Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

National Novel Writing Month (Nov)

7 years ago

Anyone else likely to use this as an excuse for their game book writing? Technically I'm cheating slightly (and in fact have no idea whether Episode 1 of my Spidey game will end up at 50,000 words or not) by doing it over October and November, but I figure it gives me a bit of a drive if I can aim to have things done for the start of Dec (where I can hopefully use that to get stuff uploaded, changed over for other sites and planning for Episode 2).

7 years ago

Nope.

7 years ago

I don't believe in the Write Now, Edit Later principal that things like NaNoWriMo and Nation Novel Writing Month encourage, so I won't be contributing.

7 years ago

Really, why's that?

7 years ago

Editing's for nerds, Ax.

7 years ago

Because she's a Basher.

7 years ago

Just doesn't work for me.

7 years ago

I think the pace of NaNo is too fast, and they take the "write first, edit later" thing too far, but drafting is a really important part of the writing process. It's also something that has to be learned. I'd strongly encourage you to try practicing it more for serious stories. Usually your first approach will need refinement, but if you put a lot of work into the current version, you won't be willing to change it. It's also a lot easier to write a good story with nice prose if you don't try to do them both at the same time.

7 years ago

Maybe that works for you, but it doesn't for me. I don't pressure people into not making a draft, so why are you trying to pressure me into making one?

7 years ago

I see. Well, good luck.

7 years ago

Hahaha. That's funny.

7 years ago

Hmm. Well you did make a storygame that was basically done on a whim as you also simultaneously worked on another project for the latest contest. Surprisingly, it was good enough to be considered seriously as a replacement for a featured story, most can hardly boast about something like that in their first month here. Maybe you're just one of those 'special' kind of writers, but that remains to be seen :)

You still have Briar's trophy though... Even if it's something she probably doesn't care for at the moment for obvious reasons. But I suppose you were just taking it from Bluefur at that point.

7 years ago

Yes Ax, quit being such a bully, wow. Charaxes is one of those 14 year old girls who just knows things, she doesn't need anyone's advice so back off, okay? 

Hell, what's next, telling people spelling and grammar is important? You're almost as bad as those assholes who got all those poor WC kids driven off the site. 

7 years ago

You're taking my words way out of context.

There are plenty of people who dislike the quantity over quality approach. For most people, writing something half-baked but salvageable in a short amount of time works for them. For me, it doesn't. It discourages me from writing because it turns my writing into something incoherent. I am incredibly harsh on myself so I hold the quality of my writing compared to the quantity of my writing to very high esteem.

I'm not saying you should try to publish your first draft. You should definitely edit. I'm just saying that I'd prefer to take a year to write something of high quality and another year to edit it than to take a few months to write something of low quality and a year to edit it.

I don't understand how anytime I voice an opinion, people derail the thread by trying to invalidate my opinion. It's a preference. I'm not forcing people into following it, I was just responding to the OP.

7 years ago

Stop telling me how I'm taking your words!!! Why are you such a bully???????

7 years ago

frown

7 years ago

Can we make it one day without derailing something? 

7 years ago

Well done, you've made a complaint about how conversations evolve, the very basics of dialogue. Well done.

7 years ago

Yes, because what was about to 'evolve' was actually going devolve into a mess that End would have to clean up after like a caretaker :P

7 years ago

I know right? This thread was perfectly fine until Axiom jumped in out of nowhere and just started attacking that poor kid for no reason.

And then I didn't understand why Charaxes posted a little face at me when I didn't post one at her.

But I guess she must still be feeling pressured and afraid after Axiom typed words at her and is just blindly lashing out. I know I should try to be understanding, but it's so hard. That little yellow face  was so shocking and uncalled for, I'm literally shaking right now.

And I think I mentioned this before but I'll be attempting NaNo with a massively expanded version of that short story I wrote for Bucky's thing. When I made the outline my notes included a lot of events that happened before and after and more details on the minor characters, and really it never worked as a short story anyhow, even the expanded version I wrote after. 

November still continues to be an awful, awful month for something like this though and I resent whoever thought of it.

7 years ago

To put in Steve's opinion, editing's for nerds, Axiom sucks 'cause she's a bully.

7 years ago

You can absolutely write however you want, but sounding offended when people try to help you is kind of weird and off-putting. It's fine if my advice was unwelcome, but you could have conveyed that in a better way.

7 years ago

Yes, thank you. In case it needed to be explained (and on this site, probably so) the knee-jerk defensiveness of her response to yours was weird and hilarious and begged for a response of its own.

I don't expect professional level work from anyone here anyway so I don't really care if they outline and draft.

7 years ago

I feel like I found someone slicing an apple with the knife aimed at their hand, and I said "hey have you considered using a cutting board, they have all these great advantages like keeping your hand attached to your body," and they fired back with "maybe cutting boards work for you, but I can't use them so they suck, lots of people cut apples this way, stop pressuring me!!" I mean, it's cool if you like the taste of blood on your fruit, but was that response really called for?

7 years ago

Sadly, you'll have to get used to it here. Intellect doesn't work on them.

7 years ago

Yes... "them".

7 years ago

Such a natural and human-like response. Axiom, omg, did she break you?

I will not rest until I avenge the bruises inflicted on your robot soul. 

7 years ago

I had high hopes for this one. They always say stupid shit, in the end. 

7 years ago

Eh, I detect no major change. She started her career tearfully demanding to know why Steve was being so mean to her when he...really, really wasn't, let's not forget.  I still rate her 'above average for a CYStian'. It's just, that's such a low, low bar, it isn't any kind of guarantee of consistent quality in posters any more than it is in stories. 

7 years ago

Ah, I was just about to make another NaNoWriMo thread. Yes, I'll be participating this year. I'm frantically trying to get the sequel to my visual novel planned out in time, although I'm estimating the whole thing will be closer to 100k than 50k, so I'll probably only write the first half.

7 years ago

I'm participating.

7 years ago

I don't think I'm going to participate.

7 years ago

What...in the world has happened to this thread while I was gone? ;-;

7 years ago

I tried to stop it, but I was too late.. In the end it doesn't even matter.

*let's the edge consume me* 

7 years ago

Meh. Linkin Park isnt edgy enough.

7 years ago
Is this edgy enough? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

7 years ago

Never gonna give you up :P

7 years ago