Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 1/8/2017: This definitely seems a like a good idea.
This feature was completed 1/25/2017: Done. Game (and thus account) must be 2 days old.

[SITE] New users can't post stories

8 years ago

Since we've been getting so many lately who can't seem to understand they're not doing themselves or anyone else a favor slapping some links down on a couple of hastily typed paragraphs the first day they join the site, how about a three or even seven day period after joining where they simply don't have that option?

Ideally with a message pointing them to the help and info section and forums and a suggestion they spend their first days reading and reviewing other storygames and working to improve and expand their own while they get acclimated to the site?

8 years ago

That's a good idea. It should take someone at least that long to come up with a decent story game.

8 years ago

I think it would be more economic and effective to just authorize madglee's "seek and destroy" program.

8 years ago
I'm not familiar with this, but it sounds exciting!

8 years ago

Madglee, at one time, said that he had proposed IP tracking particular users and blowing up their homes, but that it "didn't work out".

8 years ago
I have to say, Mizal's proposal sounds a little more feasible. But I do like the outside the box thinking.

8 years ago

Wouldn't that make them think that their game is broken?

8 years ago
What? Having a delay before you can post a story? I'm sure alexp would either put in a pop-up message that says there is a probationary period or some other note when creating an account. But as convenient as this would be, I rather doubt it'll be considered high priority. Then again, maybe Seth and Berka are tired enough of deleting fast food stories that they'll talk it up.

8 years ago

I don't know, it just might give people a wrong impression of the site. Like that all new writers always make shitty stories so they won't even have the option to post it. (Which most do, but still).

8 years ago
There's already a delay, I believe. It's just particularly short. And if you try and post a story the day you join, it's almost certainly rubbish.

8 years ago

Then bad writers will just post their bad work later. It's just delaying the inevitable. 

8 years ago
I think you're missing the point. It gives them more time to work on it, experience the site and consider adding more to the story, rather than typing for 30 minutes, getting a glass of milk, typing for 5 minutes then hitting publish.

8 years ago

Still a good portion of the new writers don't use the forums, and look around they are too excited. That's how I was when I first joined, I didn't even know of the forums, and was even afraid to use them. They will just make the story, wait, and then publish it.

8 years ago
Then they'll either get bored and leave or look around and find... either is preferable to the status quo.

8 years ago

Or they will wait, and publish it. I like how you think that won't happen, and keep avoiding it.

8 years ago
I like how you assume every single person will wait and publish. No one has suggested this will solve everything, but it could be a step of progress. Sure, some will wait and publish rubbish. Some will take the extra time to add more to their stories and make them better. Some will explore the site and decide they need to add more to their story. These are all valid possibilities.

8 years ago

But have been that new member, even more recent then you. When I first got here I was terrified to use the forums, because I didn't know who were the good guys, and who were the a**holes. Even though most of the people on this site are nice, and friendly, it is the internet, and there is no certain way from the new members to know that we are not a**holes. When I first started making stories, they sucked, alright I admit it. I got really harsh comments, and then I disappeared, but then realized on how bad they (my stores) were, and now taking my time, but I fear so many will run away after that, as many. So many already have...

P.S- Never said that.

8 years ago
I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. You're saying, if even some new members are like you were, they'll immediately want to post a crappy story that had little to no thought or effort put into it. Next, they'll get bad comments and harsh criticism from people who are tired of seeing quick, lazy games. Then they'll either post another quick, crappy story and receive more negative feedback, or they'll just become discouraged and leave outright... Is this correct?

Because this only reinforces mizal's position of creating an additional delay between joining and publishing a first story. A delay between a first and second wouldn't be bad either. Again, this gives a new member additional time to consider adding more to their story (Who the hell is going to write for 30 minutes, say done, leave the site for three days or a week and come back just to publish their 30 minute monstrosity? Some poor and very bored souls, I suppose, but certainly not many.), exploring the site and learning about writing, or just reading more stories and getting a feel for what is good and what isn't.

The issue isn't people 'sucking.' It's people posting the first thought they have in their head and then spamming the site with PART I, II, and III of 'Generic Five Sentence Game' the day they join. Most members are more than willing to give constructive feedback to anyone who puts out effort. The delay gives new members time to realize what a good story takes, instead of impulse spamming.

Also, you can view both the forums and the help & info section without posting or without even having an account. So I don't see what being intimidated has to do with anything.

As for your P.S. - I was intentionally using the same false logic you used, when you claimed I didn't think anyone would wait and publish anyone. I guess you didn't catch the irony.

Anyway, I really don't have anything else to add. Mizal's proposal has my support, for whatever small amount it's worth. I'm sure it would save the moderators a few small headaches, if nothing else.

8 years ago

They won't know that the game is shitty, hell I didn't. It took me about a year later to go this is shitty game, because I got harsh comments. Also you can't believe that if they delay it that every single member will explore the site, and ask for help on their story. I didn't know mine was bad for a long time, so they wouldn't be asking for help on a story they don't know is bad, well until they post it.  Also I did that, and if you haven't notice many new writers did, and are continuing to write 30 minute monstrosities. You see it all over the site, people posting crappy game, after crappy game. They ignore the feedback, and continue to keep writing, and for some reason, I keep reading it (My own fault I suppose, but hey have to try). Just take a look at some of the stories, and see the feedback, then look at the author's next game, and it is the same situation. Bad, and ignoring the feedback.

Well if you knew it than you should have had that as a third option, you only had those two so I thought you were just trying to ignore that option.

8 years ago

How about you spend at least a week on writing your story, before publishing it?

8 years ago

Woah, woah, let's slow down, I am now replying to multiple people, give me time.

8 years ago

You have a week.

8 years ago

I replied earlier, what are you going to do now, wizard?

8 years ago

Delete your story games.

8 years ago

Why? Only have one...

8 years ago

Will be deleted.

8 years ago

What I don't understand is why a suggestion for a short delay personally offends and upsets you so much you're waging war on the very idea.

Either it helps significantly or it doesn't. At worst, impatient, self absorbed idiots will still be impatient, self absorbed idiots, just with a three day delay. At best, it will encourage a few people to take more time on their story and familiarize themselves with the site. Or at least get bored and leave without taking it upon themselves to use our community for their personal toilet, which is also an acceptable outcome that I think we can all get behind.

8 years ago

It is just one of those things that make me go, why. If I was a new writer, and I couldn't post when I wanted to it would just personally piss me off, and then write shitty stuff as a fuck you. (NOT directed at you)

8 years ago
Your imagery makes me smile, mizal. I stand behind you. Or beside you. Might be a bit weird if I stand directly behind you.

8 years ago

There is one thing I do know, though... Image result for bad games bad games everywhere meme

8 years ago

hayesa, it really sounds like you're projecting a lot of your own anxieties onto every other new or theoretical new user in existence. Really though, I don't think it's demanding a lot of anyone to ask them to take a couple of days to familiarize themselves with a site before using it. Why WOULD you join a site without having any idea what it's about, after all?

Also, IMO being afraid of the forums is a little silly too because you...you can read them before you post on them and get a sense for the community, you realize this I hope?

I mean, if someone really is that terrified of internet strangers typing words at them, why would they post a story here in the first place?  That just encourages those same scary internet people they're avoiding to pay attention to them. Or...who else do they think will be reading and reviewing the stories here?

A delay and a gentle nudge to say the equivalent of 'heeey so you know maybe you should take a shower and put on some fucking pants before you go flinging the door open to meet the new neighbors' is for their benefit, as much as for the rest of us. Because at the end of the day no one really cares that the smelly socially deficit man with his johnson flapping gently in the breeze gets driven away, but it does waste a lot of time and is kind of hassle for the police.

8 years ago

I didn't know what this site was really about. Other than it was a place to make Choose Your Stories, I mean obviously, it is right there in the damn title. I know you can read up on what the forums say what they are about, but it doesn't tell you what the community here is like. It just states what each one does, and certain rules to follow, not about the people. And I am not sure how to reply to that last paragraph as I find myself going what the hell am I reading. (Laughing, not insulting)

8 years ago
I support this idea, even though I myself am a new member. I think new members should also have to read all the articles on the Help and Info Page before they can post a game. I know some may just scroll through them, but some of them may actually read them or be like 'Hey, I didn't know that was there. It even has advice for writing.' Hehe. Anyway, I really think it's a good idea.

8 years ago

Even I haven't done that, and reading them is so easily avoidable for them. It is like the terms of service, they will just say they read it. Do you know the biggest lie of the universe? I have read, and agreed to the terms of service.

8 years ago

I don't really care if they read them or not, tbh.

All the information is already there, it's freely available and easy to access. And most of it is common sense. There really is no explanation except that a surprising number of people who stumble onto this site are the kind that probably guzzle bleach IRL until one day someone else kindly points out the warning label.

Something needs to be done to counteract this 'join site what is this site who cares CLICK PUBLISH' instinct, though. and a delay is the best I can think of. And a delay between posting one story and another is if anything even more important, because it just takes one idiot or troll spamming the site to shove all the legitimate stories off the main page listing.

I don't know, these stories used to be funny but now they're wearing me down. I've given up even the most half hearted attempts at politeness or positivity. I just. want them. to stop. Seriously, every time I see one of these stories pop up I can't help but feel a little like the time the cat deposited a half eaten gopher on our kitchen floor and clearly expected praise for it. Except at least the cat couldn't have known any better, and also I'm sure worked harder on that little gift than than most of the-- SORRY, THIS IS JUST PART ONE OF MY POST, TO BE CONTINUED LATER IF ENOUGH PEOPLE LIKE IT,

(no negative feedback okay???)

8 years ago
That's actually the part that upsets me the most about the 1 hour spam stories. Sometimes we get a good quick series of stories that don't meet the immediate deletion criteria and aren't quite bad enough to garner a 1, so they creep out a 2 or a 3 and push stories that took lots of time and effort off the front page.

I feel like there have been a lot of good stories that never received their fair time in the sun because of this.

8 years ago

I used to read almost every story that came out, but then people started to post utter heaps of ebola ridden shit way more often. I completely support the act to increase the wait limit on posting storys upon joining. 

8 years ago

And this is why I give out so many ones now. I see so many people who rate very...let's just say 'generously', and they help keep these stories around even when it's the best thing for all they be taken out behind the barn and quickly and humanely put down. So I fling the ones around to try and counteract this is my own small way. This is also why I suddenly give a crap about my own points when I never did before. If only I'd been getting the dailies all along I could have a little more weight behind my ratings.

I don't have any kind of extreme expectations for rating higher than that, I can enjoy even a flawed work as long as it shows some signs of creativity and effort....just, I want to see something complete, with characters and plot and dialogue, and some signs of proofreading. So you know, the basic minimum requirements to qualify as a story. Stories, that's what I want to see being posted on a site that exists for that purpose. I don't think it's unreasonable.

And it really is a shame that the real, honest attempts people do make just get shoved out of sight by these. I don't go browsing older story games often, but I'm starting to think I should.

Maybe we could even get some kind of thread going in the Parlor, for talking about any gems anyone digs up this way and maybe getting a deserving story a little more attention? 

8 years ago
I've been making an effort to read at least one or two older stories from current active members on a weekly basis. I've been slowly working my way through Will's stories, then it'll be on to Ogre's.

Most of the 5-6 range stories are really pretty darn good and typically have relatively minor flaws or typographical errors that drag down the ratings. Heck, a lot of 4's have a good story to them, but usually just suffer from poor grammar or pacing issues.

8 years ago

But there is still one question that remains. Mods, will this be something that will be hard to do?

8 years ago

A thread, or forum, or some feature of hidden gems. With the criterion being NOT a featured story in the past.

As for the original point, of a time limit on publishing, it could simply be as that. I'm writing a story currently, and have two other ideas. They have sneak preview turned off, all three, because they are in no way shape or form ready. But when they are ready to publish, I'll have sneak preview back on, so can be seen by those with interest.

tl;dr, having a restriction (or even links to another page which states why publishing a game in the first week of joining is a (little b) bad idea, and DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS?), would only serve to stop people who publish in the first week, and that's not an entirely bad thing, putting a small obstacle in the way. Can still drum up interest with sneak preview and in the forums, without spoiling it's 'first' impression, and that small window when it's most noticeable. Imho, at least. I've spent the last few days mostly getting to grips with the editor system alone. If I also needed to learn the format and structure of a CYOA, then that'd be an additional learning burden to have to carry, before being able to make a game that I'd be happy to show to anyone.

7 years ago

I'm thinking 3 days after joining and 240 minutes after creating the game.

7 years ago
Did we ever consider something like this for the forums too? Waiting a day to post would kill the alt trolling spam attacks a bit I would think.

7 years ago

Hmmmmmmmm. That's really interesting. I'm leaning toward it not being a good idea simply because the people who would be deterred by waiting a day are likely not the same people that would make an army of alts. I think I remember Ryder planning his escapades like a week + in advance.

7 years ago
Good point, and some folks may want to ask a question about scripting or their story and having to wait a day would suck. Though after a day it wouldn't be an issue anymore.

7 years ago

Yeah, though maybe that would encourage them to actually go read some of the best stories on the site. I feel like so many new users would benefit from that.

7 years ago
Could you unlock the forums after reading, say, three articles? Perhaps three specific articles that are the most important?

7 years ago

Probably. But, honestly, I don't think it would be worth the time investment on my part, and it might send the wrong message to the kind of people we're not trying to scare off.

7 years ago
CoG sort of does it... so we probably shouldn't. Good point.

7 years ago

LOL.