Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

It's been 20 years since it's release. I never got into it. I tried reading book 1 to impress a girl. But I couldnt get into it at all. But I can't deny it's a global phenomenon. 

As this is a writing site, why do you think it's become such a game changer in a world of video games, a book still captivated us. What did she do that others haven't? I'm just looking for general discussion on writing and getting global attention. 

Harry Potter.

6 years ago
Appealed to the right generation at the right time.

If harry potter was released now instead of then it would still be a big hit because there's always a market for good story and magic but it just happened to appeal to just about everyone all at once when she was writing the books. I think a lot of global attention in and out of writing can be attributed to getting the right attention of a select audience at just the right time.

Like how youtubers like pewdiepie make it - he gathered the attention of a certain audience and developed himself at the right time to appeal to a grander audience. Through that audience sharing him he garnered more attention.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago
Same way Linkin Park and Pewdiepie did it. Right thing at the right time. People connected with them and booom! Global phenomenon and a devoted fan base that carried them for 2 decades.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago
I always assumed they were like most trendy things in that they hooked people in a certain age range in exactly the right way to become a significant (and maybe unhealthily obsessive) part of their development and life. I think I tried reading the first one as a freshman in highschool and the experience was a resounding 'meh'.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

Harry Potter appeals to the majority of most demographics. Thus, I think its success lies in its accessibility - which is 'supplemented' by good/competent writing. Even though it seems to target a young audience, an adult/adolescent can also appreciate the story for what it is. This is because, interestingly, as the series progresses each book becomes gradually 'darker' and more mature. The light-hearted wonderment in the first book, while it isn't completely gone, lessens by each installment in lieu of this. This gradual shift in tone is reflected on Harry and his friends - who likewise become more developed/nuanced as they too 'grow up'. I think that this contributed greatly to maintaining and growing the fan base, since the people that have grown up with the series remain engaged by the similar development of Harry Potter's characters and it's tone+themes.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

Last time I was reading books to impress a girl, I ended up getting married.

Speaking of which, I didn’t even watch the movies until I got married and even then I only saw the last few they made, which was just as well since there was more Voldemort in those so it kept my interest.

Never read the books, don’t have any desire to either.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

Haha I started reading the first book for my former fiancé. The crazy things we do for love. 

Harry Potter.

6 years ago
But....but why? Did she watch you reading it? Was you crush JKR? Last time I tried impressing a girl, I got slapped by his father in public T_T.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago
>a girl

>his father

m8 I think I found the problem.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago
Thank you chan-sama thank you for noticing my struggles senpai! T_T. Indian muslims are mean people :(

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

'But why' what? Why did I try reading it? Cause I loved her. 

Harry Potter.

6 years ago
I mean how does one impress a girl by reading a book?

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

Gotta say if Fleshy’s fiancé was actually JK Rowling and it didn’t work out because he told her he didn't like her book, that would be a really missed opportunity to be set up for life.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

lol too true. 

Harry Potter.

6 years ago
top kek

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

Out of curiosity, what does your wife think of your stories?

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

Going by what I know of End, his wife presumably doesn't talk, as she is a human skull wearing a blond wig.

Harry Potter.

6 years ago

She likes them. Probably likes Necromancer the best.