great

8 years ago

Wtf happened to Gwendoline Christie's character though? Did they really throw her down a garbage chute?

8 years ago

I think that Han was joking when he said that, because, if you remember, in A New Hope, Han, Luke, Leia and Chewbacca were stuck inside of a trash compactor on the Death Star and escaped.

8 years ago

... Do scenes from the original trilogy really count as spoilers anymore?

8 years ago

I guess not; everyone's seen it by now.

8 years ago

Yeah, so even if they did, she could have escaped. I mean, they did.  (Also she's listed as being in the next film.)

8 years ago

She got the Boba Fett treatment. 

8 years ago

Just came back from seeing it (previous post was from after I spoiled it for myself; fun fact, Facebook is not a good place when looking for info about new movies), definitely better than the garbage that was the prequels. Loved Rey and Fin, Kylo Ren was an enjoyable villain but, as Seth said, seemed kind of emo, and I really liked BB-8, Han, and Chewbacca. The rest of the characters were alright.

8 years ago

Dude, since when is Leia Organa alright? One of the most iconic characters in SW history. 

8 years ago

I actually never knew her last name until I watched the new movie...

8 years ago

Eh. She wasn't in it until it was two thirds of the way over and barely had any screen time anyway. And, in that screen time, she didn't have much dialog (you could probably bring everything she says together and it'd make about two or three paragraphs), so I can't really give an opinion on her if, say, I just watched this movie and none of the originals.

Your turn.

8 years ago

Lightsabers be like:

http://i.imgur.com/wNjFXlX.jpg

yay so practical

8 years ago

Kylo doesn't know that, he's a newb, like Malk said.

8 years ago

[DELETED BECAUSE SORRY ACCIDENTAL DOUBLEPOST]

8 years ago

Okay.  So.

Why is the effing light side's immediate response to everything "blow it the f*ck up?"

For the good guys, they go to the murder solution real quick.

If fin was kidnapped & brainwashed, then so are most of the other storm troopers.  In which case, screw you, resistance! They don't even try to save any of them.   If the new Death Star is 37 times bigger than the old one, in order to crew it, that would mean the rebels killed a whole planet worth of people too.  And yet they're the light.

Using your Jedi powers out of anger is dark side, but murdering people any other way is fine?

8 years ago

Nah, you couldnt save those guys. I mean, they arent just brainwashed westboro style, but completely psychopathic. Like, they gun down people fleeing. The only one of the new crew who reacted was Fin. Literally all of the others were fine with it, yeah? 

8 years ago

So? Light is not good, if they're fine with killing everyone who's on the bad guys side.

8 years ago

Well, it was either let the First Order blow up planets filled with intelligent life, or blow up their weapon base and stop them.

8 years ago
So you think killing is objectively wrong?

8 years ago

Not me. Light side. If the force is in all living things, & you can feel it when ppl die, that implies life is a good thing.

8 years ago

Well to be fair, it isn’t like the Empire/Sith are going to negotiate, so blowing them up is about the only thing to do. If you can save a few misguided souls in the process and get them on your side, great, but it’s a secondary priority.

What I don’t get is why is it always Empire/First Order/whatever vs. Resistance/Republic? Surely in a big galaxy filled with as many aliens as it has, there should be more than just two factions.

Large falling empires tend to leave big power vacuums after all and I can’t imagine that just because a planet isn’t under Empire control any longer, they’re going to necessarily want to join the Republic (Or rejoin the Empire for that matter).

8 years ago

Wow. I never noticed or thought about that. Maybe those planets/ systems are just trying to keep it on the down-low.

I mean, If you join the bad guys you'll probably be attacked by the good guys. On the other hand if you join the good guys, you become  a target for the bad guys.

Perhaps they want to give neutrality a try?

8 years ago

I'd imagine, if an interplanetary empire was destroyed, so too would its infrastructure and communications be destroyed, which would leave most planets independent and in the dark. There wouldn't be too much of a power vacuum until lots of reconstruction and wild-west antics went on in space.

8 years ago

WH40K touched on this. 

8 years ago

Why does the Empire keep building giant weapons of mass destruction when they can be destroyed with a single shot from an X-wing?

On that note, what the hell's up with the stormtroopers' aiming? The only time they actually managed to shoot something was when they gunned down all the villagers at point blank range. 

8 years ago

I think that was a criticism in one of those non-canon storylines when the Jedi were fighting some sort of genetic freak race of conquerers that weren’t affected by the force and were kicking everyone’s ass in the galaxy.

Someone asked how the Empire would have handled this race and I think it was Han that said “They’d build some super duper weapon and then it would get blown up when a piece of space debris bumped into its weak point.”

8 years ago
Can someone explain to me why Voldemort made an appearance in this movie?

8 years ago

That's it, it's confirmed, Supreme Leader Snoke is Voldemort. Everyone, shut the fuck up about your bullshit 'Snoke is Jar Jar Binks' and 'Snoke is Boba Fett' theories, go home.

8 years ago

I thought the general theory was Luke is Snoke.

8 years ago

People who think that are fucking stupid. 

8 years ago

But it wouldn’t really surprise me if that turns out to be the case, since it seems like something really obvious that Disney would do.

HEY LOOK LUKE IS SNOKE! BIG TWISTY TWIST THAT NOBODY SAW COMING! LOLOL!

Though if they really want to throw people off, they should make Lando, Snoke.

8 years ago
Maybe it's Gollum!?  I bet no one would've seen that coming...

8 years ago
I was having a hard time catching what they were calling him. So with that... I dub him Snooki.

8 years ago
I was only going by some of the images I've seen.  I'll have to wait for it to come out on DVD/Blu-ray to watch it/add it to my collection.

Snooki is as good a name as any, though.  XD

8 years ago

Same actor. 

8 years ago
I thought that was a joke, but then I Googled it.  Well, time to come up with another theory...

8 years ago

Yeah, but I've seen other theories. Most probable theory is that Snoke is Darth Plagueis; as courtesy of this comment on Reddit.

8 years ago

Just realized something watching Star Wars Episode IV: when Han, Luke and Chewie go to the cell block to free Leia, Leia's cell number is '2187,' and, if you remember, Finn's stormtrooper designation is 'FN-2187'. Well hoooooooooooooooly shit, what an easter egg!

8 years ago

Whoa! How cool is that?

8 years ago
This is what I found, and this is what's being referenced.

8 years ago

Well...that was certainly weird.

8 years ago

So apparently Harrison Ford is returning in Episode VIII. Probably not alive, but most likely in either: a) a flashback, or b) a spirit like Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin/Vader (which probably won't happen considering he's not Force-sensitive) at the end of Episode VI.

8 years ago

Mind = FUCKING BLOWN

TL;DR: Darth Darth Binks!

8 years ago

Haven't seen it yet.

8 years ago

I suggest discontinuing your Internet service until then.

8 years ago

The guys from The Raid are in it. 

8 years ago

Loved it. My housemate has some criticism, but he's always more critical than I am with movies (well, with a few notable exceptions, mostly regarding attempts at humor). I thought it was basically awesome on every level, from the adorable droid, to the interpersonal dynamics between all the new characters (yes, even the emo kid, there's a point being made there).