Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 6/20/2016: . . .?

Item Replacement?

7 years ago

I'm working on a story where you can go back to the beginning when you die and variables will track where you've been before, so that if you lose the first time, the second time you might get a hint, or the dialogue will change- Kind of like in Undertale, where Flowey will track what you did before. The only problem is that I can't make the items go back to where they were without having like 5 duplicate items and variables to track them and all that- To that that for every single page with an item would take a while. So... Would it be possible to have an option to make an item go back to where you originally got it from? Say, if you earn a gun on page XXY, and then later someone takes the gun and sends you back to before you got it, then the gun will go back to page XXY, and the amount of times you can use it will reset if it can only be used a limited amount of times. I'm not the best at coding, so I don't know if this would be hard to create, but resetting items would fix about 100% of the glitches in my story... Okay, 90%, I'll probably find some mistake I overlooked after I post it anyway, but still, it would help xD

Item Replacement?

7 years ago

This would be nice but too hard to implement. What I do in my stories is make multiple items of a similar name with identical pictures, and put those items in place of the area where you last found it and have it serve the same purpose, but this only works if, when you go back to the start, you play through an identical version of the game that's in a different Chapter. I did this in Foreign Entity and it's a huge pain.

Item Replacement?

7 years ago

I'm considering just leaving the items in the inventory with a little note that says 'Sorry for the glitches, I was on a deadline' xD Maybe one day... Oh well. I might actually go with the different chapter idea... That might work. Thanks *sigh*

Item Replacement?

7 years ago
Items should always be found again on whatever page they started on after they're dropped, so I'm confused as to what you mean.

Item Replacement?

7 years ago

I'm not sure. I might have been doing something wrong- I'll test that. Maybe I wasn't coding it correctly..

Item Replacement?

7 years ago
When the game "restarts", what are you doing to drop the items they had before?

Item Replacement?

7 years ago

I'll stop talking now, I think I'm making a fool of myself- I edited a bit, played it through, and it's fixed xD