Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

Loose vs lose

Loose - This shirt is loose on me. I need a smaller size.

Lose - I don't like to lose; I love to win.

I'm from Louisiana, so this next one is constant.

You

You - Can be singular or plural. There is no need to say "y'all" or "you guys" to include multiple people in a statement. The worst is when people say, "I was looking at you guys' stuff."

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

The Loose/Lose thing is something I never used to see before the internet and it’s unfortunately getting more common.

Definitely one of the few grammar things that will actually cause me to shake my head whenever I see it.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago
The biggest grammar mess up for most people is using the correct (your you're). Literally, I remember in 8th grade 100% of the people wrote (your) when they're suppose to use (you're) when writing end of the year letters to everyone else.

your the man, have nice break
your kool
your the blah blah

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

Very true. I do think this issue has gotten slightly better with the current prevalence of memes focused on it.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago
What really irks me is how so many aspiring writers don't know the difference between then and than.  Maybe they still haven't reached the third grade, though, so I just have to hold it in and pop antacids.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago
"Y'all" is a dialect and "you guys" is a common spoken phrase. So in dialogue, or with a fitting first person voice, there is nothing grammatically incorrect with them. I've never heard anyone say your example before. But I also try not to hang around people that eat paste.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

Screw you, I'm a southerner. I'll say "y'all" if I want to, there's nothing wrong with it.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago
and it'nt'it and wha'nt'it and would'nt've...y'all

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

Or "you guys." XD

@Bucky  "you guys's stuff" is totally fine where I live. 

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago
Ah, but you're from the land up north. Buckeyes expect as much.

But fair enough. Anything that is a dialect can be grammatically correct in the right context. That doesn't mean I'll ever read a novel written entirely in Ebonics or something though. The language can only be butchered so much before I start to cry.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

As a fellow southerner, I'm all for that charm, y'all. It's when it's constant that it bugs me. In Louisiana, nearly every other word is y'all.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

That's ya'll quite ya'll an infringement ya'll on ya'll my ya'll free-ya'll-dom ya'll of ya'll speech ya'll.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

This reminds me of the chicken hawk thing!

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

hear / here

their / there / they're

Run-ons after third grade are a sin, unless you're writing poetry.

Overused sentence structures.

"Not only" but forgets to add "but also"

like or as/as

Chaining prepositions like there's no tomorrow.

Participles in general.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

The Oxford comma.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

Hey, Mason, you've probably already seen this, because it's old, but I'll ask anyway. Have you seen that meme about commas saving lives? The Oxford comma is important.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

This is about the only pet peeve I have for grammar, because it is acceptable to not have it.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

P.S, a few of you will get the joke.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

*chuckle*

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago
You're post is all too true. People are loosing touch with there grammar.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

Hahaaa.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago
It happens way to much. It especially effects how they look on this site.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago
^ ...and this one, too.  Being a southerner, myself, I don't read "to" as "too" ... so it really messes with my brain whenever they are misused.

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

7.62 or .44?

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

Missed an opportunity to use "two" in place of "too."

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

I'm from Texas so I can say y'all whenever I want!

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

There's far too many Texans on this site. 

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

;-;

Grammar Pet Peeves

7 years ago

I remember when they were trying to teach Ebonics as a legitimate foreign language class. (Not sure if they’re still doing that)

Some folks took it thinking it was going to be an easy A, but apparently they attached a bunch of weird rules to it, making it more difficult than people expected.