Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Chaos Contest Predictions/Polling Thread

7 years ago

Well, we've had one user fail in the contest already, but I'm suspecting a few submissions to start popping up. Before any of us see anything, I'd like to see what what people think'll happen. Who will win? Will Ford ever get his lazy arse to write a storygame? Other than Ford, will anybody else not submit anything? Will there be any surprises?
Since it would be rather rude to just ask questions, I'll give my two cents as well.

I don't see a clear front runner. My storygame has been plagued with too many re-writes, and the only user who I "feared", Malk, quit. If I had to make a bet, I'd say something different such as Cres (since Steve would be annoyed). Either that, or one of our more prolific writers will suddenly join and win.
Ford won't publish a storygame or at least one that survives the ratings. I'm guessing only 60% of us will submit a storygame in time.
As for surprises, there will be a late entry. I don't think there will be much more chaos after Temp kicked the bucket.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

7 years ago

Going by past entries I'd say you'll win. Maybe Orange.

7 years ago
In my opinion, the winner will be some random noob that just joine. And no, Ford won't ever write anything. Not in this contest and not in any other.

7 years ago
March told me to write a storygame so I'm gonna write one.

As for my predictions I don't even know who's competing cause I never looked.

Edit:: I've looked. People who will probably submit something: claw, plelb, crescent, negative, orange, rev, jep, banner, wibbons, and me. People who I wouldn't be surprised to see in the top 5: banner, wibbons, neg, me, claw, orange, rev, or jep. People who would surprise me: malk.

idk, looks like a fine lineup. Anyone betting less than 125 is either a noob or probably too busy to submit anything and doesn't care much for the trivial amount of points they bet. kwism is the only exception to this I can think of but then again, he may be busy too.

Agent X - idk

Battlemage - idk

Lal - idk

Eric - idk

Kwism - 50% submit; 20% win

Seto - 30% submit; 15% win

Claw - 40% submit; 20% win

Minnie - 50% submit; 15% win

Plelb - 60% submit; 20% win

awesome - 10% submit - 10% win

Crescent - 40% submit - 15% win

Lance - 10% submit - 10% win

Malk - 1% submit - 15% win

Negative - 50% submit - 40% win

Orange - 40% submit - 50% win

Rev - 50% submit - 50% win

Jep - 60% submit - 35% win

beta - 50% submit - 30% win

Banner - 70% submit - 60% win

Wibbons - 60% submit - 50% win

Ford - 100% submit - 50% win

7 years ago

You're a math major, right? ... Your calculations of win probability would cause a grown statistician to cry about the future of the human species. Thankfully I'm not a statistician, but just HOW are your win probabilities totalling 505%?! By definition, the sum total should be 100% You aren't even using Bayesian probability, because THAT is totalling at 273.2%

For an example of why this is such a transgression of logic, this is the equivalent of saying last July that your expectations of who'll win the presidency are Bernie 60% Hillary 50% Trump 40% Ted 10%. It just doesn't add up correctly (it exceeds 100%). (Assuming the ratio of confidence in those candidates is correct, those percentages should be 37.5%, 31.25%, 25%, and 6.25% respectively)

I believe the appropriate phrase for your skill level would be 'I can't even'

7 years ago

^ Yeah I don't get it too. Especially the Ford part.

7 years ago
individual chances against the rest; not everyones chances against each other. Separate graphs for each person in this case. Jesus. Also I put 0 math into this I just guessed.

7 years ago
That's the exact mistake I've called out in my example, you can't be calling p(win/all submit) for everyone and have that total > 100%. In any case, as no math was involved, no point carrying this further

7 years ago

Often, the unpredictable ones are the surprising ones. 

7 years ago
Can't call odds of winning because past performance need not be an indicator of quality in this contest - there's been a fairly generous writing window, and the point of competitions is to encourage writers to be better than their previous selves. I can however offer my estimates (a priori) of participants submitting something, listed below.

95% Lallafa (Working demo on sneak preview)
90% Bannerlord (Good track record, strong motive)
90% Crescentstar (Has been working on the game for a while now)
90% WouldntItBeNice (Ditto)
85% Battlemage (Work shown)
75% MinnieKing (Good track record of submitting)
75% Negative (Will submit, no comment on win probability)
75% Orange (Expected to submit, but only storygame till date is ballad)
75% Plelb (Expected to submit to redeem self from SHAME, story been in the works for a while now)
50% AgentX (No stories published till now, so even chances)
50% Ericopy
50% Ford (While their account is at risk, that hasn't really seemed to spur them on for over a month. No reason to believe anything will change now. If they'd not linked the ban to winning, would have rated this probability higher)
50% Jep49 (Has thrown in a lot of points, but no track record nor updates, plus recent account so even odds)
50% Lancelot
50% Seto
40% betaband (Gone quiet, slightly reducing a priori odds)
40% Reverencia (same)
25% awesomeness1242 (No further news)
25% Claw2k11
25% Kwism1127
10% Malkalack (Not necessarily out of the race yet)
0% TemporaryAccount (...)

7 years ago

Well, Ford'll win the mini-challenge merely by publishing something, unless it's so dogshit that it's deemed "Worse than nothing". He could probably shine up the old demo he was working with using chaos-flavored polish and an entirely different premise and not be banned at this point as long as it's a self-contained story.

7 years ago
Winning the mini-contest is irrelevant, because he's staked his account's survival on winning the entire Chaos Contest.

7 years ago

Oh, well then he's fucked. It's just added disgrace if he publishes nothing, though, since nothing is the exact same thing that T-Count published, so he'd be a filthy plagiarist with no hope of getting his account returned.

7 years ago

What will be funny is if Ford wins the mini-contest and all those points only to get himself banned for losing the entire contest.

7 years ago

Poor Ford, he doesn't have a proper grasp of statistics nor, given enough time, an account named Ford.

7 years ago

jep has the most to gain I think if he wins. He basically bet 500 points he didn't even have.

True, he'll be even deeper in the hole if he loses, but if he wins he should be a lot better off than he ever was before.

7 years ago

T-Count should still win if Ford publishes nothing. He did publish nothing first, so he gets the points for originality. It's truly the Fordiest way to lose a contest, it's practically fated to happen.

6 years ago
Just comparing this to the results, with comments on my opinion of my a priori estimates.
Lallafa: Failed, despite having a working game in sneak peek. because she never logged in again after making it. Odd. Still, happy I didn't call this one a 100% chance.
Bannerlord: Failed. Disappointed by this one
Crescentstar: Success, 90% estimate validated
WIBN: Ditto
Battlemage: Ditto, though the story was a bit rough around the edges from last minute crunch
MinnieKing: Not sure how to treat this one.
Orange: Succeeded, future probability estimates will be revised upwards accordingly
Plelb: Technically submitted, then pulled it out. Not sure how to revise estimates on this one, probably downwards unless he publishes something and keeps it up
AgentX: Decent start, I still hold 50% as baseline for any new authors
Ericopy: He did better than Space World Arcaneta, didn't realize he'd written that or would have given him a higher probability
Ford: Well. He submitted. Something. Which allegedly had 60k words, though since we can't see them, there's a possibility that he just copied and pasted the word "Ford" on an unlinked page 55,000 times.
Jep: Yeah, was skeptical about this one
Lancelot: Seems he fell off the radar, no idea what happened in South America.
Seto: Now this one is painful, he has a 150k word story with ~20k words in coding... written on a friggin' phone, which he didn't upload in time.
Betaband: He came through, future estimates to improve
Reverencia: Came through with a surprisingly good story, though I believe IP's words were the deciding factor, so I don't regret the 40% odds
Remaining people: Nothing need be said.

7 years ago

Shitty Math on Winning Chances (including Submission Probabilities) in %

AgentX 1.5
Battlemage 1
Lal 3.3
Eric 1
Kwism 2

Seto 7.3
Claw 6.6
Minnie 6.2
Plelb 2
awesome 1
Crescent 6.5
Lance 7.3
Malk 2.3
Negative 2.3
Orange 7.7 
Rev 7.3
Rain 1
Flamenod 5
jep 5.4
beta 6.6
Banner 7.9
Wibbons 7
Ford 2

*Everyone has a chance of winning, but those who might as well not are striked out. (Meaning, most would not consider them competition—mostly based on writing skills.)

**PM me if you have any additional information on the contestants. Pls. I needs to knows. :3

7 years ago

If the mods allow it I'll bet 100 points on Ford winning the contest.

7 years ago

lock -_- Why are people betting on other people's efforts these days? E: o wait this has been happening for a while now.

7 years ago

I think the members here are developing a gambling problem.

7 years ago
Chaos. Reigns.

7 years ago
when points and commendations are worthless what are you really gambling? nothing.

Accounts though, accounts are gambling your name. Your personality. Your reputation. Memories - those are worth something. Gamble on!

7 years ago

1. Receives commendation from one of the Founders.

2. Says "commendations are worthless"

3. ???

4. Profit! yes

7 years ago

Actually, 2 would be "brags a lot."

7 years ago
1. Received commendation from one of the Founders
2. ultimately knows commendations are symbolic and not at all worth anything in real life
3. ???
4. Profit!

7 years ago

Quite honestly, the most entertaining outcome is if Ford won. That would be pretty great for a bunch of reasons.

March's chosen would be victor; a symbol of the power and knowledge of the admins.

He probably hasn't done very much as of now, so if he did win, it would toss the work of people who've been working all month right back on their faces. 

An Architect would take the contest and finally win us some glory. 

An underdog win is always entertaining. 

Nothing really against the other contestants, but I'm hoping Ford manages to actually accomplish something amazing here, so I'm backing Ford for this contest:

I feel like the only 'good' way to end this post (after 2 seconds of thought) is to say, " Don't let me down Ford," or something like that. However, that doesn't seem like much incentive.

Therefore, don't let March down @Ford

7 years ago
The glory of March will shine bright in my mind and among my fingertips shall rain the passion of his divine choice!

7 years ago
Not gonna lie, I really want you to win now but only if you stay in character and continue to spread the word of the Holy March because I mean, we'd literally be talking a miracle here.

7 years ago
It was a miracle March even came on the site at that moment in the first place. The chances a noob would tag him were doubly negligible and I siezed the moment - gaining divine selection in the process. Truly a most improbable of circumstances had occurred and now I am obligated to repay such divinity in full, doing what has been demanded of me with haste and force greater than imaginable!

For I have been chosen - I, too, must choose to take opportunity by the horns with just as much conviction as was given to me.

7 years ago

Oh yeah. He's an Architect.

7 years ago

I also don't think it's a coincidence that March is an Architect. This is simply the Architects' rise to power ordained by a founder himself who designated Ford as the leader. So long as Ford can fulfill his role, then the Architects' ascension into power will have begun. 

That is, if Ford can fulfill his role. 

7 years ago

Oooh The stakes have risen. Ford bb u got dis.

7 years ago
thx for the support bb <3

7 years ago

7 years ago

I'm on my school google acct and every youtube vid you guys link to is always restricted

7 years ago
youtube's new restricted option blocks all non-educational or academic related videos. Auto applies to school and library institutions obviously.

7 years ago

Click the link in google translate?

7 years ago

?

7 years ago

Copy the link, paste it in Google Translate on the actual GT webpage. Click the "Translated" link and go to the webpage, but click "Original" if you want to be able to actually read what's happening. That's what usually worked for me back when school gave a fuck about what we were accessing.

7 years ago

Doesn't work. T-T

7 years ago
thx for the support end daddy <3

7 years ago
My vote can be bought for $10,000 ^_^

7 years ago

7 years ago

I'd say Battlemage has a 100% chance of winning or losing. As a result I'm contemplating betting an additional 25 points that I'll lose the contest, thereby guaranteeing that I'll be one of few who make a winning bet. The cost of such a move would be minimal, since the 25 I put in to bet against myself will be returned upon submission and inevitable defeat. 

Of course the odds of this post being entirely bullshit is 100%.

7 years ago
Clever attempt, but no dice. Betting on yourself is the equivalent of match fixing, and I doubt @EndMaster would fall for this scheme. If he were to allow betting on anyone's wins or losses, we'd be running a bookie scheme on CYS, which is far from the aim of the site (writing, in case anyone forgot). For future reference, don't monologue and explain your villainous plan until it's succeeded.

7 years ago

Lol yes that seems to be the fatal mistake of every arrogant antagonist.

7 years ago

Thanks for reminding me. 

7 years ago
End's been letting his devilish side get the better of him in encouraging/abetting reckless behavior during this competition, just wanted to put a word in before we have bets on peoples bets (I bet x points that y's bet pays off or not). This is exactly how we ended up with the sub-prime crisis. Furthermore, it's not like there's a betting exchange market, everyone's playing against the house (in this case staffed happily by End), which can print its own points (money), so it's just weird all around. Bets wherein a user risks the existence of their account, imo, should not have been allowed. We have few writers as it is, no need to let the herd thin itself.

7 years ago

I'm sorry; I started laughing at the "happily" and "End" part. It's been an emotionally deficit morning. T_T Also, it's not that his devilish side is getting the better of him, I think. It's just soaking in all its godly powers. Yeah, betting accounts is a bit overboard. :( Though I wouldn't say Ford is a writer at all, but what do I know?

7 years ago

How I picture End during this entire contest, especially when someone makes a new bet/form of bet

7 years ago

Seems about right. xD Darnit lol. I'm in class.

7 years ago

Don't you mean "End during his entire adminhood"?

7 years ago
I never lived in an age where End wasn't a Mod, so I have no idea how we was beforehand, the same way American children born after 2008 think that Presidents have always been Orange, or Black (oh, the pun!)

Inglorious Cat-Turds

7 years ago

This mental image of End as Landa was too good not to run with, even if Berka was the one doing this rather than End...

"Cat-chief Wolfsplash, wat we r aboat 2 diskus wood bett3r b diskussed in priv8. U'll notice, I hav left my men outdoors. If it would not offind you, perhaps it wood be best that you encurridged ur 'School Friends' outside..."

"You r rite. Charfur, wood you taek teh girls outside? Endstar and I need to have a few wurds."

"Cat-Chief Wolfsplash, I regret to infurm u that I hav egzaustid teh extent of my faggit-speak. To cuntinyew 2 tawk lik a Warrir Cat wood only serv 2 embeariss me. However, I'v ben led 2 beleeve that u speek a proper, non-bastardizd form of langwaj?"

"Oh, yeh, Inglish."

"Well, it just so happens, I do 2. I ask ur permission 2 switch 2 Inglish fur teh rest uf de confursashin?"

"Sure."

"Cat-Chief Wolfsplash, while I am very aware of your ilk, I have no way of knowing if you are familiar with who I am. Are you aware of my existence?"

"...No, but I'm reading the thread now..."

"This is good. So you're aware of the job I've been ordered to carry out in Cystia?"

"Yes."

"Can you please tell me what you've read?"

"I've been told that 3J put you in charge of rounding up the remaining Warrior Cats stories left in Cystia who are either hiding in sneak-peek, or passing them off as talking wolves."

"The Fuhrer couldn't have said it better himself!"

"But the meaning of your visit, though pleasant, is mysterious to me... The Admins searched my page 9 months ago for hiding Warriors, and found nothing."

"I'm aware of that, I read the report on this area, but like any enterprise when under new management, there's a slight duplication of efforts. Most of it ends up being a complete waste of time, but needs to be done nevertheless. I just have a few questions, Cat-Chief Wolfsplash, if you can assist me with answers, my department can close the file on your family."

*This is the part where he pulls out the suitcase and the fountain pen.*

"Now, before the inspection of this area, there were four warrior cat stories, all written by retards like yourself. Is this correct?"

"To my knowledge, yes, some of the fans were retards... End, would you mind if I smoked my pipe?"

"Please, Cat-Chief Wolfsplash. It is your disgusting feline hovel, make yourself comfortable!"

"Now, according to these papers, all of the story-writing retards in this area have been accounted for... Except, it seems, for Shelleyes, who seemed to be an alt. What have you heard of Shelleyes, Cat-Chief Wolfsplash?"

"Only rumours..."

"Oh, I love rumors! Facts can be so boring, while rumors, true or false, always provide me with luls! So tell me, Cat-Chief Wolfsplash, what have you heard about Shelleyes? Speak freely! I want to hear what the rumors are, not who told them to you."

"Again, this is just a rumor, but we heard that Shelleyes was an alt of T-Count..."

"So the rumors you heard have been of trolling?"

"Yes."

"Were you two... Friendly?"

*This is the part where the camera goes under the floorboards to reveal a dead alt and a pile of shitty Warrior Cat drawings.*

"Well, I guess that should do it. However, before I go, do you have another glass of T-Count's delicious salt?"

"But of course."

"Cat-Chief Wolfsplash, are you aware of what they call me?"

"I have no interest in such things..."

"But you are aware of what they call me?"

"I'm aware..."

"What are you aware of?"

"That they call you 'The All-Banner'."

"Precisely! Now I understand your trepidation in repeating it. Before he was assassinated, Bad Mod Kiel hated the moniker that the good people of BHBosa bestowed upon him. Actually, why he would hate the name 'The Pussy' is baffling to me. It seems like he did everything in his power to earn it. I, however, love my unofficial title precisely because I've earned it.

The feature that makes me so effective at hunting retards, as opposed to the other Mods, is because I can't really empathise with a retard, whereas they can only think like a Mod, and are encouraged to regard everyone as equally cognitive citizens. If I were to determine what features we Mods share with other internet denizens, it would be the animosity and dedication of the 4channer.

The Trolls, given their facial features, penis size and ability to fight with higher beings alone, would be most like the CoGites. The WC fans, however, are the most like Wattpadder. 3J and Beta's Propaganda have said much the same thing, but unlike them, I don't consider the comparison an insult. Consider, for a moment, the world that a Wattpad lives in. If a Wattpad 'Writer' arrived on your doorstep, would you greet it with hostility?"

"I suppose I would..."

"Has a Wattpadder ever actually done something that you feel would have it deserve such animosity?"

"They spread cancer. They write cringy shit..."

"Unless some fool is stupid enough to venture into stories not publically reccommended, the cancer stays well-contained on their dark corner of the internet, and they generally don't bother us here. Of course, there was the terrible fact that there is so much cancer, but there's just about as much on Fanfiction.net, and you don't share the same animosity with them, do you?"

"I guess not. I mean, that's where I came from..."

"Explains a lot. Anyhow, they're rather alike still, aren't they? What is the real difference?"

"It's an interesting thought, Mod End..."

"However, interesting as the thought may be, if a Wattpadder were to scamper through your door right now, would you offer it a saucer of your delicious salt?"

"I guess not."

"Precisely. You don't like them. It's clearly established why you don't like them, and you find them repulsive.

What a tremendously hostile world the Warrior Cat must live in, yet, not only do they endure, they continue to subsist and be killed! And the reason they do this, is because they have a lack of self preservation instincts, and an oppression complex that is second to none. And that, Cat-Chief, is what a WC story shares with a Wattpadder... It'd be better if they all just went there anyhow.

Consequently, a Mod conducts a search of a house suspected of hiding WC stories... Where does the Mod look? In the barns, in the cellar, in the attic. He looks everywhere he would hide. But there are many places it would never occur to him to hide. However, the reason 3J brought me off my throne in the forums to random, obscure profiles of random lurkers, is because it does occur to me. Because I'm aware of what tremendous feats inhuman beings can accomplish when they realise that they never had any dignity in the first place.

May I smoke my pipe as well?"

"Please, Endmaster, make yourself at home."

"Fuck it, this joke is way past its prime by now. Berka, get in here and shoot this dumbass, we already know he's writing WC stories!"

Inglorious Cat-Turds

7 years ago

Dude I can't even understand what they're saying. Was this really how WC stories were?

Inglorious Cat-Turds

7 years ago

Mhm.

Inglorious Cat-Turds

7 years ago
MAG-NIFICENT. Very, very well done

Inglorious Cat-Turds

7 years ago

Do I get points for reading this entire thing in the proper voices?

Inglorious Cat-Turds

7 years ago
Only if you can pull it off for an audience as a rakugo (hell, if anyone could pull that off convincingly, they're on the wrong site)

Inglorious Cat-Turds

7 years ago

Dude! I went to the laundromat the other day and they had a computer there, so I checked my e-mail n' stuff, and when I was typing into the search bar, there was that little roll down thing that said stuff that'd been searched before, right? The thingy said chooseyourstory warrior cats. I shivered. A past offender had been there before.

So I burned the place down.

Inglorious Cat-Turds

7 years ago

Holy meow. Are you sure that's not just the normal search thing? It appears for me too.

Inglorious Cat-Turds

7 years ago

Pics are different here... but click on the link

https://s27.postimg.org/4eev8dz3n/warrior_cats.jpg

It appears to be everywhere...

7 years ago
End I'd like to bet 5 points that you'll roll your eyes at this post and then ignore it.

7 years ago

Cheap way to earn points? (Was about to say money.) Well, not that it matters if you fail to fulfill your own (real) bets. :3 Are you really going to try and write something for the contest? I'll have to edit the winning chances and all that.

7 years ago
Paradox. If he sees the post, sees your comment, and grants you points for the lulz, he would have effectively reacted to the post.

7 years ago

I actually believe betting my account helped me. I would've given up due to writer's block and rewrites a while ago if it wasn't for my fondness for WIBN.

7 years ago
Really, it's the only motivation that means anything here. Points are and will continue to be pretty useless so if bragging rights don't do it for you, accounts are all there is.

7 years ago

Unless your Seto*

7 years ago
To be honest, even that's a slap on the wrist if you understand the bare minimum of internet-street skills needed to survive in modern times (using a VPN)

7 years ago

Quite honestly, a Viral Pornography Network is one of the worst things you can use.

7 years ago
For some reason, I don't think you and I are using the same acronyms here... 0_0

7 years ago

I think it's more of a slap on the wrist for T-Count (Who lived up to his name) and Ford (Who has a billion alts) but in Wibbon's case, he actually has some stories to his name so it would be a bit more serious.

7 years ago
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that WIBN's has stories, commendations, and trophies to his/her name. Did we ever solve the mystery of WIBN's gender? My best guess is 60% chance of male, 39% female, and 1% penguin

7 years ago

Generally we still refer to her as female since despite her best efforts, she did imply it once in a past thread. However, since it's still a "mystery" sometimes the male pronouns occasionally get used.

Probably is a dude, but who knows in this day and age.

7 years ago
Wibbins is definitely a girl.

6 years ago
Does that mean we can call her toots?

6 years ago

Should I look the word up or is it not worth my time? XD

6 years ago

It's just 1940s slang to address a dame.