Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

1) Puddle 2) mizal 3) Romulus 4) Saika 5) Zag 6) Wizzy 7) Minnieking

?Here is this week's writing prompts. I believe everyone should know how theses work at this point, and my head rather hurts.

1) Has anyone here played/watched Dead by Daylight? If not, the story behind it can be found with Google or something. All the journal entries are here: https://www.deadbydaylight.com/manual/lore/ 

The prompt is to write a story, either about one of the Killers or one of the victims. 

2) Puddle's picture of a car in an interesting place.

3) "Here's all your reason, you can throw it to the wind."

If anyone guesses which book that last quote is from, kudos to you. xD

Good luck to all!

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Inform me if you don't wish to be tagged to this anymore. Also tell me if I missed anyone. I'll eventually see it.
@WouldntItBeNice @JJJ-thebanisher @bbshark @Bucky @mizal @FrankIevatus @TheNewIAP @Romulus @TacocaT @Crescentstar @Mayana @Zulutrader @MasonJarGuzzi @Ogre11 @malkalack @Charaxes @eshspoyeofdoom @RoyalGhost_007 @StillWatersRunDeep @temporaryaccount @ISentinelPenguinI @Drew8521 @Orange @LickReborn @ZagHero @Gemini4Ever @Bannerlord @Taylor_Boulet @Madhattersdaughter @MrMustachio @firegrill @WizzyCat @Pleb @Saika @Iavatus @Minnieking @Claw2k11 @Nyctophilia

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Lol. Pleb.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Lol again.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

XD

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

can you tag me?

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Haha, Mizal lost to PuddleBunni. Go fuck yourself, Mizal, the children are better than you.

Oh, and stop tagging me. When it occasionally works it's a bother.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Ah. Sorry, I'll take you off the list next week.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago
Says the guy who didn't write anything.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago
Nice to see these rolling again, and congrats puddle!

But not sure if I'll be able to enter this one or not, I've got limited writing time right now and have to focus on the contest.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Hot dang, um, thank you! I'll try to write something cool! And I would like to be tagged, please. Thank you thank you!

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Is that.... nevermind.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Glad to see the writing prompts are back this week.

Although I probably won't be able to do it this week, on account of joining the Chaos Contest a week before it ends. (Unless I do it super fast, or give up early, and get something in at the very last minute.)

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

How did I get seventh? I didn't even submit anything.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Wrong king. >~< goddamn it.

Had these for last week and I guess autocorrect or something

Supposed to be Tmanaking

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

T-T Seto, this was "starting and finishing entries week". T-T

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Model Students of God

The headmaster glared menacingly at Jack, "you mean to tell me you don't know why you're in here today?"

Jack's heart fluttered in his chest as he pointed his nose towards the sky, hoping artificial confidence could save him, "I haven't the slightest idea, sir."

The headmaster rolled his eyes behind his thick spectacles. After a pause, attempting to stop himself from murdering the student in front of him, he addressed Jack again, "we received a tip that it was you who did this. Perhaps this photo will ring a bell?"

The headmaster slid a photograph towards Jack, who gulped in response. He shook his head slightly, "okay, so I went a little overboard on the senior prank."

"So it was you! You snuck into my office, stole my keys, stole my car, then drove it into Brother Joseph's swimming pool. That's what you call 'a LITTLE overboard?'"

Jack looked down at the photo of the red car in the pool and had to hold himself back from laughing. It was truly the greatest prank St. Frances Academy had ever seen. Jack looked back up at the headmaster, unsure of what face would make him the least angry. A grin? No, that'd look like he's not sorry. Maybe start crying? Nah, tears would do nothing at this point. Perhaps looking down trying to emulate shame? Perfect.

Jack cast his eyes downward, pretending to feel the greatest shame in the world, "I'm sorry, Father, I guess I just didn't think."

The headmaster's face went red and his chest seemed to tighten. His blood boiled in his veins as his unconquerable rage spilled out his mouth, "didn't think? DIDN'T THINK?! MY G-," he reminded himself of his vows of priesthood, "Mr. Lawrence, you're not even a senior. Why exactly did you feel the need to do this? What you did here was a crime punishable by prison time. Do you understand the weight of that?"

Jack sighed, "yeah, I'll go to confession and get the nuns to flog me or something."

The headmaster sighed, despite his anger, doing something like this was never easy. He averted his eyes, "Mr. Lawrence, that simply won't be enough. I won't press charges, but I'm afraid that you're no longer welcome at St. Frances Academy."

Jack sat in rigid shock as the world toppled around him. The words 'no longer welcome at St. Frances Academy' played over and over in his ears. By the time he was back in his dorm, he couldn't remember anything else that had happened. All Jack could picture was his father's shame and mother's tears. Expelled? Was he really expelled? He shook his head and and laid down on his perfectly made bed, closed his eyes, and hoped that by the time he woke up, the whole thing would've blown over.

Unfortunately for Jack, the world doesn't work that way. He awoke to his roommate, Patrick, shaking him. Jack complained, "what do you want, Patty?"

Patrick had been out all night and was still half drunk from the parties he'd been at. He looked almost worried, "did you get in trouble?"

Jack rubbed his face, wondering why he had to be bothered at 2:00am right after the worst day of his life. But one look at Patrick calmed him down, and his tense muscles relaxed. He sighed, "yeah...headmonster said I'm no longer welcome at the academy."

Patrick was heart broken. Now who was going to cover for him when he snuck out at night? He looked to Jack, "that's such a bummer. Oh well, it's better this way, I suppose. If they found out it was me who sunk that old lemon and gave me the boot, my folks would be SO mad. You're an orphan, so you have nobody to disappoint."

Tears sprung to Jack's eyes. They'd lived together for two and a half years and yet he didn't even know that he had parents, two of them, in fact. Jack rolled over, wondering if maybe he should've ratted out his ungrateful roommate. But then he remembered why he didn't. Even though Patty was a brat, a slight alcoholic, and an all around a self-centered prick, there was something about him Jack couldn't help but be drawn to. He supposed that he loved him.

The next morning, Jack packed up his few belongings and exited his dorm room. Moments later, he opened the door again and gave one last glance at Patty. Patrick was snoring in only the way someone who's going to wake up with a hangover can. Deep down, Jack knew Patrick was the one that gave the fake tip to the headmaster, but he swallowed the thought as soon as it formed. For now, he just wanted to say goodbye in peace.

With a swift motion, Jack closed the door and headed out. He was supposed to go to the headmaster's office to tie off loose ends but he decided to sit outside the front gate and call a taxi instead. His flight wasn't until the late afternoon, but he wanted to leave the academy as soon as possible. As soon as he hung up on the taxi agency, someone cleared their throat threateningly right behind him. "Mr. Lawrence?" It was the headmaster. 

Jack cursed silently, wondering how he had found him, "y-yes, father?"

The headmaster spoke calmly, "I believe I told you that you were supposed to come to my office?"

Jack figured he had nothing left to lose, "well, father, I would've, but I'm no longer a student here and I thought that getting a guest pass would've taken too long. It's much better to talk to you out here, don't you think?"

The headmaster forced a laugh down his throat, not wanting a young troublemaker to think he won. But something in him held a certain kind of curiosity. Why would Jack, always a model student with high marks and perfect behavior, suddenly commit such a crime? "Mr. Lawrence, may I ask why you did what you did? What reason could you possibly have?"

What Jack wanted to say was, "I guess I covered for that dumb jerk because I'm as gay as the tooth fairy and fell in love with a jackass."

Despite himself, he didn't say that. He thought a moment and looked off in the distance just as his cab rolled up, "here's all your reason. You can throw it to the wind."

The headmaster was taken aback. Half of him wanted to scold the boy for talking back, but the other half knew he was no longer a student. He addressed him one final time, "I hope that you'll become a model student of God no matter where you end up."

Jack laughed as he got in the taxi, "model student of God? There's no such thing save the Messiah himself."

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

pretty good

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Would you like to try and write something too? ^-^ I'd like to see more finished pieces this week. xD *cough* @puddlebunni

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I'm not good at writing.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Well of course you're not good if you don't try. No writer ever wrote their first story and had it be good. You can't just pick up an instrument you've never played, try to play a note, and once failing, decide you're no good. Writing is like playing an instrument or doing anything in life: it takes practice. Look at me, I wrote my first short story a few months ago, and it was crap! But you know what, I kept trying. I joined the writing contests in order to improve myself little by little and I attempted (not enough) of Seto's short story prompts. I try to write a little bit every day in order to get better and in order to become a "good writer." I'm not what most people would call "good" yet, but I've improved greatly. You can do the same thing, no matter how bad you think you are. If you want to write, write, regardless of how good you start out.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

*applauds* Awesome advice. Brilliant. (Don't forget Rom's poetry contests! They certainly prepared me for Shakespeare!)

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I will try one of Seto's prompts next week

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Yes! If you need critique, just ask, and someone will give some reviews. :D I'm sure you can get better at writing. ;3

@Seto Tag him next time just in case, please.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I gotta thing to post, I promise I'll stick it up when I get wifi again. Adios!

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

NI'm never gonna finish this, so whatevs!

This is for the car-in-a-pool prompt, and maaaaybe I'll finish it, eventually I guess. It was goofy fun.

########################################

Two o’clock in the morning and I get a series of texts that come out something like this:

Wifey(lol)<3<3: omg maxo get ou there

wifey(lol)<3<3: *here

wifey(lol)<3<3: I KNOW YOUR NOT DOING ANYTHING COOL U LOOSER

wifey(lol)<3<3: Sonic adventures 2 ???? ?????? ????? ? ?????

wifey(lol)<3<3: do you want to wreck something

I try to think of what Casey would be doing at a time like this. Witchcraft? That’s not off the table. Something involving an aerosol can and a hammer? More than likely. Vandalism/Grand Theft Auto/Something with fire thinly disguised as revenge followed by way too many chocolate creme pies, each one individually wrapped in tin foil and denial? Sorry buster, but it’s probably happened before. I sigh and roll out of bed, hitting the ground with a deafening thud. There’s no use denying it. Whatever it is, I am involved. It’s the Casey effect!

I get up and open my window, looking down from the second floor to be unsurprisingly met with the sight of messy-haired Casey, covered in dirt, spamming my phone from my front lawn. My perfect, manicured, front lawn. She probably dragged in some foreign mutant seeds with her and now the whole thing will be covered in weeds by the time we’re out of prison for whatever we’re going to do.

“Hey, peasant,” I shout, “Get your pleb feet off my lawn.”

Casey looks up from her phone and shoots me her signature million-dollar, get-out-of-jail-free smile, filled to the roof with mischievous, dark purpose. Her face, hair, everything is covered in dirt. She waves at me to climb down. I obey.

“I can’t believe that my secret ladder hidden in shrubbery system works so well. You should sneak out more often.” She beams at me when I meet her down below.

I glare as much as I am physically able to, both at her and the crippled bike she’s dumped in my lawn. “It’s not sneaking out if your mom is too drunk to notice. Also, stop changing your name in my phone to ‘wifey, lol’. It’s immature and the hearts at the end look like farts.”

“Exactly!”

“Casey, stop being yourself.”

We walk in the dark (It is the middle of the night of course it’s dark, what am I saying). I beside the disheveled Casey, and Casey with her destroyed, collapsable bike halfway collapsed in her arms. I assume it has something to do with whatever we’re going to destroy tonight. Normally I don’t ask questions, but I know for a fact that that stupid doinky metal contraption is Casey’s most prized physical possession and that she would never allow any harm to come to it, will go her way. I have to ask.

She tells me to not worry about it.

“You drag me out in the middle of the night for a supposed crime spree and you tell to not worry about it?”  I wave my arms out to the middle of nowhere, as if some physical manifestation of crime spree had accumulated in front of our eyes.

Casey sighs heavily, tapping at the crushed metal of her once-was bike. “Well, if you reeeaaally want to knooow…”

She realizes that I’m not going to let her go on this one, and she huffs again.

“...Britney Goldberg, that ratchet skank ho, tried to run me over and killed my bike.”

I take a second to figure out how much salt to take with that. Casey is insane, but Britney is on a whole other level of murderous Mean Girl. It’s also a scientific fact that Britney hates my best friend’s guts. So did this really happen? My face shows it all.

“I know, right?” Casey yelps excitedly. “I was just cycling and I see her car and she swerves like she’s gonna hit me, so I jump off and she kills my bike. Like, what the hell.”

“That’s...That’s crazy, Casey. She could’ve killed you. That could’ve been vehicular manslaughter.”

“Exactly! So that’s why we’re going to drive her car into her pool.”

I stop in my tracks.

“Noooooo.”

“Yeeeeeeeeeeeesssss.”

“That’s a bad idea, Casey.” I say seriously. “In the history of bad ideas, this is the baddest idea, possibly even worse than dubstep or James Buchanan being president. Or those two combined, as your idea presents an imminent threat to both of our well beings.”

“Britney Goldberg’s well being poses a threat to my well being. And it’s not like you would mind putting that goblin in her place.”

I cringe because it’s true. I really kind of hate that Goldberg girl. I would honestly like to inflict some hurt on that entitled, well-to-do-bad glitter queen, but I also know that revenge is a really stupid reason to do anything and that we might drown. I know I don’t have to go through with this. I could just go home...But when I see my best friend, covered in dirt and bruises, hugging their destroyed favorite thing, it really puts me in a destructive mood.

I hate hiding in bushes. They are itchy, scratchy, buggy, and they are also generally green, which is not a very flattering color on me. Being friends with Casey means looking unflattering a lot of the time. Being friends with Casey means just destroying a lot of shrubbery, now that I think about it. I say a quick prayer for all the greenery we’ve viciously killed on our exploits.

The insane girl sticks her arm out of the bush as to point to our next victim. “That four-wheeler dealer of destruction tried to kill me while taking Britney and her High School Musical hos back from burgers.”

I tell Casey that that’s probably not true, as Britney is Jewish and burgers are anything but kosher.

“Oh my God,” She hisses as she rolls out from the shrubbery. “Hitler was right.”

I have to admit that while literally rolling out is pretty lame, these late night escapades are pretty exhilarating, even with the risk of juvie. I carefully supervise Casey as she whips out a sharpie and writes “= 16!!” after the 4x4 mark on the back of Britney’s car. I try to be disapproving but a giggle admittedly escapes.

“Play time’s over.” Casey exclaims, oddly large wrench in hand.

I growl. “What the hell is that for?”

“It’s for...uh...The windows, I think. Or the engine. Wait a minute, I looked this up beforehand.”

“You have no idea what you’re doing.”

“Hey, you know what Sun Tsu said? He said ‘Throw sense to the wind and run with it’.”

“...Sun Tsu never said that.”

Casey shrugs and nearly swings her wrench at the fragile glass window, stopping only when the damning sound of the Goldberg front door opening causes us to fling our entire beings back into the shrubbery. Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

Britney Goldberg comes teetering down the walkway, glittering and visible drunk.

“That is so illegal! Was she drunk when she was driving?” I hiss, my mouth full of leaves. “I’m calling my lawyer.”

Britney, babbling mindlessly into her phone, fiddles with her car keys in drunken frustration.

“Whattt? What? I can’t hear you. Huh? That Casey girl? I mean, I dunno. She’ll be fine. I dunno...Ugh, Jacob, I can’t. You’re not Jewish and my parents will, like, freak.” She whines a little and the car finally beeps. She opens the door, grabs a soggy bag of what might be burgers, and leaves. “Omigod, I told you, I can’t...Well, maybe a little…” The clack of her heels disapear with the slam of a door.

Casey and I are shocked.

“She left the door open! SHE JUST LEFT THE DOOR OPEN FOR US!” Casey squeals.

“She’s eating BURGERS!” I cry.

We bounce in excitement a bit . This is so unbelievably easy. It’s like God wants us to punish her...Punish her for being a bad person, and a bad Jew. Jeez. My friend and I jump out from the bushes and dive into the car, trying desperately to supress our insane giggling. Being criminal is great.

...Until it’s not.

The two of us dirty delinquets freeze. The door has opened, I repeat, the door has opened. Britney comes teetering back down the walkway again, still on her phone. She heads for the car. We’re still inside.

“Noooooo,” Casey whisper screams.

“Yeeeeeeeeeeeesssss,” I hiss back.

I run several simulations in my head. It looks like we cant make a break for it, as it would be fairly unlikely that the target would mistake us for large, rabid racoons. We can’t play it cool. We are unable to back out and it seems that we’ve forgotton our invisibility cloaks at home, so we do the only thing we can: We throw ourselves to the back seats at mach 5 speeds, keeping our heads down low and our bodies crunched down as much as possible. Very uncomfortable. We’re like two secret agents, except instead of being cool we’re just covered in leaves and anxiety.

Britney gets into the car and slams the door, presumably with the intention of driving. She starts the engine.

Nooooo.

“I just, like, don’t understand what her deal is? Because, she’s like, so plastic it makes me want to bulimia. I can’t help it if she’s ugly, you know?” Goldberg explains as she checks her mascara in the mirror. “Whattt the heeeeell-UH.”

Casey squints in the dark, trying to keep her breathing level. I feel so creepy.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I know this post is late but I wanted to try the prompt.Prompt #2

One day my father let my brother drive his car and told him not to do anything stupid, well two hours later and we hear a splash. My brother had driven our dad's car into the swimming pool! He had been playing around with the car and he took the wrong turn, went through three fences and crashed the car into the pool.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I feel the need to tell you something, and it is this: if your best attempt at a writing prompt consists of no more than two sentences, neither of which is particularly awe-inspiring, then you have sorely misunderstood the purpose of this thread. You could write out a simple description of the writing prompts and it would still be longer than what you've written.

Perhaps you have secretly written the rest of your entry in invisible ink, hidden to the all-seeing eyes of Cystia, cast within the glory of several detailed paragraphs of glorious text. Perhaps these two sentences of yours are but a fiendish secret code, indecipherable by the masses. Perhaps in reality they speak volumes of unrestrained intellect shrouded by ignorance. 

If so, then by all means, enlighten us. You have quite possibly written the shortest prompt I've ever seen in a writing prompt, and everything about it is baffling from beginning to end.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

@Saika

Ok, I'll try to do better next time. Thank you for the advice.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

@team_raiders_cowboys

What the actual fuck was that? Is it incomplete? Did you even try??

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

@MinnieKing

Atleast I tried to write something, I could have write something completely stupid and didn't sound possible. 

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I get it, if it was your first attempt at a prompt, but that was really bad. Honestly, you ahould examine a few of the other prompt stories in other threads more closely. They'll give you a good thought of what you should aim for. 5-10 paragraphs is usually decent for a prompt, and grammar is very important.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I think his grammar is decent. :/ It's not as bad as... Gem

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I think that what you have is a good outline for a longer story. Next time, you can expand on each event that happened by including dialogue and more details and descriptions. For example, what's the setting like? What are each of the characters like? Would the father have gotten angry? Etc.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Ok, thank you so much and I will try harder next time. Am I allowed to re-write the story or is it too late?

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

You can rewrite it, but can you send it to me first? I want to give you some more advice and help you polish it nicely. We're pretty good about redos. ^_^

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

okay, thank you.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I'm gonna try next week's prompts.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Please make your piece longer! ^_^ Can we see at least 500 words, please?

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

Yes, I will definitely make it long and I will try to make it that long.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago
Yeah but the idea is to write a short story or at least a scene just FYI. You might have a browse through the rest of this thread or some of the older ones for examples of what that looks like.

Writing Prompts Week #14

6 years ago

I'd like to be tagged into this as well. This seems like a good place to start.

Pretty please.