Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Their Eyes Were Watching God

7 years ago
The vernacular dialect is hard to get around, but I think the book so far is good. I've only read 10/20 chapters. Has anyone else read this book? Opinions?

No late-book spoilers please.

7 years ago

The way people talk about it, I always feel like it's going to be one of those old books that people say I'd really like but I end up hating. I was promised the world's first Quentin Tarantino movie by innumerable Moby Dickheads (That's now the official term for fans. I made it so.) but instead got an abhorrently dense slice-of-life procedural narrated by a verbose college professor with ADD and a borderline-autistic fascination with whales. The only authors of ancient days that I've come to 'trust' are people like Poe, Lovecraft, Shakespeare, and the other mainstreamers, but that's not like their best stuff is consistent in quality with the rest of their work. Although I do like Joachim Meyer's books, simply because they're badass.

But sure, you say it's good, and everyone else keeps saying it's good, so it must be good. I should invest my precious hours investigating this shit...

7 years ago

After you get through the impossible to read dialog and manage to finish the book you realize that you missed the bigger message. Then you read the book again and realize there is no point to the story. It's just a flat story about a slut who blames all of her problems on external factors.

7 years ago

It's alright, if you're okay with the slightly outdated views on society (it fits for a high school, but in the real world its impact is much more mitigated because of the whole SJW / PC 2017 thing going on).  Probably won't go into detail until you finish it.  Unless you're younger than what you claim to be, I don't know how the hell you found this book without being forced to in an English class.

Huckleberry Finn is by far more difficult in terms of the vernacular.

7 years ago
college English professor recommended it among others. I chose it randomly from a list and because it was only $5 at the school bookstore. Huckleberry Finn was difficult for me back in high school iirc

7 years ago

I read that book last year and really enjoyed it. My recommendation is to read the dialogue out loud, it makes it so much easier and faster to understand. I loved most of the morals it teaches, as well. My biggest complaint is that Janie is such a weak person despite the book being about the importance of independence. Have fun reading!

7 years ago
Yeah I can't really get into that too much without spoilers, but what was feminist or whatever about it at the time doesn't hold up too well today IMO. But like most classic books you really just have to take them as they are and appreciate them for what they meant at the time, or just forget 'messages' altogether and simply enjoy them as glimpses into the past.