Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Englishman in Need

7 years ago

So my preferred language is English (UK), but whenever I use the editor it keeps trying to correct me to American English. While this isn't a massive issue, I don't like being told I'm wrong, so the red lines grate on my soul.

Is there a way to switch languages? Is it my browser or the editor? I'm sure I've just missed something really quite obvious, but thought I'd toss it into Newbie Central just to see if someone had the answer.

Englishman in Need

7 years ago

Try this: go up to the top of the text box, where it's got all the options for bold, italic, etc.  Find the abc dropdown and disable SCAYT.

Englishman in Need

7 years ago

Okay, here's a mega stupid question; is Canadian English the same as UK?

Englishman in Need

7 years ago
I don't think Brits say "eh?" nearly as much... ;)

Englishman in Need

7 years ago

Yeah, they’re always spelling words with an extra “u” and insisting on pronouncing “z” as “zed.”

Englishman in Need

7 years ago

Ay! That's bloody wrong! On my honour, Brits spell things the exact bloody same and use the exact same bloody words. My face is coloured red because of this post.

Englishman in Need

7 years ago

As an Aussie I can tell you that you'll get used to the red lines after a while (;;)

Englishman in Need

7 years ago

ABC button above the writing box, language, then Candian English. No more red lines for us what spell proper ;)