Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

StoryGame Contest- Riddles & Puzzles 2016

8 years ago

Twelve Entries!  That's pretty great for a CYS contest.  

Check out the Riddles & Puzzles Voting thread for info on how/where to cast your vote for the winner.

Thanks to all who entered, as well as all who gave it their best effort.  I know 10 Days wasn't a lot of time.

Considering how successful this contest was, I'm sure we'll be running another fairly soon.  
(Almost certainly with a longer deadline, and maybe even some advance notice.)

Riddles & Puzzles 2016

How to Enter:

You just need to publish the story on CYS by Feb 29.

Add the tag "contest entry" to your story, and mention in the description that it was made for Riddles & Puzzles 2016.

Definitions:

A riddle is any sort of verbal conundrum.  The player doesn't even have to solve it themselves- it just has to be a part of the story.

A puzzle is anything where the way forward is more complicated than "click one of these choices."

Prizes:

$25 Amazon gift card:

Awarded to the Overall Winner of the contest, as selected by the judges pool.

Top 5 Home Page Placement:

# of winners dependent upon number of entries.  Anywhere from 3 to 6 stories will be added to the rotation of Top 5 stories on the home page for a period of at least one month, possibly longer.  (in simple or advanced depending on their type.)  
Stories will be selected in the order of the following list.  (If a story is already selected, the spot goes to the next on the list.  For example, if Best Riddle was won by the Overall Winner, the third spot goes to Judges Runner-up)

Overall Winner
Spectator Winner
Best Riddle/Puzzle 
Judges Runner-up
Spectators Runner-up
Riddle/Puzzle Runner-up
Judges Honorable Mention
Spectators Honorable Mention
Riddle/Puzzle Honorable Mention

------------

Contest Deadline: February 29

Yes, it's a short time frame.  The idea is to be long enough to write something decent without being so long most people lose interest.

If this one goes well, there may be others in future.

Contest Theme:  Riddles & Puzzles

Your storygame may be of any genre.  The only requirement is that it noticeably features at least one riddle or puzzle.

It may be more story or more game, whichever you like.  Riddles fit nicely into stories, while puzzles lend themselves to gameplay quite well.

-------------

1)  Contest Time Frame:  Entries must be published on CYS by 11:59pm February 29.  

2) Judging:  Anyone who submits a story for the contest automatically enters the judges pool. Anyone else who wants to participate in judging may do so as a member of the spectator's pool.

Depending on the number of entries received, judges/spectators may be required to rank all stories (other than their own, in the case of judges) or to only rank a set number of stories.

In the event that the spectators pool and the judges pool elect different winners, the judges pool will be considered the overall winner of the contest.  The spectators winner will receive a separate prize.

3) Participation Bonus:  Anyone participating in the contest is encouraged to create a Writing Workshop thread for their story.  Updates on the progress of the story, requests for motivation from judges/spectators, etc. are encouraged.   

Any story with a WW thread with more than 5 posts by the author will receive a point bonus. (Not judging points, CYS points.)

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

=D CONTES--... 10 days? o.O

... Goddammit. 

*headdesks* ... *peers up from desk* Is there any chance that the prize will be featuring the winner?

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

Depends if the winner is feature-worthy. XD

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

I have an idea, even a pretty good idea, I just--even my quiz took me a month. Trials of being a working adult.

Knowing my track record, there is just no way, but ... sure, what the hell? I'll try.

Edit: So, I have a basic plot line--and I really do mean basic, don't expect anything ridiculously convoluted like my usual stuff, people--a beginning, a climax, and reason for the puzzles / riddles, and a basic idea of what I'm trying to do. I've written a good chunk of the first page and--hey, look at that. It's going to be the third game in my pre-existing series. xD Because context!

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

I'm glad to see this, but yeesh, 10 days is going to be tight. Whether I enter or not is really going to depend on whether I can get the bulk of it written this weekend. It should mean we get some small but higher quality stories either way though, I'll be interested in seeing what the community comes up with now that the pressure's on.

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

I already have a great idea for a story. \(^o^)/

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago
A certain forum game wouldn't have inspired the theme would it now? XD

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago
I feel like end of march would be a nicer timeframe, but cool that a contest is being run.

What's the prize?

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

If this works out, there will be other contests, with differing lengths.

The previous contest had a very long deadline.  Lots of initial interest, but only 4 completed entries.  We'll see if this is different.

Prizes: Depends how many entrants there are.

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago
I feel like you guys underestimate the effect prizes have on contests. Without prizes you're just winning for the sake of winning, which isnt much different from normal writing habits.

Maybe with longer deadlines we can establish checkpoints or something. Make sure people give regular updates on their work to keep them working.

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago
I just noticed this... I like your suggestion, Killa_Robot. I'm not big on prizes as I just really enjoy writing, but I really like the idea of a longer deadline with checkpoints and having regular updates! It would help me with keeping my moral up while I'm still battling writer's block...

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago
I will participate! I will! I believe I can fly! But it's my exam!? But I will!

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

Wonder how mine will be judged.

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago
What are these going to be judged on? General quality of the storygame? Does the quality/creativity of the puzzle itself hold a lot of weight in the judges' decision? Is it up to each individual judge what they rate the storygames on?

EDIT: And just so we're clear about what exactly a puzzle is in this context, please can we have a definition? I was thinking of maybe doing a storygame about taking on a bank heist, where there are multiple ways to complete it but the answer wouldn't be so obvious that it could be completed immediately. Is that the sort of thing you meant by a puzzle?

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

The exact judging stipulations will be dependent on how many entries we get.  

I'd say the two main things to focus on for this contest are overall story quality and the riddle/puzzle. 

A riddle is any sort of verbal conundrum.  The player doesn't even have to solve it themselves- it just has to be a part of the story.

A puzzle is anything where the way forward is more complicated than "click one of these choices."

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

How do I submit an entry, if I can finish it in time?

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

You just need to publish the story on CYS by Feb 29.

Add the tag "contest entry" to your story, and mention in the description that it was made for Riddles & Puzzles 2016.

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

Can the story already be pre-written?

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

No, that's kinda unfair to the people playing it as a ten day challenge.

StoryGame Contest

8 years ago

Awh, this looks like fun! Unfortunately I'm going to be really busy for the next few days so I don't know if I'll have time to write anything. We'll see. ^_^

8 years ago

What is a "Spectator Winner?"

8 years ago

spectators = ppl who aren't judges / didn't participate in contest but still want to vote. 

8 years ago

Oh, okay. How is the voting done by the way? Do people rate the games or put them in order of games they liked best to games they liked least?

8 years ago

Ranked in order I think.  Depends on how many there end up being.

8 years ago

:D I'm doing it! Mine will probably suck but what the hell? I'll give it a try.

8 years ago

Aw heck, why not?  I'll do one because I have never done a writing contest before, and this probably would get some more critiques on my writing skills.

8 years ago
I am still debating whether I will enter or not. I really want to enter my first contest... But I don't know if this is the right one? I'm not good with puzzles or riddles lol. And I'm new to the advanced editor...

Update: Guess I will enter, if I can finish a game in time...

8 years ago

I would like to enter, but I'll be rather busy this week. Also I haven't written a story on here before so I'm rather inexperienced. I guess it's not a good idea so maybe next time.

8 years ago

Does the riddle have to be verbal?

8 years ago

No. 

8 years ago

Are we going to have quite a long time frame to be able to judge/rank these storygames? It sounds like there's a lot of entrants, and it will take even longer to complete them considering they are mostly going to be puzzle-heavy. I'll probably be quite busy after submitting this as well.

8 years ago
I have submitted my entry - Tower of Doom! Find it in the new games section! It's my first scripting experiment!

8 years ago
Why do I feel like pretending the story I am writing is going to be entered, but isn't, and I just try to get 5 different people to reply xD

(Will just write a short story!)

8 years ago

What time-zone is this specific to?

8 years ago

Est 

8 years ago

A quick question to clarify, does the game have to be set so the player has to face at least one riddle or puzzle, irrespective of their choices? Or is it sufficient that the riddle/puzzle be a major part of the story, e.g. you have to solve it to reach the epilogue of the story?

8 years ago

It says in the description post "The only requirement is that it noticeably features at least one riddle or puzzle."

I guess that probably means a riddle or puzzle should be present in most major branches/playthroughs. If it's a puzzle it has to be solved by the player but a riddle doesn't necessarily have to be, as long as it's featured in the story.

8 years ago

I know it's a pedantic question, but I won't be penalised if I write my story in British English instead of American English, right?

8 years ago

I can be almost 100% certain that you won't, because I'm pretty sure some of the featured storygames aren't in US English. Price of Freedom is one example, I think.

8 years ago

Only just saw this now. 

Sadly no time to write somthing for it :(

8 years ago
6 days is plenty! Don't give up, this is good even if just to get an idea. :D

8 years ago

Ah if it was just that time I'd go for it, I just have zero free time right now

8 years ago
Know the feeling, had no time to work on my main game and I pretty much lost the focus on it. Using the contest to get back into it (with a short story).

8 years ago

I have entured my storee.  It is called The Awesume.

Nobody will like it.  I tried to warn you.

Ain't be so pessymistik.  They will think it be the most besterlyest evur.

8 years ago

Mine is done! It is called riddle-master

It probably sucks but its my first one, so watcha gonna do? Hope you like!

8 years ago

My puzzle game, The Poem, is finished and published. Just a warning, if  you don't have time to give the riddle your full concentration, you'd best not even try. But for anyone else, I  encourage you to try as much as you want.

8 years ago

Completed my entry. You can find it here > http://chooseyourstory.com/story/The_Ancient_Cookie.aspx

8 years ago

Walkthrough for The Ancient Cookie is found here > http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/writing-workshop/message/18891

8 years ago
I have updated my game - Tower of Doom! Features more everything!

8 years ago

*cracks knuckles* let's see what I can do in four days...

8 years ago
My game Survival of the Fittest! is now published!

8 years ago
Oh god. My eyes, they burn at that storygame page.

Why would you do that?

8 years ago
Is it too much? Lol

(Really, should I change it so the judges don't give me poor scores based solely on my color scheme?)

8 years ago

The color's giving me a headache.

8 years ago
*sigh* okay, okay... gimme a second and I will change it... (it doesn't look bad on my tablet, though...)

8 years ago
Yes it's too much. It seems like you realized you could change the background and thought "I should because I can". The colour doesn't add anything, and only distracts from the experience.

8 years ago
I just thought so many games on here look plain, and I wanted to make mine unique. (Hold on, will take me a minute to change it.)

8 years ago

It reminds me of http://www.reddit.com/r/ooer

8 years ago
Your choice of color scheme...

8 years ago
Yes....?

8 years ago

... Is not important in comparison to the writing, riddles, and what it will actually be judged on, so I wouldn't worry about it.

8 years ago
I think you missed the painful explosion of whatever it originally was. My eyes shed tears of blood. I could not read, think or see.

8 years ago

Lol. I didn't miss it and I didn't bleed, but I will concede that it looks better now that it's been changed.

8 years ago
Lmao.... how did I miss this exchange??

Anyways, thanks for saying it looks better... wish I had a computer so I could see how awful it apparently was to some of you, lol. (I kinda miss the pink, lol...)

8 years ago
Is that better??

8 years ago

My story is getting close to being ready, Chapter 1 is all done except for programming a few variables and items for the puzzle at the end. Chapter 2 is still under construction, but once again it should not take too long once I get the hang of the variables and items. Even so, I'll probably end up actually publishing within 24 hours of the deadline, just so I can proof-read my story at least once. I have the link to the sneak preview on my Writing Workshop thread if you wish to read what I've done so far, but I'd appreciate it if you wait until it's actually published before rating the game or commenting on the game page.

8 years ago
Will there be a masterpost that lists all the games in this contest so that people who are interested can easily find them and play them?

8 years ago

Yes, there will be a master list of entries.

Also, I'm asking that all authors provide a link to a walkthrough.  

In order for entries to be fairly rated, judges need to be able to finish the game in the time allotted for judging.

No spoilers: give people a chance to try the riddles on their own. Walkthroughs should be a separate forum post (or hosted elsewhere if you like) and clearly marked.

8 years ago
The walk-through for my entry can be found in the forums or by clicking the link on my profile!

8 years ago

Just so no one (including myself) gets confused with the time zones, would you be able to post something when it's exactly 24 hours before the closing time for entries? Thanks. 

8 years ago

I can try. XD 

For anyone's reference: right now it is 1:37 pm on the 28th. 

8 years ago
Way to not even give the timezone, lol.

8 years ago

Why does timezone matter?

For me, knowing "okay, 2 hours ago it was 1 o'clock there.  It's one o'clock now, so I'm two hours behind."  Is easier than "okay, he's in mountain time zone? So that's. . . I have to go look that up, I have no clue how it relates to my time zone."

8 years ago

EST, right?

8 years ago

Cos i am ahead of everyone it is already the 29th.

8 years ago

Well apparently I have 30 hours.

8 years ago
I have 29 o-o

8 years ago

Shoot. >_<

You have like, 23 hours & 15 minutes or so.

8 years ago
So we actually have until the end of the 29th? cause if not I got like 20 minutes and this'll be the best clutch ever because I forgot about it and just remembered I only have like 3 pages done...

8 years ago

If the deadline wasn't the end of the 29th, I think you'd actually be an hour and 45 minutes late by now.

8 years ago

Thank goodness. I thought I was going to have to pull an all-nighter to finish this thing.

8 years ago

My story, The Dream Thief, is finally published!

8 years ago

Finished.

Disclaimer, it is terrible.

8 years ago

I wish I could (in good conscience) rate it higher than I did, because it was charming in spite of its length.

8 years ago

I'm taking this as a compliment.

8 years ago

It was meant as one. I genuinely enjoyed it.

8 years ago

I genuinely enjoyed your mother's company last night.

8 years ago

Actually, that was my father. It was dark, I know.

8 years ago

Damnable vulpine eyesight! Well, at least I can detect motion and confirm that sex did happen. Huzzah!

8 years ago

...but no matter how dark it was, how do you not notice when - ???

Actually, you know what, I'm not going to finish that thought for the sake of my own sanity.

8 years ago

Ever heard of "Madam Butterfly"? Stranger things have happened.

8 years ago

I just read the synopsis, and it seems rather dull to me.

Should I go see a doctor?

8 years ago

I meant the version where it's a male opera singer that the dude is fooling around with for 20 years. You make the mistake once, that's one thing. Two decades, though?

8 years ago

In some feliforms, the female's vulva is almost indistinguishable from a male's scrotum.

8 years ago

Oh, what's that? Hey, it's what's left of my sanity! It's going.

...It's going.

It's gone.

Ah well, with friends like the two of you, I probably better off without it. XD

8 years ago

*grin* Yes, embrace the madness! EMBRACE IT! :D *hug*

8 years ago

Out of curiosity, who comprises the spectator's pool? Is it everyone who rates/comments the game, or a select panel? Entrants in the contest aren't allowed to be part of the spectator's pool because of the conflict of interest, right?

8 years ago

"2) Judging:  Anyone who submits a story for the contest automatically enters the judges pool. Anyone else who wants to participate in judging may do so as a member of the spectator's pool."

"Depending on the number of entries received, judges/spectators may be required to rank all stories (other than their own, in the case of judges) or to only rank a set number of stories."

You're a participant, so you are judging. You are not judging your own story.

8 years ago

OK, so where do I make my 'judgements', do I post them in this thread, on the contest games, or PM them to Sethaniel? And do I rank them by score or in a numerical order (from favourite to least favourite)? 

8 years ago

I have no idea.

@Sethaniel

8 years ago

Ah! I forgot the tag, but I went back and added it. I submitted my story (Full Moon's Night) around 12:15, does it still qualify?

8 years ago
No. The deadline was absolute and any story not submitted by 12:00 on the dot will not be accepted. /s

8 years ago

Ok, thanks. Maybe next time.

8 years ago

Ignore him bilbo. Fords a notorious asshst

8 years ago
/s is an indication of sarcasm, so he was never serious to begin with, lol.

8 years ago

You mean I could have been using sarcasm online all these years? A whole new world has just been opened to me.

8 years ago

Riddle/Puzzle 2016 is officially closed.

Any stories currently submitted are accepted for entry. 

The master list and rules for judging will be posted at some point on March 2. 

8 years ago

Cool, I've already written up my rating/comment to each game in a Word Document so I'll transmit it however I need to once I get the instructions.

8 years ago
You can't rate the games until you follow each walk-through... There is a post above that says something about this...

8 years ago

Sadly, 10 days wasn't enough for my story, I refuse to publish a crappy game. Im excited to see who wins though.

8 years ago
That's tooo bad! I'm sorry... :/

8 years ago

It's ok though, i'll still finish it and publish it still, and my rewards will be you guys liking it. :)

8 years ago
Looking forward to it... :)

I actually didn't put a lot of focus into my entry as I am currently writing a much longer game... lol.

8 years ago

I'm in a similar boat, actually. Congratulations to everyone who finished in time, though!

8 years ago

The Walkthrough for The Dream Thief is up now, I strongly recommend you play the game through and attempt the puzzles/riddles on your own first though. To save you having to search, the link to the actual game is: The Dream Thief

PS I revised my ratings and/or comments after two walkthroughs were published, I worked out the rest on my own so I'm good to share my 'judgements' once that process is opened up. 

8 years ago

I finished this a few days ago, but I just noticed this now.

The Curse of Norgurune

8 years ago
I think some people are forgetting this is a contest about "riddles and puzzles." I've noticed some of the harder games are getting low ratings... one question, regarding this: aren't puzzles SUPPOSED to be challenging!?! Just wanted to put that out there... and fyi, I'm not only referring to my own game, I've noticed this on at least two other games...

8 years ago
I think that's something good to keep in mind, but I also think a good riddle/puzzle game allows either for progression with a failure along a divergent pathway, or offers the reader a chance to essentially RESET time and try again right before the point of failure, probably with a hint if it's a harder riddle/puzzle, rather than an instant END GAME. At least up until you get near the end.

The reader wants to be entertained, and if they honestly cannot figure out the solution, the game isn't entertaining for them. It's just frustrating, which is the exact opposite intention of a writer's overarching goal.

For example, if you cannot solve Beardon's first riddle, it's END GAME. Anyone that cannot solve it, is almost certainly going to rate it a 1, 2 or 3 because they did not really experience anything and cannot progress. Heck, he may have created a super creative, good riddle that makes tons of sense after you solve it, but without a hint or divergent storyline, anyone who cannot solve it will never know.

So it's in a writer's best interest not to annoy the reader, even if it's unintentional. The goal is to entertain the reader, after all.

8 years ago
I agree with your assessment, Bucky. But we did only have 10 days, lol.... I just ask that the judges fully experience each game before judging! Thanks to those that do!

8 years ago
I wouldn't worry. Seth knows what he is doing.

8 years ago
If I had more time (and I do now that the contest is over), I might follow this advice by making a game that has a path that is simply longer (or more difficult) if the reader gets the puzzle wrong...

8 years ago
Good idea, Ogre. I'm actually planning to make mine at least more playable after the contest is over... A lot of people missed the story by my impossible to beat variables, lol. My fault, though, for not viewing how the game would play for someone who doesn't know all the correct paths... I just had time to make sure the game worked completely until the end using the correct path. Oops. But this was my first published game and was definitely worth the learning process as I am currently writing a game 4 times longer... :)

8 years ago

Since this is my first contest, I was wondering, is it normal for entrants to post something in this thread saying 'This is why my story should win', or is that generally not done? 

8 years ago

No. No, that is not normally done, and I would advise against trying it.