Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 12/11/2016: Won't work with the current forum structure

Sticky Threads

7 years ago

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I'd like to know if it's possible to implement a 'sticky thread' system, for the mods to use.

Basically, a sticky thread is a thread that stays at the top of a forum's thread list, even if other posts are made. I propose a system of sticky threads in forum categories like the WW or the FWW, with for example links to the minimum site standards, or proper FWW formatting. The goal being a quick overview of the minimum standards/accepted etiquette for for example posting in the forums, or publishing a story.

Especially with regards to new members, I think it might be difficult to identift which articles (like the minimum site standards) are somewhat mandatory to read, and which aren't. Especially if their listed between an ever-inceasing list of helpful, but not compulsory to read. Implementing sticky threads would make them more visible, and gives new members a clear overview of what's expected from them on CYS, hopefully saving some of them a lot of time writing stuff that would otherwise be deleted, and saving the mods the trouble of unpublishing those stories.

The only problem is, I don't know how difficult it is to implement this. I know a lot of other forums have this feature, but I don't know if it's possible to do this on CYS. Maybe a more tech-savvy user could give some comments on this?

Sticky Threads

7 years ago
http://chooseyourstory.com/ shows the latest N&U thread so they're technically stickied. If the mods need to say something worth being stickied they would post in N&U.

IMO threads outside of N&U are seldom worth sticky-ing. FWW usually has a low amount of active threads anyways - and when alexp comes on I assume he skims through them (and probably takes a peek at whatever popular threads are going on at the time around the forums) so there's not a good reason to sticky those.

WW contests/community activities would be nice to be able to sticky. As with you, I have no idea how this is implemented. I've never had to deal with sticky thread code :S

Sticky Threads

7 years ago

Yeah okay, I see your point, but I actually meant it more in the sense like a sticky thread about 'the basics of writing on cys', with links to helpful articles and minimum site standards, in the WW. Or 'proper formats for feature requests' in the FWW.

Sticky Threads

7 years ago

I would like to see something like this, but made for the end user. Sort of like favoriting a certain thread, stickying it would make it more easily accessible.

Sticky Threads

7 years ago

You can already follow them and be notified on updates though. It wouldn't be needed for the end user in my opinion.

Sticky Threads

7 years ago

Alex P has stated that the current system the site runs on would not support stickies.