Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago

A story on here to someone wanting to learn how to write CYOA stories, which ONE story would you pick?

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago
Ground Zero / Eternal. Neither of those involves technical coding, but both involve planning storylines (no matter the route, certain events will always happen such as the plague in Eternal, and the enjoyment is in seeing them from different perspectives) and offering a vast variety of meaningfully different outcomes that are the raison d'etre of storygames. Choosing between those two is a matter of taste for a newcomer, though Eternal is the superior game, IMO.

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago

Reading through any of the top 5 should give the necessary insight into writing a good CYOS. I think getting a gist of what to do and what not to do, however, is best developed by reading a wide range of stories.

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago

lol thanks for the thoughtful answer. But I've been around. lol I was just asking for personal preference. 

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago

Eternal.

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago

How Not to Write.

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago

Necromancer

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago

Will11's How Not To Write seems pretty helpful as it just shows flaws rather than just exists as a good example to be emulated, so not matter what type of story you want to write it would help. Any other game would only show you how best to use a particular style of writing.

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago

My suggestion would depend on who was asking the question. If it was a newb saying, "Hi, I'm _____ blank and I lik this sight", then I'd suggest How Not to Write. If it was somebody with apparent writing experience, then I'd lean more towards Eternal or Through Time depending on what they'd like (and/or their age).

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago

I think the best story that balanced story and game elements fantastically well (thereby a fantastic representation) would be The Other World. However, seeing as how the game is no longer ont the site, Eternal.

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago
I think it depends on the individual. If they have little experience of writing I'd point them to the Help and Info Articles and the Creative Corner for some practices (and an introduction to dealing with internet criticism), if they were a medium level writer I'd suggest How Not To Write and Land of Bad Writing a few pointers on what not to do or if they were an expert I'd recommend anything featured and anything 6/8 or above generally as examples (especially Eternal or anything by End generally). Basically any reading of stories will help authors with ideas for plots, characters and settings; some call it plagiarism while others call it research... :D

If you had to suggest...

6 years ago
I'm going to be contrary and suggest Innkeeper. It's not as overwhelming huge as Eternal and the others, but it's got good branching just like all of End's stuff. With more of an average protagonist it might be more appealing to people not into over the top epic fantasy.

I wouldn't bother with Will's story because the question was how to write CYOAs, not how to understand simple common sense concepts about writing in general. For that is send them to their school library or the Grammarly site.