Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Hai, this place seems pretty cool. I'm excited to read some stories other people have made and maybe even post some of my own.

I've made some choose your own adventure stories before, but I never did anything with them. I was the only person who saw them, so I have no idea if I'm actually any good at it. 

Any advice on what I should or shouldn't do here? 

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Hi @BunMuffin ! Welcome to CYS! I'll be your tour guide and I'll help you through learning how the site works. I'm sure you'll be very good at writing stories. After all, we all can fix things about our writing ; )

Don't be ignorant. Most people who are get banned or....something else. Am I forgetting anything?

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

I've messed around with the editor a little bit. It seems pretty easy to learn. 

I'll make sure to not be ignorant.

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Don't make the choices meaningless, first of all.  And avoid really gruesome / graphic stuff.  And I highly recommend avoiding taking any inspirations from children's novels, unless you've got the mind to take your own spins on them.  Really unique spins (the initial ideas can be as weird as you want, but preferably stick to something that makes you want to wake every day to put in a few words).

As for what you should do?  I can't help you there, besides expecting that a multi-branched story should take a lot longer than a usual linear story, and the best ones on this site have taken literal years to make.  Intimidating, I know, but it tends to grow on you after a while.

The one thing you could do, I think, is prioritize real-life time over CYS time, though.  Can't write a CYOA if you don't have a job or education, can you?  That, and don't worry about how fast other people pump out their works, unless it's in a contest.  :P

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

I feel like by " highly recommend avoiding taking any inspirations from children's novels" you are referencing to the warrior cats outburst?

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Yep. Swift likes to reference and imply things. Just like that one time, when I believe they were trying to criticize someone for nercoing, but I think it went over the guy's head.

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Who was he?

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Welcome.

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Hi, I'm Steve. Here's some tips: 

Don't read Warrior Cats.

Don't talk to the trolls

Put work into what you make

Don't rush a story game

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Welcome to CYS. I'm Kiel, one of the site moderators, and I'd strongly recommend reading the articles in the help and info section. The articles cover everything you could possibly need / want to know--though you are always welcome to drop me a line via PM if you have questions.

Before you write anything, I'd also strongly recommend reading some of the games around here, particularly anything featured (the games displayed directly under the category links) and the top-rated games.

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

thanx! kissmail

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

As Kiel says, you should read the "Help & Info" articles.

Some things I should say upfront are:

1. Don't expect the forums to be good for much more than general "shit-shooting" and problem solving. You're not likely to have a profound discussion about any socially relevant topic here. It's been a little less than civil since...around when I joined.
  2. We can't judge your writing until you write something, but please, please don't ask for mercy in your story summary. That is just an invitation for people to hillbilly shit-stomp (credits for this particular expletive go to TheNewIAP) your feelings.
  3. You are not a human being when you are here. By default, you are a muffin. I am a fox. Morgan_R is an owl. ISentinelPenguinI is a Scottish Penguinite Warrior that shares a body with an impotent teenager. In short, roleplay. It's healthy.

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Hi and welcome to CYS.

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Hi and welcome!

Can't really give any advice except for the common sense stuff. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the site, read the top rated stories, articles and so on. Good quality stories take time and effort to write, so don't feel like you have to rush something out your first week or even month. Proofreading, an involving plot, interesting characters and so on are of course as important to a CYOA as they would be for any other type of story, and of course a writer putting their work up on the internet for strangers to critique should know of the dangers of thin skin.

There's always a few people being idiots in the Lounge, but you learn to tune them out or laugh at them (AT, not WITH, I want to make the distinction very clear), and it's a pretty chill place otherwise. The Writing Workshop is the place with the highest signal to noise ratio usually and it is a good place to stop by if you need feedback on an idea on your work. 

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Hewwo. I am the site's Sakura tree. Nice to meet you. Please check the Help and Info Section for help. Some of the articles are a little outdated, though. Please, enjoy yourself here.

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago
Welcome to the site, I do hope you enjoy your time here.

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Don't accept PMs from anyone in a fur suit...

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Too late 

Hi, I'm new. Any advice?

7 years ago

Yo. Welcome.