Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Please help?

7 years ago

Ok this is a really stupid question and I should know how to do this, but how does one actually end the story game? Do you need to create separate links to leaving ratings and comments, or what? Also, what type of story games are popular, or considered good?

Please help?

7 years ago

Never mind to the leaving ratings, I am just an idiot. But still, what types of story games are popular?

Please help?

7 years ago

Featured ones.

Please help?

7 years ago
Easiest way to figure this out is to spend some time reading the top rated stuff on the main storygames page.

A good storygame has most of the same criteria of a good story. Proofreading is a given, and then you need an interesting, believable setting, relatable characters, and an engaging conflict and plot resolved in a satisfying way. For a CYOA, you need to include a good amount of branching and alternate possibilities as well.

What it's actually about could be anything. Fantasy is popular here, but write about whatever you enjoy writing about.

Please help?

7 years ago
The stories that are considered good here are ones that are made well. The subject doesn't really matter (unless you write a WC story, of course). What matters is how much work you put into it. A story that was made in just a day won't be good, no matter the subject. Write about something you know and like to write about, the story will be the best that way.

Please help?

7 years ago

Hello and welcome to the valorous kingdom of CYS!

I recommend reading Will's How Not To Write and The Land of Bad Writing since they may help you with any future storygames you may write. In addition, here’s a story that is a good example of what not to do. Moral of the story: listen to constructive criticism.

I also recommend taking a surf through all the articles in the Help & Info section, two in particular being a helpful list made by StrykerL and an excellent article on proper forum posting, if you haven’t seen it yet that is. One resource in particular worth mentioning is a very good resource for designing a storygame.

Among the things you're more than welcome to participate in:

writing prompts

a contest

a collaborative story setting

poetry prompts.

I wish you luck in any creative writing endeavors you embark on! There's also a ton of good content on this website, so I hope you find the time to read any of the featured storygames.

And remember: above all else, live your life off the wall!

...Oh, there’s also this.