Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

My story again

7 years ago

A long time ago, I asked people to help me with my story, the three main problems were the main characters name, special events in the story and the title name. Believe I have solved these problems but a new one arises. I don't know if I should make the story start at his early childhood (age 4) or later (age 7) at age four Liam is still with his father (who is an alcoholic) and seven is the aftermath of this. Four will give you more detail but will take longer to make, as where seven will give you enough detail to understand it and will be out sooner. Also here is some info about the story from the first post.

Let me fill you guys and girls in so you can help me out... In this world I've created, one percent of the population have what I call 'gifts', gifts are super human abilities that need to be unlocked through a certain action or emotional level. (Extremely happy, sad,  etc.) The antagonist of the story (Ace) has an ability that doesn't need to be unlocked, which are assistant (a voice in ones head that can enhance ones senses, tell you what happened while you were sleeping and wake you up immediately if you're in danger. It can do a few other things but that will be discussed later) and gifted sight (allows the user to see who has gifts and how to unlock them though auras, the colors of auras are red, blue, gray, purple and gold. Reds are selfish, blues are selfless, grays stay the same after activation, purples destroy the world and golds save it.) One day Ace finds the protagonist and sees his gifts and how to unlock them. The protagonist gifts are toughness, (this makes the users body very adaptable, and make them denser or more flexible or etc. allowing them to take more pressure and damage but only to a limit, can be upgraded to a limit without taking lives, or can be upgraded to its maximum by killing others.)  and time dilation. (Whenever adrenaline runs through the users body, it makes the heart beat and record breaking speeds, slowing down the point of view of the user and increasing his speed to be faster than bullets. This can be upgraded to a limit without taking lives, or can be upgraded to its maximum by killing others.) and that the only way to unlock it is through loss of his family. Forcing himself to make a choice, Ace does just that, and activates the gifts. The protagonist makes some new friends, changes his name to Duke, becomes a vigilante and hunts Ace down. Also I have a question for you

If someone killed of your family, but you got powers because of it, would you hunt the person down or no?

Why or why not, and what would you do if you found him?

My story again

7 years ago

How does Ace get the gifts by murdering the protagonist's family? He gets their auras or something?

Well... if I found out the person who has killed my family, I will definitely kill him, if I were Liam.

But no offense, the plot seems a bit... cliche.

My story again

7 years ago

The part at the bottom was from an old post so it may be a little confusing, The way it works is like this. Most gift users have to feel an emotion to an extreme to have the gift unlocked. But some have them unlocked over time. Ace is an example of this, Ace had his unlocked over time. Duke had to have his gifts unlocked normally, my emotion, which in this case was extreme sadness and anger through extreme loss. Ace kills off the family of Duke so Duke's gifts will be unlocked and certain events can take place. (they are spoilers so I'm not gonna say) Ace sees if people have gifts through the auras surrounding the persons body, he then sees how to unlock them and what they do.

My story again

7 years ago

The process seems a bit confusing though.

So this is modern with fantasy, Sci fi fantasy, or fantasy?

My story again

7 years ago

This is modern day fantasy, What part of it is confusing?

My story again

7 years ago

Gifts and how one steals other gifts.

I imagine this being a sort of universe with X-men-like mutants but different powers and a bit more fantasy.

My story again

7 years ago

You can't steal some ones gift, once it's active it can not be deactivated or taken, Also, yes kind of like X-men but different. There will only be a few characters with gifts in this story, and the way you act will change the way others people react, you can kill your targets, causing them to fear you, or spare them and leave them for police, causing people to embrace you. There are also other ways of doing it but I'll save it for now. Where did you get the idea of stealing gifts?

My story again

7 years ago

What's your plan for getting all this info across in the story itself?

My story again

7 years ago

if I start at the age of four, it'd be to go by it, day by day so you get all the info. However if i start at the age of seven, it'd be the same thing but every once and a while you'd get hints on Dukes past, like flashbacks. Hope that helps