Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 2/4/2017: Okay... so we kill the checkbox and have a profile option (defaulted to true) that determines whether or not you automatically subscribe to threads that you post in.
This feature was completed 2/11/2017: Done

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Poll: How many people don't uncheck the "Notify Me When Someone Posts in this Thread" checkbox?

I do it literally always because notifications are a pain for threads I'm going to see later in the day anyways. I hypothesize that most people uncheck this box every post - and it's become habit (at least for me).

I suggest it be unchecked by default, then if users want to be notified they can check it.

Unchecked by default is not HTML though, as input type=checkbox ensures that no matter the value of checked= the box will be checked by default. 3J would have to enter the following code in the following location in order to do this:

This small script does only 1 thing: uncheck that box.

To ensure this script ONLY unchecks THAT box - if must be placed within <form method="post" action="./new-post" onsubmit="javascript:return WebForm_OnSubmit();" id="ctl03"> - this being the main form for posts.

I've literally done the work for this - it's so easy and makes such a pleasant difference. If one forgets to uncheck the box one gets spammed with notifications for EVERY post in that thread. No thread needs to be like that. No notification area should be filled with "person posted in this thread." Stop the madness. Uncheck the box by default.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I support this.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Yes please!

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I actually never uncheck it. Though I probably don't post in as many threads as you guys. I usually forget which threads I posted in, so the notifications are helpful.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
I'm with Romulus. I think those that are very active on the forums might prefer the box be unchecked, but those who are not find the box and notifications useful. I'm not sure what the ratio is there on users.

A great solution, though it might be too much to implement, could be to actually have a user-defined setting to determine if the box is automatically checked for each user individually!

But I oppose getting rid of the notifications completely.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
I agree that the default should be unchecked. I feel it has been a huge pain in the ass from day one.

Down with auto-notify!!! >:(

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Also, because there is a huge "watch thread" button at the top of each thread, why even bother to have a check-box at all on the post level.

Just remove it completely, if that is easier.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
It actually would be easier to just remove it completely :D

Could even just delete div ctl21_ctl02

that would get rid of the space left over after deleting the checkbox

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Good work, Ford.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
I hate that the box is always checked, even though unchecking it immediately before I even start typing a reply is such a reflexive action at this point I don't even remember consciously doing it, and yet I must have while zooming in the screen.

I'm super bitter now though because it had crossed my mind to suggest this on Monday but I was eating lunch and so never got around to it.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Yeah, but this is new, in that we all support nuking the damn check-box completely now, rather than just un-checking it.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I love that the box is always checked. . .

Also, that's definitely not the easiest or best way to make a checkbox unchecked automatically but I appreciate that you went and wrote it.

This should probably be an account option.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
"I love that the box is always checked. . ."???

Why do you like it checked always? what's wrong with you? Do you even post in threads that have more than 10 posts? Honestly more than 7 notifications for anything is overkill. 400 post threads get crazy really really fast and overnight can be a nightmare of flooded notifications. How do you even live with the notification box checked always??? like genuinely curious because everyone ever pretty much agrees that unchecking it is the way to go and it totally makes sense to do so.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

You really like to lead with "everyone pretty much agrees" when it's blatantly not true. It's annoying and it doesn't strengthen your point. It reminds me of middle school children trying to bully people.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Excuse my use of English, your highness.

Hyperbole is used throughout english, and you being annoyed by it is fine. However, it doesn't warrant comparison to children and bullies to make your point.

Everyone in this sense is not a strict absolute and you know what I meant. People who post to the forums often do not use this function, and the people who don't post don't care. Though you call the shots and make the final decision, your opinion isn't the only one and you don't represent the entire site or the people who use it. We count on you to fufill wishes in a way that benefits the majority of the people who care and it affects.

You really like to lead with the feeling of "lemme tell you how I'm always right, but I'll punish you if you call me out on it" and that's near sadly true. It's annoying and it doesn't strengthen your point.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

You really like to lead with the feeling of "lemme tell you how I'm always right, but I'll punish you if you call me out on it" and that's near sadly true. It's annoying and it doesn't strengthen your point.

Oh yeah, I definitely don't act on other people's opinions. I'd also love to see an example of when I punished someone for disagreeing with me. Let's call in some witnesses: @TharaApples @Steve24833 @Malkalack .

The people who have posted in this thread also don't represent the majority of the website and even if they did, that doesn't necessarily make their viewpoints correct going forward. Taking a vote and acting based on the outcome is not a good way to run a website. There have been a lot of really poor feature recommendations that have been accompanied by roaring support.

Also, you might have missed the part where I said it should be a profile option? Why the hell are you even arguing this and why did you lead with trying to make me feel bad for liking that a checkbox is default checked? It's so weird. You're trying to put pressure on me by basically saying "everyone agrees with me, you're so alone on this point" rather than actually making a merit based argument.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Since I might as well put it out there, I recently disagreed with 3J about him being the best writer on the site, and he threatened me with unfeaturing my games and taking my points for sending racist PMs. I've been really unsure about whether I want to continue on this site where the Mods act so aggressively, and I don't even know if I want to have my work showcased on this site.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

banned.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Alas, poor Steve! I hardly knew him

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Well that was about time...

Thread Notify

7 years ago

That escalated quickly.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
That example is terrible...you literally took a couple active people's opinions and said "we're all in agreement" - which is the same as this thread and the one I linked to previously in this thread where active posters shared their opinion in favor of this change.

actually you liking the checkbox default checked was sarcasm but I forgot my /s :P soz misunderstanding.

Then how about a poll? I could even do it for you! We could make a thread where people vote and lock their vote to see how many people are for and against the checkbox being, by default, unchecked. The goal of this thread was to show that the people who post often are definitely for the idea of it being unchecked by default.

Also, unfair tags man xD thara hates me and steve is a prick to everyone and malk is an anarchist. So unfair. Why not tag BD or Zag? Or at least tag more people who are on my side as well for a fair bout.

Edit:: I change my opinion of steve now to "he's banned now"

Thread Notify

7 years ago

It needs to be someone who has disagreed with me in public, but tag whoever you want.

Then how about a poll? I could even do it for you! We could make a thread where people vote and lock their vote to see how many people are for and against the checkbox being, by default, unchecked. The goal of this thread was to show that the people who post often are definitely for the idea of it being unchecked by default.

You might have skipped reading this part of my last post:

Taking a vote and acting based on the outcome is not a good way to run a website. There have been a lot of really poor feature recommendations that have been accompanied by roaring support.

-------

That example is terrible...you literally took a couple active people's opinions and said "we're all in agreement" - which is the same as this thread and the one I linked to previously in this thread where active posters shared their opinion in favor of this change.

The point is that I don't generally make unilateral decisions without consulting people, despite your accusations.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
...but this thread consults people. People have agreed. I was suggesting we could get more people to share an opinion via PM or thread or something if you really need more swaying.

I've disagreed with you in public before at some point. Idk when but I remember doing it and I'm 90% sure nothing changed but my memory is truly terrible.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Maybe I wiped your memory as punishment.

No, but really, you've stopped making sense haha.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Main point:

so you're gonna consider unchecking the box by default? :D

Thread Notify

7 years ago

No, I'm going to consider adding it as a profile option.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
same diff

Thread Notify

7 years ago

What?! Then why the hell have you been arguing with me about this? I said I'd do that like 10 posts up!

Thread Notify

7 years ago
I'd rather it be my way since I already did the work :P

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Why would I use Javascript to uncheck a checkbox when I have access to the HTML though?

I could just put Checked = false in the tag. Or rather, just delete checked=true since false is the default.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Nope :D doesn't work! When input type=checkbox the value for checked doesn't matter. It could be anything and the box will always be default checked. Trust me, I did my homework on this before I posted xD

If you remove type=checkbox then it will uncheck by default. However, on CYS, removing that removes the graphics of the checkbox completely leaving a white space.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

<input id="ctl21_ctl07" type="checkbox" name="ctl21$ctl07" /><label for="ctl21_ctl07">Notify Me When Someone Posts in this Thread</label>

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I was made to perform heinous acts as punishment, unbefitting of someone of my pedigree. I eventually came to tolerate the humiliation and pain, and in time... even find enjoyment in it. 

He may have my body, b-but my heart is a different matter! 

Thread Notify

7 years ago

You can keep your body please.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I am grateful. I need this body to perform my various tasks.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I called JJJ shithead five times and didn't even get my points docked. 

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I'm sensing you're solving the wrong problem here. Removing checked by default is a bandaid on a larger problem - improving the quality of notifications. 

What you should be recommending would be a collapsing system, wherein you get condensed notifications such as

Thread Notify in Feature Wishing Well has 2 new comments, including from StrykerL, (names), (names)

The current notifications don't say anything about what the comment was or who wrote it, changing the format of the notification would solve those points.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
The presumption of the OP is that it's easier to uncheck the box by default than to fix notifications all around :P

I think someone should make a separate wish for notifications in general :S

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Wish granted. 

Now, I understand I'm late to get in on this business, but are we still deducting points from you everytime we make a wish? :p

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Yeah, account option solves that issue, although I'd say checking it should be the automatic option. We don't want to encourage filthy antisocial losers like Mizal.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I don't post a lot, so I'm pretty neutral on the topic. If I'm replying to a big thread, I'll uncheck it. If it's something smaller or I'm really interested in staying updated, I'll leave it checked so it's easier to keep track of what I've responded to.

For the really active people in the forum, I could see being spammed with notifications as annoying. I had that happen one time. Whether it's unchecked by default or having a profile option, I think it's a good quality of life feature as long as it's easy to implement.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
A Profile option regarding the check-box solves the problem, but why keep it at all, when each thread can be watched and unwatched with the click of a button. Why even have it on every single post?

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Can anyone confirm that that button works?

Thread Notify

7 years ago

The watch/unwatch button? It works.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

So it does exactly the same thing as the individual checkboxes?

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I think it does, yeah. It still doesn't take away the 'default checked' vs. 'default unchecked' debate though, even if you remove the checkboxes.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

The checkbox could potentially be removed and instead have an account setting that toggles the watch button on or off by default.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Yikes! You would get a notification for every single post on the forums if you did that!

Thread Notify

7 years ago

see my post below.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I likely didn't explain that thought enough then. The toggle would only apply to threads you're responding to, not every thread, just like the checkbox does already. That would be silly to have it apply to every single thread created.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Yeah, it does the same thing as the check-box (toggles notification for the thread on and off).

Thread Notify

7 years ago

So lets say we remove the checkbox altogether.

Would the profile setting basically determine whether or not the Watch Button is set to 'Watch' every time you post in a thread?

Wouldn't anyone who disabled that have a hard time keeping track of which threads they were in and wouldn't having to click that button be a real hassle?

Thread Notify

7 years ago
When Notifications was first implemented, alexp set all threads to Notify, including ones all the way back.

I had to manually go back an un-watch all the active ones. It was a pain. But, having to choose whether you want to watch a thread or not is easy.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Just to clarify, the Button and Check-box (default or no) are at individual thread level.

Having a global profile option would be a huge mistake, as it would be an all or nothing approach.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

I think you're misunderstanding. The profile option would simply determine whether or not posting in a thread would also automatically hit the button for that thread so that you're watching it. If you uncheck that profile option, you'd have to manually watch threads. If you check it, you'll have to manually unwatch threads that you post in.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Oh, yeah, that would be fine. I would choose the non-auto option and just click 'watch' on the few threads I don't already check regularly myself anyway.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Yep, this is what I was trying to say. Sorry if I wasn't speaking my mind clearly. I think the checkbox is mostly redundant, so it'll remove that in addition to adding that toggle on/off feature to automatically watch threads (or not) a person responds to.

Thread Notify

7 years ago

K this is done. It will be out in the next update. Killed the checkbox and added a profile option.

Thread Notify

7 years ago
Is Steve actually banned? lol (not really, he had amazing stories)

Thread Notify

7 years ago

Lol no