Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

hey guys, it's almost 2018 and to put a long story short, i have been working on a visual novel adaptation game of "Through time" by killa robot. The first time i had the idea, i straight up messaged them, i had hoped that i could've monetize the game and surprise surprise my message gets ignored.

after reading it again i realized it was a pretty dumb move but still i loved the story so much i kept on working on it, and i know to ask this question now would be way due but here's the thing:

when i realized i would not get a response to my message, i decided against monetizing the game, and just release it for free, AND of course, to credit killa for their intellectual property, however even after releasing it as a fanwork, and not claiming any profit for it, would there still be any possible troubles (legal/non) behind it? i figured posting this here would be a better way to catch killa's attention anyway so cheers

sooo....copyright

6 years ago
This should be good.

@Killa_Robot

sooo....copyright

6 years ago
It's actually not an exciting story lol. I didn't answer them because they ended it with "reply if you're interested", and I wasn't really interested.

For now just show us what you got.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago
Can we see some examples of the art?

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

i would be glad to if i had more, although it's embarassing to say that i haven't been putting as much work (read: none) on the visual department than i would have liked but here's a really quick sketch of how i pictured allison would be

http://imgur.com/a/XBfTt

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

All I can say is...

I wish I can draw like that.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

Glad he's drawing Killa's story and not mine.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

To each his own.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

oh but i love your stories too endmaster, but your story deserves a more triple A budget showcase which i don't really have now lmao

i believe if eternal could get a triple A budgetting it would put MGS5 to shame :D

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

Lol, I should clarify, I'm just not a fan of the whole anime style, so I definitely wouldn't want it for anything of mine. I'd want something like what this guy did (And then he just disappeared)

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Eternal-556721666

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

me too because it's not really my drawing hahaa we're a 2 man show, i crunch the codes while my friend draws everything in it

sooo....copyright

6 years ago
Pretty impressive, though you'll want to work on the elbows. That said, you'd probably want to have sent him a follow up message before you'd gone ahead with this. Given he's a mod, it wouldn't have been unreasonable to expect he may have just missed your message amongst the spam I presume mods get (he didn't in this case, but you had no reason to consider otherwise). Also obligatory: copyright violations are not taken kindly by the creators (See Endmaster:Kain)

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

A quick search gave me an answer:

"Most definitely! If you distribute somebody else’s content without their permission, it’s a copyright violation whether you make any money off of it or not.

In the U.S., if you distribute content that you did not create yourself (audio, video, images, speech, logos, etc.), it’s a copyright violation unless you have the express written permission of the copyright owner, a license to use the content, or it falls within one of the few (& very narrowly-defined) exceptions. Copyright doesn’t restrict people from profiting off of the work; it is instead the “right” to “copy” (i.e., the person who created the work has the sole and exclusive right to determine where and how their work gets used), so in that sense, whether any profit is involved is completely irrelevant." - some guy who knows law stuff

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-get-a-copyright-claim-even-if-I-dont-monetize-the-video

This also answers your question, and more (note it's an Australian site, but the things on it still applies):

https://www.copyright.com.au/about-copyright/copyright-myths/

I think you need Killa's permission to stay safe from the copyright monsters.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

Last time I remember this happening Seth said someone made a flash game version of Snow on Kongregate and when he tried to get them to take it down, they didn’t I guess and it just stayed up.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago
I don't understand this. What's the point of having a site full of minions if your game gets stolen and you don't bother asking them to kamikaze that game and yell about plagiarism while setting things on fire?

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

Here's a video that clearly outlines what is fair use and what is copyright infringement by addressing 'an incident' that actually happened. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ZmVheuxpo&ab_channel=YourMovieSucksDOTorg

sooo....copyright

6 years ago
Unless Killa Robot has an army of lawyers, you can do whatever you damn well please. If you at least give him credit, that would be nice. Claim "fair use" and "derivative works" and it will take thousands of dollars of lawyer fees to get you to stop.

Copyright and the Internet do not go together. Ever.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago
Actually the story belongs to the site, and Alex actually does have the resources to make someone's life hell if he really wanted to. Very unlikely obviously, but the larger issue is that taking and using someone's work without permission is a shit thing to do and makes you a bad person, so why would you encourage someone to do that and when did Killa piss in your cornflakes?

Though it's kind of moot anyhow though since Killa seems more indifferent than anything, and the only thing we've seen of the project so far is one pencil sketch.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago
Hey, I did tell him to give Killa credit! That's about all you can ask for with this whole Intertubes thing.

sooo....copyright

6 years ago

"taking and using someone's work without permission is a shit thing to do and makes you a bad person"

that's what i thought too, and since i'm working with something that is not my property (which i don't have a lot of experience in) i wanted to make sure that i am not stepping on someone's foot without knowing any better about it. and suffice to say i'm quite glad that it's at least accepted indifferently rather than pessimistically... or even worse

i will try my best to get some teaser materials as soon as the brunt of the work is done, because i'm set on releasing the game on april 24th 2018 as an easter egg of a sort