Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

Asinine. Is it a curse word? Chances are it would get you in trouble at school if you went around saying it, at least at my old middle school it would. But is it a curse word? My initial thought would be no. Thoughts? 

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

As far as I know it's never been a curse word.

Of course I didn't know "damn" and "hell" were considered curse words for the longest time either.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

Hell was always a tricky one for me too. Referring a to a place was ok, but not referring to a place was not ok? Seems so silly really. 

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

I remember one of the teachers in preschool asking me if I was ready to do a project or something and saying "You bet!" Suddenly I was sent to the office, since I had problems swearing in class before, and they thought I was calling her a bitch. I ended up thinking that "bet" was profanity for the longest time.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago
my art history teacher back in high school got really upset and offended that I said "The homework sucks" when she asked for our opinions of what can change in the class to get better grades. I thought she was sad cause she worked hard on the homework assignments - turns out she really was offended by the word "suck" which I had, up until then, never considered to be even close to a curse word. I'd probably hear it out of a christian mothers' mouth in place of an actual curse word.

I didn't know that damn was a curse word to some people until around middle school.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago
No, it's an eye shrug put into letters, not an insult at the other person's parentage and or intelligence. It's slightly disrespectful, but entirely appropriate for normal conversation.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago
It's not remotely a curse word unless, the only thing I can think of is if some idiot thinks you're saying 'ass' and a teacher can't be convinced to use a dictionary afterwards.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

Not a curse word, but I remember when I was in third grade I was arguing with some idiot that insisted that the word "several" meant "seven."

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

Almost anything in the lower grade levels can be seen as a curse word. I once called a kid a "freak" and the teacher said it was a swear.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago
In the seventh grade, a couple girls were given a suspension after calling a boy "uncouth" (which he was, but apparently it was wrong for them to point it out).  And at one place I worked a guy was fired on the spot when he jokingly said to the boss "So you're the culprit!"

Okay, maybe these aren't really curse words, but they were treated as such.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

In second grade a bunch of assholes tried to get me in trouble by claiming I said "what the fuck" when in reality I only said "what the heck" 

After I protested and repeatedly declared my innocence, a girl tried to "help" me out by saying I didn't say "what the fuck" but only said "what the hell" instead.

Fortunately the teacher was just tired of everyone yelling and told us all to be quiet and nothing else was done about any of it.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago
Back in the third grade, a couple guys tried to get me into trouble by asking me derogatory questions about the gym teacher.  I don't remember anything specific, but they were recording the conversation on a hidden cassette recorder.  Me being the shy little kid that I was only nodded or shook my head in answer to the questions, so when they played it back for the teacher it was only their voices on the tape.  Lol

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

This one time, at band camp...

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

Lol, well since we’re playing old man memories…

In my middle school NOT knowing swear words could lead to severe mockery.

Back in sixth grade there was this group of assholes who had all migrated from the same grade school so they all knew each other and were a little clique. Anyway, one day they were giving grief to anyone who wasn’t part of their group and in one instance they started interrogating some of the other guys about if they knew certain swear words at the lunch table.

In this particular instance John got targeted first by their leader.

GREG: Hey, you know cock means?
JOHN: Um, yeah.
GREG: Well?
JOHN: Dick.
GREG: Okay, so what’s cunt mean?
JOHN: I dunno.
GREG: YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT CUNT MEANS?! YOU FUCKING LOSER! HAHAHAHA!

So after John got shamed for his lack of swearing knowledge by the group, Greg suddenly asks me if I know what it means. Fortunately my dad was quite colorful with his language so naturally I knew that cunt meant pussy long before I was ever in middle school and avoided mockery.

Then Greg briefly mentioned in passing about knowing what the word poontang meant. He hadn’t asked me the question directly, or if he did he soon got distracted with something else (I think he was still laughing at John) so I wasn’t on the spot again.

Still, poontang was actually not one of the words I ever heard my dad say for whatever reason. So thinking ahead, I needed to know what the hell the word meant before I got suddenly quized on it.

Now I could have just guessed since it was obviously going to be some vulgar term for some part of the anatomy, but which one? And if I guessed wrong, that would have been just as bad as saying I didn’t know, possibly worse. I mean this was pre-internet days, not like I could just look up the word online and find the damn answer.

So I came up with an idea.

ME: Hey Patrick, you know poontang means?
PATRICK: Um, no.
ME: HEY GUYS THIS FUCKHEAD DOESN’T KNOW WHAT POONTANG MEANS! HAHAHAHA!
GREG: He doesn’t?! Hahahaha! It means pussy you dumb ass!

This was followed by more mockery of Patrick who desperately tried to defend himself, meanwhile I now had the knowledge I sought.

About week later, I heard my dad actually say poontang while referencing that part of the female anatomy and thought that would have been a lot more helpful a week ago.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago
This is hilarious. Even all the way back then you were pulling strings to make drama happen and then sitting back to laugh.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

Since this thread seems to have gone from 'is it a curse word' to 'stories about how we said something but someone thought we said a curse word', I'll share a story of my own.

I remember one time when I was six or so I went shopping with my mom and stepdad. They got me a Nerf gun that I wanted (because that was back when I was always running around and being active and didn't sit in front of a fucking computer all day), but a few minutes later they suddenly decided that I couldn't have it. When I asked why, they said that I said a bad word. I kept asking them what I said, and it wasn't until we were driving home that my stepdad explained that he thought I said 'bastard'.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't say anything, but if I did say something, it certainly wasn't that (in fact, that was the first time I had ever heard the word in my life). Looking back on it, I think my stepdad just didn't want to blow fifteen dollars on a toy that I'd probably end up breaking and decided that punishing me was the only way to ensure I didn't get it.

Needless to say, I never got that Nerf gun.

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

Maybe you said some shit like, "nerf blaster," and their parent ears morphed it into "nerf bastard."

Is it a curse word?!

6 years ago

No, I remember it pretty clearly, I was quiet for most of the time. But hey, that was nine years ago, so I might be remembering it wrong.

YOU SAID A BAAAAD WOOOOOORD

6 years ago

I was in the first grade and these kids were trying to get me to curse. I was the teacher's favorite and the nicest, bestest angelic girl, so doing so would be quite a feat. I was level 1000 goody pure. Not really, but you know.

STUPID KID #1: Hey, Puddle, I bet you don't know any curses!

ME: (creating a beautiful play-doh cookie sculpture with my high tastes) I so do.

STUPID KID #1: No you don't.

STUPID KID #2: If you do, then say it.

ME: You'll tell.

STUPID KID #1: No we won't.

ME: Shit.

STUPID KID #1+#2: TEACHER! PUDDLE SAID A BAD WOOOORD!!

I got a talking to about how I was "a nice girl who shouldn't talk like that" and how she "was very disappointed in me" and all that jazz. The shame haunts me to this day.

6 years ago
clearly your fault and you brought it on yourself. you absolutely deserve the shame.

6 years ago
She labels them 'STUPID KIDS' and yet they successfully led her directly into their trap.

6 years ago

This is why I live with this shame. This is the burden that I carried.

I thought we were brothers...Comrades in arms...But alas, I was wrong.

6 years ago
First grade you was real, real dumb and also I'm Lawful Evil so I do not have friends here, only those it is temporarily not practical to destroy.

6 years ago

Oh? Us friends? I meant the stupid kids. I know you hate silly children and all things in the light!

6 years ago
Kids are Chaotic Evil, they were never your friends either.