Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Stranger Things

7 years ago

So I finally got around to watching and man is it good, although I do think it might be just a tad bit overrated.

A lot of people make it out to be over reliant on 80's nostalgia, but it's more 80's movie nostalgia, but it never comes across as banking on that. It's this giant bowl of different influences from John Carpenter to Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead to Stand By Me, and there's even a little bit of Under The Skin there with how the psychic space was filmed (although that one could be a coincidence). Most prominently, though, it feels like the lovechild of Stephen King and Spielberg. The former, especially, and almost too much with some of his typical tropes: like the frighteningly as*hole bullies that come across as just borderline psychopathic to an extent that they no longer come across as real, anymore (which is probably the only flaw, IMO).

Despite that, though, it does just as much in regards to subverting tropes: like the as*hole boyfriend turns out to not be an as*hole at all and actually ends up helping out to fight the monster, or the character that never believes that there's anything supernatural going on and ends up being useless actually is the one to help out Winona Ryder's character the most by the end of the series.

The acting is pretty good across the board, although, Millie Brown as Eleven is the definite highlight, with David Harbour as Hopper a very close second to me (especially just how likeable his character ends up being).

Think that's all I have to say about the show, really; would love to hear other opinions.

Stranger Things

7 years ago
Agree on pretty much everything. The show manages to stand on it's own two feet without over relying on that feeling of nostalgia. Acting is great across the board, with, what I think anyway, is a fairly good representation of how children/teens act (as opposed to cringy shit that is normally seen).

What I'm curious about is what direction they're going to take the second season. The thing you see right at the end of the last episode is interesting, sure, but it's not really a huge exciting plot twist. Honestly season 1 could just be it and it'd still be a great show.

Stranger Things

7 years ago

Love the show. I feel like Winona Ryder did such a good job because she might actually talk to Christmas lights. 

Stranger Things

7 years ago

I couldn't stand Mike's character throughout the episodes I enjoyed every other aspect though.

Stranger Things

7 years ago

Really? Any reason why?

Stranger Things

7 years ago

They just made him the most whiniest character ever, I can't explain it to well. It's just I would have preferred just Will and Dustin.

Stranger Things

7 years ago

Loved the series! Can't wait for the second season!