Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Questions about copyright

6 years ago

So, I have some questions about the copyright on the website, because of the book I'm writing. I plan on publishing it, so I suppose that copyright could be an issue. I have characters with names similar to members (e.g. Tim, Atyoth, End, Silas), on purpose, because it is the Systian Chronicles after all. Would it also be a breach of copyright to use terms like Barbarian Cats (Warrior Cat lookalikes/Main Antagonists) or Systia?

6 years ago
Published where?

6 years ago

Like, in real life....

6 years ago

Never thought I'd have to say this, but Silas is my furry OC, so pls do not steal. Particularly since he wasn't and isn't just an online persona character, the webcomic I'm about to write is specifically about him, and I'd like to have some (Not all) of his ties with this website cut short. I'd prefer it if you didn't put him in anything that you don't publish on here.

I don't really have any more copyright power than anyone else here does, so I can't and won't come after you for doing it or anything, but I would really appreciate it if you changed his name. Silas's name/face association holds a sort of sentimental value for me after all these years, and It'd feel really shitty to have to change his name in any future "Real Writing" works containing him just to avoid confusion and legal tieups.

6 years ago

Ah, ok.