Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

i am new here, i would like some help on how to make a good story. Thank you!

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

I'm new too! So, I probably can't give you any advice, but I am here to welcome you!

It really is an awesome community!

Welcome!

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

Thanks! I wish you luck in this community! Have fun!

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

Hi, I suggest that you persevere. I know it's cliché, but most people don't make good story games (or don't finish at all) because of laziness. On the other hand, welcome to CYStia!

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

Thanks lancelot! I'm currently making a escape a catsle game, please check it out when i'm done. Ive done a lot of typing on it, and it honestly hurts my fingers. But i will stick at it! Thank you!

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

Hi Jerry,

I'd recommend reading some of the top rated stories here, and having a look through some of the articles on writing. I really can't overstate how important spelling, grammar, punctuation and all that are for giving a good first impression of your story. https://www.grammarly.com/handbook/ is an excellent resource and I'd recommend giving it a browse and brushing up on some things.  

Not too hard, simple storygame.
This is my first game, so please don't judge if its to bad.

You've got two mistakes right here in your description, for instance, besides it not telling anything about the story itself and making readers go into it expecting it to be bad. That makes people wonder why it was published in the first place, if it's something you're practically apologizing for and don't seem to be happy with or proud of.

All these are common newbie mistakes, so just pointing them out to help you avoid them. Personally I'd recommend just using that game to practive and familiarize yourself with the editor, and then not publishing it. When you're more comfortable writing, you might try writing out a more detailed plot and going from there. (Who your characters will be, what conflicts they'll face and why, the different paths the player can take to overcome them, and so on.) Basically just try and come up with something you'd enjoy reading yourself if you were to pick up a book.

It helps if you've written some regular stories in the past, but either way, don't expect to finish a story that's in any shape to post over a weekend. A good CYOA can take weeks or months. In the meantime, feel free to post samples of your work in the writing workshop if you need more detailed advice or feedback.

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

Thank you, i really appreciate the advice. Don't worry. Once the the game is finished, i'll change the disciption. thank you for welcoming me :)

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

Welcome to the site! 

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

Hi Jerry, welcome to the site and if you want to make a good story read the Help and Info Section and Featured stories in the genres you are interested in, ask for people to proofread your pieces in the writer's workshop and just generally ask more experienced site members for help :) Enjoy your stay here.

Hey! I'm new here!

7 years ago

Welcome!

I'd recommend you don't use Y/N and just give the person a name, also to find a editor to help you with any *grammatical errors in your story before publishing.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your time here, and good luck with your story!