Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Uncertainty

7 years ago

Today I wrote for seven hours straight. I don't know where it came from. I didn't even eat today. Seems like I was in some kind of trance. I have wanted to upload a story game for months after I found this site, but I have been plagued by writer's block for a long time. Then last night I had this dream. I have a lot of dreams-but for some reason, this one inspired me. I always 'meet' people in my dreams. There will be a great deal of dialogue between these people and I. We go through all sorts of adventures. I grow fond of them. I know they are not real, just some aspect of my subconscious mind, but I awake feeling sad about their non-existence. Anyway, I wrote something based on my dream and I don't know about uploading it. It's pretty messed up, but I didn't write it (or dream it) for the sake of it being messed up...kind of why I hate horror films, they concentrate on the gore and not the story. In my story's case, the gore is essential to the character ('you', second person) development. I made this into a choice based story because I had choices in my dream. Well, I'm not sure if anyone will ever read this post-but it would be cool to get some feedback on whether or not I should post it, or if anyone knows anything about how much is 'too' much, you know? (Why did I say YOU? Who are YOU? haha) well I read somewhere on here that if you have to ask, then it is, indeed too much. But I've been told my stories are too much all my life. Since I began writing and as it developed. I don't know, just interested in what other people think.

Uncertainty

7 years ago

This is certainly a nice wall of text. :p

Uncertainty

7 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't realize how ugly it would be until after I posted it lol

Uncertainty

7 years ago
I think you should do that whole "write for 7 hours" thing more often.

Uncertainty

7 years ago

Idk what happened, I was possessed or something 

Uncertainty

7 years ago

The Other World is in one of the top rated games, and it seems to be quite similar a situation as you have, tone wise. There is quite a bit of gore - within some of the first pages, there's infanticide, the burning and slaughter of an entire town in almost too graphic detail while you make several decisions during it that could lead to someone getting brutally murdered in front of you... But, the way it was written, it has a tragic sense to it. Loneliness. Being the only one left. Horrifying in the sense that you can't believe it, but not in the way where you're about to jump out of your chair at a squeak in the floor or the door opening behind you. But despite all that, the character moves on, makes friends, and goes on a quest to end all the horror once and for all. The gore in the beginning is to set a somber mood, so to /not/ go on a quest of some sort would be seen as heartless, where usually quests are viewed as over dramatic. And throughout it, there's still more heart wrenching scenes. Like holding a girl singing a soft lullaby as she bleeds out in your arms and passes on. It keeps that somber tone in check, to make sure you don't get your hopes up too high before the end. Even with all that, it's not the main focus of the story. The adventure is.

TL:DR - Don't worry about writing too much. If you think it is so, add a 7/8 maturity rating and a warning in the description and you're good.

Uncertainty

7 years ago

Thank you so much for your response-I'll definitely check that out and get back to you! :D 

Uncertainty

7 years ago
7 hours straight? No eating? Meeting weird dream people? Possessed?
The fuck you smoking?

I'm also writing a story based off a dream I had too! This dream is probably about 3 months old and its grown into its own beautiful, messed up thing. Gory? Not so much. I wish that I could have that sudden burst of energy you had because I really want to get it finished! Anyways, well done! I like your dedication but please try to balance time out with your social life and your time on this site.

Uncertainty

7 years ago

I don't even know. Weirdest writing experience of my life. That dream held me hostage until almost 5 pm. I woke up not believing my clock. By the time I was done writing and I saw the time, again I didn't believe it. 1 am. I feel like two days passed and I don't know where it went. I wish I had the excuse of saying I was smoking something. I'm really creeped out :/ but also kind of glad, I haven't been able to write in a long time. I'm in a transition right now so my social life is basically non existent haha

Uncertainty

7 years ago
You should post it owo
Most of End's stuff is very disturbing anyways and people love his stuff xD

It really doesn't depend on the gore and stuff, but on how well written it is

Not sure I understood anything correctly as I'm running on like, 2 hours of sleep. Pssh. Who needs sleep anyways?

^-^

Uncertainty

7 years ago

Everyone uncertainly does

Uncertainty

7 years ago

It still needs to be edited and a lot needs to be cut, and I might draw some things for it as well, not sure yet. Either way it needs a lot of work haha. Thank you for your reply xD

Uncertainty

7 years ago

If you have trouble writing, I always force myself to write at least one page (of anything) a day - if it's a story, I always leave that session with something to go off of next time so I wont be stuck with a blank page and no leads ^-^

Uncertainty

7 years ago

that's a good idea! I think I'll start using this method if you don't mind xD I don't know why I have never considered stopping at a point to give myself something to go off of later. I haven't had too much support on the subject, though no one has ever read my stuff before haha

Uncertainty

7 years ago

No problem, go ahead! Glad I could help you :D I, too, have trouble writing ideas out.

Uncertainty

7 years ago

:) So you play league too eh? xD

Uncertainty

7 years ago

Yeppp ^-^ Even though I started in 2013 I'm still not level 30...

Uncertainty

7 years ago

I'm not 30 either, I lost access to my old account and left for a while, just recently came back to it 

Uncertainty

7 years ago

Ooh I see

Uncertainty

7 years ago

I would admire you for your dedication, but it seems like that wasn't under your control anyways. It seems like you experienced a lucid dream from what you're telling us (dreaming until 5pm, meeting people and remembering the dialogue, and making choices). If you're very happy with what you've written, I recommend trying to lucid dream more. Of course, make sure you eat enough and maintain your body because you have better dreams when your body is healthy I assume. Salvador Dali used to purposefully lucid dream to create his artworks, so I would recommend you go for it!

I would try lucid dreaming, but most of the time I'm way too tired so I don't think I've dreamed for a while (well, I probably have according to science, but I haven't remembered myself dreaming for a while now) + the only time I can recall myself having a lucid dream, I had been kidnapped by an old woman who would not let me out of her basement (like a Rapunzel story). She was really nice to me, but as soon as I realised I was dreaming, and thus was able to control my dream, the only option that seemed available to me for escape was to kill her. So... maybe I'll try lucid dreaming another day.

As for the story being too gory, other people have already addressed that ^_^

Uncertainty

7 years ago

I don't know about the old lady rapunzel thing...but if you'd like to know about my lucid dreams, I have never met someone in my entire life who dreams like I do-where it feels like I leave my body, entering a second extension of myself, if that makes sense. I live for these experiences. I've had them since I was 12. Flying is the best type, I'd say. Or controlling time. Most recently, I've experimented with mirrors. Weirdest thing ever. Anyway this wasn't a lucid dream. it was a 'story' dream. One that tells a tale lived in the perspective of someone else, someone not real, I've had a few of them. The mind is so weird don't you think? XD

Uncertainty

7 years ago

I guess I could have willed the basement away or something if really was lucid dreaming, but I hadn't yet learnt of the term so I guess I didn't realise. But it really sounds amazing and I wish I could do it, but I might belong to that section of the population that can't. I've read about being able to fly and control time and do all sorts of things in your dreams so yes, it really is amazing. 

Uncertainty

7 years ago

I think everyone can with practice, for me I held onto my dreams since I could remember, it's basically all I had in my childhood to look forward to lol

Uncertainty

7 years ago

Writer's block is a fiction espoused by those who become morally or ethically nauseated.

Uncertainty

7 years ago

TIL I'm morally and ethically nauseated.