Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

I need help thinking of episodes in my newest storygame. Episodes are short adventures.

In the beginning, you pick a character. By default, you are a knight. If you've played five games successfully(as in getting to the end), you unlock a new character to play–the wizard. You continue playing episodes and unlocking new characters.

I have two episode ideas.

1.) The classic, save the princess! Her castle has been taken over by monsters, and the princess has been kidnapped! Battle the monsters, collect treasure, but most inportantly, save the princess!

2.) A jungle adventure. All the cute, furry little creatures have been turned into large, blood-thirsty beasts! Whoever turned these cute animals evil must be wanting someone out of the forest. Will you survive long enough to find out what they're trying to hide?

So, I need ideas for mini-adventures!

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago
Aren't you entering Kiel's contest? Shouldn't you be working on that instead of this?

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Yeah, but I just PMed asking if I could forget that idea since it would take too long. I also asked if I could try a different idea. But I can't work on that since I would need to add Kiel as co-author right away. :\

Anyway, any ideas?

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago
Why don't you just work on your contest entry for the next 3 weeks, see where you are, and then tie up any lose ends with reasonable cliffhangers so you can make your submission?

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Uh, but the story is three different stories in one. There's no way I could finish that, even with cliffhangers.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Just scale it back to something manageable? None of these are expected to be epics, and there's still plenty of time.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Okay, back on topic! Ideas!

(I will work on my contest entry, but when the contest is over, I'd still like to work on this)

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago
Idea #1 - Establish your own plot, don't ask other people to do all the ground work for you. The Writing Workshop is a place for specific advice, proofing, fine tuning, etc. Not broad sweeping questions like, hey guys what should I write?

Idea #2 - Focus on the contest project that you committed to, which has a time limit.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Again, I'm working on that. Sorry about the asking-for-ideas thing. I was just curious to see if anyone had ideas. Because technically it's not a plot, it's a bunch of mini-quests.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago
I strongly urge you to reconsider that. A plot is a necessity.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

I don't mean to be rude, if I am, say so and I will stop, but I do feel a tad defensive since this is a story I made, and I think adding a plot would defeat the purpose, in this case. Of course, that doesn't mean there's no plot, it just means it's smaller than most.

Again, don't mean to be rude, I just felt defensive, and when someone is put in a defensive situation, they tend to argue back.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Sounds like it's going to be more game-like than story based. Are their going to be skills or stats, or any kind of puzzley element to getting through the mini-quests?

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Stats like Strength, Agility, Intellect, etc. I'm thinking about adding certain elemental spells that the hero can use in battle.

The stats will, obviously, help them when fighting.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Do you know how to use scripting and variables?

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Uh, yeah. If I didn't I wouldn't be trying this, because, to be honest, it'd seem like too much of a challenge if I didn't know what I was doing. Don't worry, I've read lots of guides, and even looked through the Advanced Editor questions.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Good. Just making sure you weren't some noob who thinks the advanced editor will do anything they want it to do.

On the meantime, don't ask for your game's plots. I mean, how is it your game if you get the ideas from other people? Nothing is an original concept, but come on.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

I'm not asking for complete plots. Just ideas. A word to use would probably be prompts. In other words, not a plot for a story, just something as a base, that could be worked off of and wound into a plot,

Plot-

Monster is attacking random people. The hero finds the monster, attacks it, but fails. He trains harder and finally defeats the monster.

Prompt-

Hero discovers that a monster is attacking random people. The hero must stop him, if he is strong enough.

Although not much of a difference, there is one.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago
Look around and you'll see even the (good) stories that are more game focused than story focused have a plot to carry them onward. Unless it's a 100% game like the dice game.

But if you're doing mini-mission side quest things, you're going to have a grand uphill battle in making the reader give a darn about what's going on. If you don't have a plot, and you said you don't technically have a plot, you're just wandering around doing irrelevant, random drivel. Oh, I'll go make a PBJ sandwich. Ah, the sun is shining. Where did I leave my knitting needle?

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago
You haven't made anything yet.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

I unchecked the preview box.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago
You haven't published anything yet = it hasn't been made. At this point it's just a work in progress/idea.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Yeah, why would I publish it?

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

You encounter a bizarre town isolated from the rest of the kingdom. With a bit of investigation, you realize that they're actually a cult of devil worshippers, and plan to summon a demon on the full moon, which happens to be three days. The player must prevent this from happening, naturally... or not. 

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Thank you.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Ew.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Okay I'll give it a shot, just because this seems to have pissed Bucky off and that's awesome.

The character is investigating a series of attacks and reports of livestock being slaughtered in a region with several poor rural villages. They realize they're dealing with a classic werewolf scenario, but complications arise when it turns out to be the son of the ruling lord, who's protecting him. There ought to be a few ways to resolve the situation, and stabbing your way into a powerful noble's home and murdering his son wouldn't necessarily be the smartest one.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

4 d4rk m463 h45 pr0(/41m3d 70 th3 3nt1r3 k1n6d0m 7h47 h3 w1// br1n6 1n 73rr0r5 fr0m 4n07h3r r34lm 1f h3 15n'7 p41d. y0u 1nf1/7r8 7h3 m463'5 l41r, 4nd 4r3 4((1d3n74//y 53n7 70 0ur w0r/d. y0u 7h3n d3f347 7h3 m4g3 4nd f0r(3 h1m 70 53nd b07h 0f y0u b4ck.

:)

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Does this read:

A dark mage has proclaimed to the kingdom thay he will bring in terrors from another realm if he isn't paid. You infiltrate the mage's lair and are accidentally sent to out world. You then defeat the mage, and force him to send both of you back.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

*0ur w0r/d

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Here are my suggestions:

1) A rescue mission -- a recon squad have been captured by the enemy. They managed to snatch the enemy's "interesting things", so you must save them and get the "interesting things". You can't let them get their secret documents, blueprints, cool toys, are whatever they are back.

2) A snatch and grab -- bust into the enemy territory, get the target, and get out. There are various approaches.

3) A skirmish between soldiers of your faction with the enemies. Help your soldiers gain victory.

4) Testing out a prototype. New type of magic, or maybe a new form of weapon.

5) A visit to the lower-class citizens. See how they live, observe, or maybe make friends... or even find an 'interesting' person there? Also, love and relationships can be found anywhere... it doesn't have to always having a crush with a prince/princess.

Adventure Ideas?

7 years ago

Hang on, are episodes supposed to be like Side Quests to the actual plot, or is the whole game episodes?