Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Hey, we barely even talk about real time strategy games.

If you ever played one, which one is your favorite?

Mine are Company of Heroes 1 and 2. Best strategy games ever, followed by Men of War. I'm always a fan of historical world war 2 fictions.

I tend to play as Wehrmacht in both CoH 1 and 2. No, not because I'm a nazi sympathizer, but I prefer their units and playstyle over the Allied forces. I'm not a fond of playing as the Soviets in CoH 2, but I played plenty as American and British in CoH 1.

The campaigns are good. The stories are well-made and left some feelings for me, and they are based on true events. The Tiger Ace campaign in Tales of Valor is based on the story of Michael Wittmann.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Command and Conquer.

COH 2 tried to squeeze the living hell out of wallets with their dlc.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Command and Conquer is good, but CoH is still superior. I tend to play as GDI.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago
I've only really played Empire Earth, the original and the second one.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Well, Total War has been keeping me busy lately. And not to say Europa Universalis IV(and the new custom country creation DLC) who I've been playing for a long while now.

I've played CoH 2 and it was a good game, but I didn't get the same good vibes from it as I did from Command and Conquer and Age of Empires

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

I played Napoleon Total War for a while. It's good.

I like CoH 2 better due to the mechanics and such. I hate some things though, and I miss some stuff from CoH 1. Tiger tanks aren't fortresses like in the first CoH. German tanks were kinda OP in the first CoH. Also, the fact that Wehrmacht can have permanent vetted units by upgrading them make them even more superior. I'm annoyed whenever SU-85s are wrecking my panzers.

Still glad that they somewhat nerfed Germans in CoH 2 though. Tiger tanks become seemingly pointless. Why would I waste a lot of fuels for a heavy tank that can be taken down by SU-85s (or rendered useless with T-34 ramming it) while I can build more cost-effective Panzer IVs or Panthers?

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

To be honest, my favorite strategy game on the computer is probably Civilization IV.

My favorite strategy board game is probably Stratego.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Hey, Stratego is my favorite board game too.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

I don't play Stratego online usually.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

The 'real time' requirement really narrows this down, most strategy games are turn based.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Total War Medieval 2. It's the best RTS. The best one.

Tenouttaten Best Gabe FUCK everything else. FUCK. EVERYTHING. ELSE.

Unless you're okay with mishmashing genres, in which case Warband is the best RTS. Not because it's particularly good at being an RTS, but because it's an amazing game. Certainly the best RTS-RPG-CIV-TP/FPS-BRWL-SIM mishmash out there.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Total War Medieval 2. It's the best RTS. The best one.

Starcraft I and II?

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Starcraft is a pylon-constructing clusterfuck with boring lasers and generic aliens and really not enough good old-fashioned violent murder to truly simulate the joys of warfare. Real life strategies do not apply to starcraft, your position means basically nothing, you win if your numbers are bigger, and you're forced to move through a practical maze of choke points and obvious "PROTECT THIS SHIT HERE!" thingies placed around by the devs that you're pretty much just trying your best to muddle around a set series of goals in order to win the battle rather than employing your own unique strategies based on an army you've been building over the course of the game like a real leader would. 

Starcraft: A boring, samey-feeling SciShit game of mass Rock-Paper-Scissors where you struggle to get the best unit before the other guy does.

TWM2: An overcomplex Civ Sim where you kick ass and take names on dynamic battlefields whose tides can turn in an instant. True, this makes it unpredictable, and everyone online is infinitely better than me, but I would rather have my ass handed to me by a guy who pulled a really clever move and brutally killed all my guys with it than just overwhelmed by a bunch of aliens and/or mechsuit guys whose boring, Tolkienian lore I can't even be arsed to remember.

FUCK EVERYTHING ELSE.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

I like grand strategy games, tbh. I've been playing way too much Crusader Kings II and Victoria II lately. 

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

XCOM, XCOM 2, and (Most of) the Fire Emblem Franchise.

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Oh, and did I mention that the units in CoH can say funny shits in certain conditions? Dar qwotz are pricelezz...

"I told my mom that we got to see Tigers, Elephants, and Panthers... mama said that I was visiting the Moscow zoo."

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StopPokingMe

Some other "funny shits" in other games. Dratted Blizzard - "Giving people a reason to click on things repeatedly for ~20 years."

Favorite Strategy Game

7 years ago

Oh...

I heard most of it from Company of Heroes series though. That's because I play CoH for strategy games most of the time.