Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Beware of Things That Go Bump in the Night

8 years ago
So, I started this game based off one of the short stories I posted for Quiller's contest. It's about four teenaged friends who have to explore an abandoned theme park. During their adventures, they discover someone is animating the attractions of the park. They have to stop whoever is behind it before the monsters take over the town. I have over 20 monsters that you can fight during gameplay. I am also making it so that the player can pick which character to play as. I have seven attractions you can explore, such as a magic show, a funhouse, a fortune teller's tent, and a haunted house. Each character will react differently when battling monsters and faced with difficult tasks. I have a seperate achievement you can earn for each character if you help them overcome one of their faults. I also have a good, a best, an average, and a bad epilogue you can get. I am currently debating whether the character will have stats or not. Some of the monsters are a werewolf, a vampire, a golem, and a sphynx.

Progress so far 1/10 chapters complete. The game is even bigger than I had originally anticipated, so it may take me awhile.

What do you guys think? Sound fun?

8 years ago

It definitely sounds interesting.

8 years ago
Thank you! I wanted to make something fun. I hope you like it when I finish.

8 years ago

Another story!? Man, I can't finish my first D:

8 years ago

Try avoiding the forums. Being perfectly serious on that. It's what I do when I can't focus on here, I ignore all my notifications for a while, get into the editor, and just start writing. Doesn't have to be good as it can be fixed later, you just need to get into the mindset and go from there.

7 years ago

Thanks bro.

7 years ago
I just wanted to post the description I have for the game so far. And a couple pages I edited and added to from Quiller's contest. How does this sound so far? If anyone read the original story, does this sound better? Is it worded better? (I also posted this if anyone missed the original story.) This is my first epic game, so I'm trying to get it right...

The Description:

The small town of Darlynn lies on the coast of North Carolina. There is nothing memorable about Darlynn, not since they closed the theme park down. But long ago when it was still open, something terrible happened that led to it's closure. The children of this town know that the theme park is haunted. They beg their parents to divulge why it was shut down, but the adults remain tight-lipped about whenever the subject is brought up. The theme park, once known as "Fun Land," now lies abandoned at the boardwalk that leads down to the pier. It looks empty and abandoned during the day, but at night it looks spooky as hell. Four friends must discover what really happened at the theme park and try to stop the monsters within from being unleashed on this sleepy town. Can they survive "No Man's Land?"

Part of the first chapter:

We walk down the dark, gloomy street in utter silence. The streetlights play with our shadows, enlongating them and making them look strange. It's a warm spring evening, and the wind is blowing softly. I can already smell the ocean as we are nearing our destination. The wind suddenly whips my hair into my face. I brush it away, impatiently. We are quiet, each lost in our own thoughts as we walk. It's almost as if we are afraid to make any sounds other than our own echoing footsteps. Brody finally breaks the silence, startling me.

"So, where are we going?" he asks, although I know he cannot possibly be that stupid.

"You know where," I say, impatiently. "Don't act dumb, and don't ask stupid questions or you'll get a stupid answer," I continue chiding him.

He looks at me blankly as if he doesn't understand. I roll my eyes and hurry my pace. Brody is a good friend, but sometimes his slowness grates on my nerves, especially now in this time of need. Brody is short for a guy and on the heavy side. Although he is not very smart, he can usually lighten any situation with his jokes and good cheer. Tonight, though, neither of those traits will come in handy.

I bravely place myself at the front of the group, although I would rather be snuggled in bed, safe at home. I pray my courage will somehow rub off on my friends. We have a dangerous task ahead of us. I stop and look back, waiting for the rest of my friends with a look of grim determination on my face. I watch Autumn as she trudges along slowly beside Brody. She looks as if she just wants to disappear into the ground, or perhaps even turn around and flee. She has some books clutched tightly to her chest, as if they can protect her from the night. Autumn is the shy, quiet type. But she is also the top of our class with her high marks in school.

"Come on, you guys," I urge, wanting to just get this over with already. I do not want the whole school to think that I chickened out, especially as I'm new to the school.

I briefly meet Patrick's eyes in the darkness. Patrick is the leader of our group of outcasts. He is tall and pale with dark, spiky hair and sharp blue eyes behind wire-rimmed glasses. I find myself strangely attracted to him for some unfathomable reason. I don't know what he did to even become an outcast like the rest of us. Patrick seems to understand my unspoken sense of urgency and picks up his pace, which causes the others to follow suit. Ever our leader, Patrick finally joins the conversation.

"You heard, Charlie," he says. "We all know how important tonight is for her. She has to do this, and she can't be late. Just think what everyone at school will call her tomorrow if she backs out now..."

I smile gratefully at him. As the new kid in town, I really didn't have many friends to choose from to join me tonight. I only started school here two weeks ago and have only recently begun hanging out with my companions. I find myself suddenly glad that at least Patrick, or Pat as some call him, is at my back. I pray that I will somehow make it through this night. I straighten my shoulders and trudge onwards, toward whatever fate awaits me.

7 years ago
I like it!

7 years ago

Great so far! :D

Hopefully I can get done a lot on mine........

7 years ago

It's looking good, well done.

7 years ago
Thanks for your feedback! Appreciate it!

And everyone else's feedback as well! :)

7 years ago

Ur a boss breezy.