Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

http://www.chooseyourstory.com/story/becoming-legend

Since I'm back on the site and active again, I suppose it was only a matter of time before this game sucked me back in. So...yep, working on it again. Drawing, scripting, writing, and NOT SLEEPING AT ALL HAHAHAHAHA.

Just making a thread to hold myself accountable, track progress, and hopefully recruit people willing to help proofread both writing and script.

Current Progress:

-->Prologue: 45/50 pages

-->Chapter I: 40/179 pages

-->Chapter IIa: 189/220 pages

-->Chapter IIb: 12/218 pages

-->Chapter III: 0/??? pages

-->Chapter IV: 0/??? pages

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

And so the CYS infant mortality rate steadily increases once more.

Becoming Legend

8 years ago
O_o What. Why? What did I do?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Ooh, are we using the baby catapults as "motivators" again?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

You betcha. It isn't quite a motivational thread without them.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

I think it goes without saying I'm thrilled about this. :D And I'd be happy to help proofread once you're at that stage.

It seems like you have everything through chapter IIB planned out it in quite a lot of detail if you know the exact page counts you'll be needing already, so hopefully that means you have an easier time keeping things moving on there.

Of course posting the link means you're going to be getting a bunch of people watching you update it live. No pressure or anything! :P

Anyway, I don't usually pay much attention to motivational threads, but I'll definitely be following this one with interest. :)

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Ahahahaha, well, updating live, yeah, about that...

I'll let you know when I've started writing instead of scripting, but trying to combine a customized inventory with battle script so that you can use any of your items to help you in a fight...may...take a while...

Especially since every skill and spell is essentially an item, and have to do different things on different pages, and level up with use...*tears hair out*

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

... Any of our items? In combat?

Please tell me this includes any pots, silverware, oddball puzzle implements, knicknacks, and cow turds we've accumulated over the course of our journey...

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
Well, you could certainly TRY. I'm not sure how many pots, silverware, oddball puzzle implements, knicknacks, and cow turds you'll actually find in the game, but I don't see why not?

Although most of the above items will likely just lead to wasting a turn, or a sarcastic 'why would you do that?' message.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Becoming Legend: the cow turd flinging simulator CYS has always wanted?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
I was thinking more along the lines of flinging fireballs or bolts of lightning instead, but you know, why the hell not? I'll script it in somewhere XD

Somewhere very obscure and unlikely to ever show up in proper gameplay, but it'll be an easter egg for you guys.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Are you kidding!? Solid, tactical use of the humble cow turd can be a devastating fight ender. You can blind and suffocate your foes with this  magical, natural device, you can light them on fire, knock your opponent off balance, and even deny area access on the battlefield. It is the best of defensive maneuvers and the best of offensive maneuvers! "Strategic Maneuver" shares a bunch of letters with "Strategic Manure" for a reason! "Manure" is the root word. The one  form of combat that has stood the test of time is the throwing of cow shit. Rocks and slings? Bah, they have the gun for that kinda thing nowadays. Clubs? Phased out by maces and hammers, and then by police batons. Swords? Upgraded to tactical katanas with blood grooves.

The one thing that has stood the test of time, the one thing that humans have done in warfare since the dawn of history, and the one thing you can do if you hope to survive an attack from a trained master samurai dual-wielding ten-groove double-sided katanas made of 6000-fold, 410L-steel that's been tempered in frozen human blood twice for each blade.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Be still my beating heart.

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

Almost done with the inventory scripting, started drawing the icons while waiting for smoke to stop pouring out of my ears. I'm going to regret the decision to draw all my graphics from scratch, but honestly, compared to how long it takes me to find an internet image that looks exactly how I want it, I figure I'm still saving time in the long run.

Here's a little sneak peek at what the inventory icons are going to look like:

Just...forty eight more items to go. Hahahaha...Oh wait, and cow turd, make that forty nine.

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

I can't wait! You seem like an awesome artist and writer, so it better be good :D

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

Beautiful work, quills.

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

One of those is showing up broken for me, but oh my goodness they are pretty. :3 :3 :3

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

I envy you. I wish I could draw like you. *pouts*

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

This is going to be such a beautiful storygame, not just writing and gameplay wise but aesthetically as well.

Not sure if it's just me and the crappy library filter, but the second image (between the ring and the sword) isn't working for me. I'll update once I get home to see if I can view it from there.

EDIT: Okay, so Mizal is having trouble viewing one of them too. I wonder if it's the same one.

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

Yeah, I can't see it either. Either way, nice job quiller.

Becoming Legend

8 years ago
Ehehehe, my strategy is more like 'throw enough pretty pictures at them and they won't notice the lackluster writing and gameplay XD

Hm, how many icons do you see in total? I posted five in the order of Ring, Dagger, Key, Grass, Apple

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

All five of those are showing; there's just an extra, sourceless image after the ring.

It might not be visible depending on your browser, but to me it looks like:

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

All icons are showing but an extra broken image appears after the ring.

Becoming Legend

8 years ago

It's a dagger.

Becoming Legend

8 years ago
Thanks for the heads up! Turns out it was a typo in my post, whoops

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Oh man Quiller, I think I'm really working up some anxiety for this! I don't usually follow motivational threads, but I'm sure I'll stick with this one. Just the item icons get me ready to experience this game. I'm looking forward to the finished product. :)

Notice me Senpai! *Squee!*

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
I'll be making a graphics update today, and you'll be able to see what the new "user interface" looks like :D

...assuming that I can get all the image links to map properly and that I'm not cramming so many pictures onto every page that it takes too long to load.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Sounds good! 

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

User Interface is up and running...hopefully! There might still be some bugs I haven't worked out yet, so if anyone has some time on their hands, I'd really appreciate some beta-testers!

Here's a silly game you can play to test it out.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Sorry to precipitate on your party Quiller, but the link doesn't work. I was looking forward to that game.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Hm. Try copy-pasting?

www.chooseyourstory.com/story/quilly-testing-grounds

Here's the link again, in case I just made a silly typo:

Quilly Testing Grounds

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Oh man. The entire thing was beautiful. Please finish this game.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

The entire thing looks fantastic and I appreciate the humor.

One thing: I tried click items and it took away my battle options and any other ability to interact beyond restoring my mana / hp. Is that intentional, in progress, or a glitch and do you want a screenshot?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

You should be able to click the little circles with the images of the spells on them, arranged around the word 'Magic'.

Sorry if it's not clear that those are links. I'll, uh, add a glowy mouseover effect if you think it'd help?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

I noticed that magic doesn't damage the "troll". Are they healing spells?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

....I knew I forgot something XD Gimme a sec, it should be fixed really quick.

--edit--

Okay, damage should be working!

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

No, I know, that's how you cast spells. I'm saying that they all disappear if I click "items"

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
Oh. That is...very strange???? I have no idea why the link script is doing that, but I've just deleted it and replaced it with a new one, so hopefully it'll work now?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Yeah, it's not breaking the game now, all good.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
Looks really good. My only suggestion is to make the toggle, well, an actual toggle.

%VARIABLE := (%VARIABLE * -1) + 1

^This code will switch a variable between 0 and 1 whenever executed. Can put it into one link to make it neater.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
^Thank you!!! That's actually a great idea, and really makes it a lot neater since I have a few more toggles I need to add to the options page.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

If you're really, really, really bored, you could also try dying or killing the troll.

Skills should also level up with use. Certain skills level faster than others.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Just tried dying. :P The resurrect link didn't work for me. Great interface so far.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
Thanks for actually testing it out so much! The resurrect link should be working now. Turns out I forgot the reset health code in the link script, whoops :P

--edit--

1000th post :D

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

FLLLLLLLIIINGGG!

Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
...is this a subtle request for the cow-turn item you guys wanted a while ago? XD

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

... "subtle"? xD

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

I think it's funny that you put it in Horror,

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
There's nothing quite as horrifying in a storygame as clicking an innocent looking link, only to get a bunch of big red error message words in your face.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

I have one question:

Why does Melee drain your HP?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Why wouldn't it? If you're just straight up attacking your opponent without defending yourself, you don't expect them to lie there and take it, do you?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Well, I guess.....

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

The troll does 2 damage to you every turn, unless you have a shield spell active :)

The actual game will actually tell you how much every skill costs and what it does. I just, eh, was too lazy to include them here.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

I get it. That's the enemy attacking. I just thought since the Melee action was next to the HP and the items were next to the Mana....

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
Hm. You're right - I can see why you'd think that.

Sadly, the only reason they're so close to the HP and MP there is because I couldn't figure out how else to arrange so many links into a small space without making it look overly crowded. Not because of a clever game mechanic.

Would have been cool though!

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

It's okay, just my mind needs like 5 hours focus on something to understand it! XD

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

7249 AD

The scene pans to a snowy tundra, the snow and ice covering old, derelict skyscrapers. There's a hail storm out today, violent, and we see a lone man wandering through the icy hell. He enters one of the buildings to seek shelter, and then pulls out a small disk and sets it on a desk. He states, in a gruff voice "Power on." A hologram comes out of the disk, and the man says: "Go to site 'Chooseyourstory.com." The website appears on the hologram. He navigates to an ancient thread, and sees a post.

Becoming Legend:
2 minutes ago
the_quiller                                                  Reply
It's done you guys.

"Oh, cool."

So basically that was saying that this will take 5243 more years to complete.
I can wait that long.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Only 5000 years? I think you're being a little too optimistic...:P

But wow, even from just that short story, your writing has improved by leaps and bounds since I last saw anything you wrote.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

He's been working on it.

Not like I'm any better.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Its a bit buggy, and how is it that year?

Nastrudaumus says that the world shall end at the turn of the century; 7027 A.D.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Well, I won't be alive then.....

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Not with that attitude!

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Indeed. The key to immortality is ignoring the fact that you've already lived four times longer than an animal of your species normally does.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

"I'll have to remember that."

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

No, I meant I won't live that long without my Demonic Powers. I will live forever!

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Yes; it ended of an eternal ice age. Sometimes your ignorance amuses me.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

"NOT SLEEPING AT ALL HAHAHAHAHA."makes me imagine this ---->  or this

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

I can't wait, this will be good :D

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago
>exec stillinterested.exe
>execing stillinterested.exe
>exec successful
>set interest 1
>interest set to 1

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Huh?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

He said that he's still interested... except he did it as if he was attempting to run a computer program.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

I understood that, but why?

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

Because he could.

Becoming Legend:

8 years ago

The story and its graphics are amazing!

Listen, this is going to become the number one story by far, but to what standereds?