Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Female Character

8 years ago

Hi

I'd like to find  storygames with females protagonists . 

Story games with good story and many choices (if possible).

Thanks you

Female Character

8 years ago
The Secret of Daphne is a good one.

Female Character

8 years ago

Is that important to you? It probably shouldn't be, be whatever. There's 331 Oakmount Drive if you like Horror, Dungeon Stompage you can pick the gender but it's not important, same with Homo Perfectus. Those are the only ones that come to mind without having to search through them.

Female Character

8 years ago

Why shouldn't it be? It's a preference, just like any other. A female protagonist can also highlight a different writing style and can features a new and interesting perspective.

Suzy's Strange Saga does this pretty well, as opposed to the same author's other work Eternal and the drastically different personality of the male protagonist (can you imagine the protagonist from Eternal stuck in a crazy house party?).

So yes. It is important to some readers.

Female Character

8 years ago

Yes, I can imagine Eternal's protagonist stuck in a crazy house party. And no matter which path he's from, I give it MAYBE two minutes before he gets fed up with it and slices, dices, and/or magics his way out of there. I can only hope some song that's wildly inappropriate for the situation is playing...

Female Character

8 years ago

Working on three...well, four if you can count a robot as female. :P  My track record with finishing projects is uh...not good, but pretty much all of main characters are women, it's just simpler to me than writing a male protagonist.

Female Character

8 years ago

It's like being female, but with more bizarre daydreams and masturbation.

Female Character

8 years ago

(Cackling laughter)

Ahem. 'Scuse me, my inner witch is showing. ^_~

Female Character

8 years ago

Don't forget dudes have a weak spot that's practically growing red during a Boss Fight, and the ability to form glorious moustaches.

Female Character

8 years ago

But it's made up for by their ability to open pickle jars on the first attempt nearly 70% of the time!

In a Boss Fight they at least get to wear armor that covers all the places you want covered in a fight, so that evens out too.

Hmm. I kind of want to write a fantasy game now where the guys all have to go around naked except for chainmail loincloths...finally they too will learn the meaning of pinching and chafing, while being ridiculously unprotected from that orc looking to stab them.

Female Character

8 years ago

It's empowering

Female Character

8 years ago

Yep. Because the only chicks wearing chainmaille bikinis are the ones who know they don't NEED clunky plate. ^_~

Also, it's SUPER distracting to some dudes folks if you're hot. Or even just female, in some cases. XD

Female Character

8 years ago

If you're able and willing to pay s couple bucks per game, check out Choice of Games. Lots of good stuff, and their standard is that gender is a choice.

Female Character

8 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I haven't looked at Choice of Games. I have read all the stories by Delight Games though. Pretty decent. I'm just getting into CYOA stories. Its all so facinating to me. Lol. And it is nice to find another female. As woman do you mean above 18?? (Oh please, oh please lol)  :D

Female Character

8 years ago

I'm 35, though I pass for quite a bit younger. Good Polish genes & clean living! And while the under-18 crowd here is awesome, I know exactly what you mean. It's nice to meet you. ^_^

I also run a Slack called Storygamers Anonymous, which I'd be delighted to invite you to. I'd just need an email that you don't mind making known to an invite-only 13+ crowd. And feel free to PM me, either way.

Female Character

8 years ago
I know what you mean about passing for younger. I'm cursed with a babyface so most people mistake me to be around 18 or 20.... when I'm actually 28 lol. I especially hate it when I'm like at the grocery store or anywhere really and people give me odd accusing looks, thinking I'm another teen mom. Hell, when I was pregnant, I had this one old lady stop and actually confront me. She told me I looked like her 13 year old granddaughter and proceeded to tell me I needed to pray for my sins and give my baby up.... I was actually 23 at the time. Smh.

Female Character

8 years ago

Their standard 'choice' is meaningless swap of pronouns. There's a reason Choice of Games gets poked fun at here.

Female Character

8 years ago

Ironically, when a game does treat genders differently, it gets slammed.

Female Character

8 years ago

I can't wait till Endmaster finished Rogues so I can point to it as a way to do that right.

Though it wouldn't even require entirely separate plots to make me happy, just something a little more than a lazy find and replace.  I still remember one of my first experiences with a Choice of game having a scene where it was a plot point and a major concern that a female character was going to get the Queen pregnant while having an affair. surprise

Female Character

8 years ago

In TOW, if you play as a guy, then choose to stay with your gay vampire friend, the game mentions that the two of you try to have babies.

Female Character

8 years ago

Knowing some of the CoG crowd, I'm sure it would still get accused of being sexist, promoting heteronormative lifestyles, as well as being transphobic for not including 6 different fictional genders but I appreciate your support for the rapist patriarchy!

Female Character

8 years ago
I've always been suspicious of the word counts CoG likes to boast on their games. As mizal said, many of the pages only differ between pronouns, and I suspect they count two pages worth of words when the only difference between two pages is he/she or Jim/Jill. To me, that is extremely deceitful, especially when you are selling your games.

Female Character

8 years ago

As someone who knows ChoiceScript, I can tell you that they are not recounting pronouns. The syntax allows inline variables like $he/she and $him/her, such that you don't need to rewrite whole sentences the way you (probably) would here.

Female Character

8 years ago
I'm still skeptical. I haven't read many of their games, but the ones I have read seem to fall far short of the alleged word count.

Female Character

8 years ago

That's because they're doing real, actual changes based on your choices... that you don't see in a single playthrough.

If you're a creator and not just a player, then I challenge you to try ChoiceScript for yourself. You'll quickly see why CoG doesn't have to artificially inflate their wordcounts.

Female Character

8 years ago
CoG rarely gives meaningful choices.

The hosted games tend to be better, but CoG's own games idea of 'choices' is allowing you to play house with the character. I've seen games where you can go through the same fight scene, but they simply re-write it so that that a bard, wizard, knight and thief have their own cliche style of victory.

The wizard casts spell XYZ at the evil demon.
The thief slinks through the shadows and stabs the evil demon in the back of the knee.
The knight charges, sword in hand, and cracks the evil demon in the skull.
The bard sings a Jigglypuff lullaby and soothes the evil demon into a coma.

To me, this is one page as far as word count should be concerned, not four. And each character type will have 2-4 attack options, but the results are the same for each archetype. So say there are 4 options per character. This leads to 16 pages, but there are only 4 truly different results. It's hardly even worth playing through multiple times because nothing important changes.

You can easily reproduce the same scene with different character archetypes. Creating new original scenes requires much more effort.

EDIT: Sorry, for the derail.

Female Character

8 years ago
You can do the same thing here, its just a longer inline script.

Female Character

8 years ago

'Just,' but yes.

You ever wanna make the leap to something new, Killa, I'd love to help you get started. Just for the record.

Female Character

8 years ago
Kind of a random declaration, but thanks. Are you talking about twine or CoG? Is there actually an advantage to either of them?

Female Character

8 years ago

I think she may be propositioning you for some legitimate programmer work. ;)

Female Character

8 years ago

So that's who commented on Dead Man Walking then haha!

Female Character

8 years ago

XD (See my post in "interesting comments")

Female Character

8 years ago

Hm.. Really? No one has mentioned Suzy's Strange Saga? Quite an interesting read, and I was confident the protagonist was female.. Unless I've gone insane from all the post-work stress and lack of sleep.

Anyway. Suzy's Strange Saga should fit the criteria you're searching for. Some of our games also feature a female option of play, though they usually don't amount to much story wise. I'd recommend The Other World as well. Though it makes little difference in the actual plot, the plot is good enough that it's worth the read.

Female Character

8 years ago

Haven't read it. I'm too ADHD for End's stuff, usually. Too much text before I hit a choice. >_<

Hope you're feeling better. ^_^