Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

CYOA Books

7 years ago

Going to put this here. If the mods think it should go somewhere else, so be it.

So, can I copy a CYOA book onto here? I'll give the other full credit, and copyright laws. 

CYOA Books

7 years ago

... As a forum game? Hm. I think I've seen this done before, actually. It worked out fine.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

I see this done often on other forums, art included, as an LP with posters voting on choices.

But I hope you don't mean posting it to the main page.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

xD Why reply to me? And it's in the parlor room, (plus it would qualify as a forum game) why do you think it would be on the main page? O_o

CYOA Books

7 years ago

It's called phone posting while other things are going on and not really paying attention :P

Anyway, Mason, if you're taking recommendations the Joe Dever books are fun for this. Stuff like the Lone Wolf series, they're great classic adventures, and iirc, as a bonus you can almost base a drinking game off the number of times enemies are described as 'swarthy'.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

:P Hey, I couldn't have known that. I don't have cameras on all of  you people.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

Huh, I never noticed the swarthy description for the enemies. The only ones that ever stood out to me were the undead Helghasts.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

As a storygame. Somebody already published one.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

Who?

CYOA Books

7 years ago

I remember one guy was asking for a storygame in a thread, and somebody responded with a link. The game was a copied published CYOA book.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

Um... okay, if I knew what storygame you were talking about, and I could confirm that it was not a fanfiction or a forum game, but a copied CYOA book from another author that they plagarized, it would be removed. So. No. Don't do that. 

CYOA Books

7 years ago

Okay. First, I thought of a forum game. Then I thought about storygame.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

... isn't that plagiarism?

CYOA Books

7 years ago
If you're talking about publishing a "book" that is not your own, you might want to get the author's/publisher's permission, too, so that you don't take money out of their pocket and don't cause any problems for this site.  Of course, that would be viewed as plagiarism, so...

CYOA Books

7 years ago

(*cough* Sorry for dragging you here, Berka, guess it's resolved.)

CYOA Books

7 years ago

Easy answer - Absolutely Not!

You cannot publish it verbatim as a story on CYS (unless it is already in public domain). Even copying the choice tree while changing the names would still be plagiarism and a no no.

You can probably do so in Forum Games however, as you are technically playing it with a group and recording your results.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

That's what I thought at first. 

After that, I remembered some guy who did.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

I have deleted at least three Stories from CYS due to plagiarism since becoming a mod.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

Wow. Good catches.

CYOA Books

7 years ago

Curse you Kiel, haha!

CYOA Books

7 years ago

Sorry, just misunderstood him at first. My other reason is still valid, though...! >_>'