Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Need some help with my story

7 years ago

Here's the deal, I've been working on this story for about 5 or 6 years now. I have most of the events laid out, the plot, the characters and basically I nearly have everything I need. However the problem here is I don't have every event, 

Let me fill you guys and girls in so you can help me out... In this world I've created, one percent of the population have what I call 'gifts', gifts are super human abilities that need to be unlocked through a certain action or emotional level. (Extremely happy, sad,  etc.) The antagonist of the story (Ace) has an ability that doesn't need to be unlocked, which are assistant (a voice in ones head that can enhance ones senses, tell you what happened while you were sleeping and wake you up immediately if you're in danger. It can do a few other things but that will be discussed later) and gifted sight (allows the user to see who has gifts and how to unlock them though auras, the colors of auras are red, blue, gray, purple and gold. Reds are selfish, blues are selfless, grays stay the same after activation, purples destroy the world and golds save it.) One day Ace finds the protagonist and sees his gifts and how to unlock them. The protagonist gifts are toughness, (this makes the users body very adaptable, and make them denser or more flexible or etc. allowing them to take more pressure and damage but only to a limit, can be upgraded to a limit without taking lives, or can be upgraded to its maximum by killing others.)  and time dilation. (Whenever adrenaline runs through the users body, it makes the heart beat and record breaking speeds, slowing down the point of view of the user and increasing his speed to be faster than bullets. This can be upgraded to a limit without taking lives, or can be upgraded to its maximum by killing others.) and that the only way to unlock it is through loss of his family. Forcing himself to make a choice, Ace does just that, and activates the gifts. The protagonist makes some new friends, changes his name to Duke, becomes a vigilante and hunts Ace down. 

With this being said I have a couple things to ask.

Give me some problems that we can have this protagonist face, whether they be regular everyday problems, or problems on the battlefield (since it will be an action game) anything you can think of.

Give me some happy things, like going to a beach or amusement park, something that brings joy.

In basic, give me some scenarios to work with please. Also last thing.

If someone killed of your family, but you got powers because of it, would you hunt the person down or no?

If yes, what would you do with him, and if not, why?

Thanks for the support (assuming you give me some)

Lightstar100

7 years ago

I'd clearly hunt the fucker down.

That said, the rest of your post is asking for the sort of help that isn't very fun to provide. It seems like these are basic plot elements that  you'll have no problem arriving at on your own. If you want happy things, search your own memories or do some google searches. You want the problems that your protagonist faces to actively move the plot along each time, so you don't want to be taking them from us, here. Plan a story arc and the problems will come naturally.

7 years ago

Thanks man, I'll go work on it for a bit

7 years ago

I feel like I just read a pitch for an anime.

7 years ago

Can't tell if that's a good thing, or a really REALLY bad thing. 

7 years ago

it's

both.

Anime tends to have really, really creative settings and have inspired a lot of writers. On the other hand, anime doesn't translate onto paper very well.

So, the setting is anime and that's a good thing. I haven't seen your writing, so I don't know whether the writing is anime-y (which is bad) or if the writing is not (which is good).

7 years ago

Thanks, I've been working on this for years. Honestly this site for me is kinda just a test. I'm trying to bring my idea here and get feedback so I know how to improve and know how good the story is before I try going public. It's going to be VERY hard to make all the different possible endings and choices on here than it would be to write a book with a true ending and nothing else but I like a good challenge. Hope you guys and girls don't mind.

7 years ago

you could pull an endmaster

y'know, make various endings with varying degrees of good/bad outcomes, but one 'true' path that leads to a 'true' ending which you consider to be the canonical ending.

That's what I'm doing for my stories.

7 years ago

That's fine.

My best advice would be to stop worrying about the story details entirely and focus on your writing. You can clean it up a lot! That will make the biggest difference in the end.

7 years ago

Thank you both for the support and feedback, for this I'll give you a little hint for the story. In this story, every choice matters, no matter how small it may be thought to be. (Or at least that's how I plan it to be) to go bare handed may suit you better than using a gun in some situations, and Vice versa. Every choice you make may lead you to a different ending, and there will be four MAIN/TRUE endings. if you guys wanna ask me anything feel free.

7 years ago

I think I wouldn't hunt the person down (because of my family issues) but I could see any normal, happy person hunting them down to avenge their family, and I think it's quite an interesting concept, and it'd be really neat to see the main character have an inner struggle of whether or not to use his powers (as they exist because of his family members' death) in scenarios where people close to the main character are in danger. 

Some happy things would be having comrades to help you through this inner struggle, and an interesting scenario would be if your comrades started out as people who hated and distrusted people with gifts, as they basically saw themselves as above everybody else and they're known to kill people they're attached to.

If you want scenarios you can think of how the general public would see people with gifts, how other people with gifts would see people with gifts. Would people with gifts be accepted into society? What does the government do about people with gifts since they're technically a treat to the public? Would mentally unstable individuals (like people with mania, who get ecstatic very easily) have stronger gifts? What do people use their gifts for? ( I think the last point is especially important, as it must be something important enough to kill loved ones over ) but yeah, just some things you can add to the story if you want! sorry if you stated it in your story paragraph but why does ace kill Duke's family? Does he see something in Duke?