Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Is there a name for this?

7 years ago

So, i was watching my favourite show on Youtube, Citation Needed. Which is a quiz show of sorts using Wikipedia articles. You guess the contents of the article, you get a point. You have the most points, you win. Now, in the show there's an interesting type of prize, which is not really a prize but a ... sentence. For example:

You win a gift voucher to everyone's favourite communist shop - Which is of course Marx & Spencer

You win two hours racing around the coast desperately trying to collect clams with a ballerina - Darcey Bussell's Muscle hustle

You win a DVD of the film where the singer of purple rain trades places with a peasant who looks just like him - The artist formally known as prince and the pauper

You win permission to dress up as a famous frog and go hide in a cave - a hermit kermit permit

You win an intimate waxing by a legendary 6-time grammy winning american composer - Burt Bacharach Back, Crack, and Sack

If you want more examples: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pv8xtrHYKDTvKr9uqQQYoAmxfHDV6rEwIL9PZu3c8GA/edit#gid=0

Now, what i want to know is, is there a name for all of these things? A single, existing and specific cathegory in which we can store all of these sentences? 

7 years ago

A pun? A play on words? Bad jokes?

7 years ago

I guess a play on words is probably the closest thing, although some are just reciting words that just sound similar, and some i think  would fall more on the bad joke cathegory. What about the structure? Isn't there a name for jokes structured like that? I say this because i recall someone calling it a name somewhere, and after searching for a long time i really can't find it.

7 years ago
terrible puns?

7 years ago

Bad jokes?

7 years ago

Word play.

7 years ago

There's a radio show on NPR called 'Says You', with a segment where they combine book and movie titles based on common words and sounds. I guess they'd generally be considered puns or wordplays. Maybe really stretching the meaning of portmanteau, I dunno. Never found an official term.