Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Another Noob....*Sigh* (You know you thought it):P

7 years ago

Hello,

Supreme Authors of CYOA, I type here humbly as I attempt to become a author like many of you.

Anyways guys and gals, I'm Silverhunter47 a longtime reader and lover of the story games made on this site. Until a little bit ago though the concept of actually making a story game rather than just regular writing that I do in my free time dawned on me. So here I am, with a single question and feeling like I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing even after reading a bunch of help provided when i joined. How do you guys find inspiration? or rather what really gets your brainstorming on? 

Thanks in advance if you took the time to read this :) 

7 years ago

Ay

7 years ago

Hello and welcome to CYStia! I would welcome you with my welcome message, but I have to work on my Chaos entry. @BannerLord will welcome you, eventually...

Another Noob...*Cough* (You know you thought it):P

7 years ago

I generally get my inspiration/brainstorming from imposing a deadline on myself, since I work best when under pressure.

======================================

Hello and welcome to the valorous kingdom of CYS!

I recommend reading Will's How Not To Write and The Land of Bad Writing since they may help you with any future storygames you may write. In addition, here’s a story that is a good example of what not to do. Moral of the story: listen to constructive criticism.

I also recommend taking a surf through all the articles in the Help & Info section, two in particular being a helpful list made by StrykerL and an excellent article on proper forum posting, if you haven’t seen it yet that is. One resource in particular worth mentioning is a very good resource for designing a storygame.

Among the things you're more than welcome to participate in:

writing prompts

a contest

a collaborative story setting

poetry prompts.

I wish you luck in any creative writing endeavors you embark on! There's also a ton of good content on this website, so I hope you find the time to read any of the featured storygames.

And remember: above all else, live your life off the wall!

...Oh, there’s also this.

7 years ago

By deadline do you mean, deadline to have a idea by or..? Mind elaborating bit more please? 

Also thanks for all the instructional links. :)

7 years ago

I mean a deadline by which you have to complete a story by. I thought you were asking about how to have the motivation to complete a project, not how to think up a good idea to base a story off of. But I guess having an impending deadline also includes thinking up the idea in the first place, so my advice still stands.

7 years ago
A good way to get motivation on this is to approach Endmaster and say "If I don't finish x storygames by y date, smite my account." Or if you're not that extreme, ask for a 100 point penalty and to be SHAMED (it's all capitals for a reason) if you fail to submit something by the agreed deadline.

7 years ago

Listen to Stryker. It really works. >~<

7 years ago

Hmmm.... it's a interesting technique. Kind of rough sounding, and straight to the point. i'll just have to take your and Stryker's word for it.

7 years ago

*Inspiration* Well, idk. It just happens for me. Maybe a dream? An event? Questions like "what if this happened instead of this?"

7 years ago

Hmmm... so my issue with doing it like you do is that I can't pick a single concept because I come up with so many. How would you work around that?

7 years ago

What I do is make a list of every single idea for a storygame I have and then concentrate on just one of them. Whichever you happen to be in the mood for. Just stick with that one idea. Mix some of the concepts into one concentrated idea if that helps.

7 years ago

I think that idea sounds like something i need to do more. Used to do it in a class. Thanks for reminding me :) 

7 years ago
Is it plotting out a story and finding the motivation to see it through, or coming up with an idea in the first place you're having trouble with?

7 years ago

I ain't particularly having a problem with anything.(Just joined yesterday so don't quote me on that later) I just was curious how authors here differ in thinking these stories up, while introducing myself to the community. Thanks though for asking.

7 years ago
Hey~

7 years ago

Hi. What is the ~ for?

7 years ago
Why, Equivalency!

7 years ago

Still don't understand... but alright. :)