Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Any here good at writing Sci-Fi?

6 years ago

I have finally decided to start working on a story every day. It's a space story about sending a team to investigate a ship. I may need some help with it though. Anyone wanna volunteer?

6 years ago

Before asking if anyone wants to help you, it'd be useful if you could go into a bit more detail into what genre the story would be (horror, adventure...) and anything else that you've decided as essential information to have. How long do you intend it to be? How many important characters are there and what are their 'arcs' in the story? Are you asking for a co-author or someone to be on standby to give feedback? Until you've given enough info, I don't think anyone would be willing to volunteer.

6 years ago

1. The genre is Sci-Fi and is set in space. Your character is a captain, and is sending a team of 3(Melee, Gunner and Scientist) to investigate why static messages are coming from a certain ship. Certain events will happen in the story, and, if you've chosen the right team, the mission will be more successful. 

2. I do not intend it to be too long, but I do not not want it to be short either.

3. Important characters would be survivors of the ship and of course the army

4. Mostly feedback but if there is any plot points I can't decide on then help would be nice

6 years ago

(Most of this stuff links offsite - but may be helpful to others, not just the OP.)

Science fiction isn't just about being in space, meeting new and interesting life-forms, nor is it about "Pew-pew-pew, BLASTO!"

Before writing, decide what kind of science fiction you want to write: Wiki Catagories.

Here is a few tips, here are some more.

The last and best science fiction book I have read was: The Forever War. I mention this, because to me it is a great example of logical and rational thinking of consequences. To me, this is just as important as world building, and/or research. Basically, my rule of thumb is: 'Everything you write in SF will be poured over by people much smarter than yourself." So, no matter how the science works (or doesn't work), you can "cheat" by remembering everything has a consequence, which must be both logical and rational. Want to have a ship 'magically' teleport from one side of the galaxy to the other? What is the consequence for a 'technology' being able to do that, for:

A) the society and culture responsible for using that 'technology'?

B) the design and operation of the vessel which uses it?

C) the characters in your story? (whether they are proponents or discontents for the 'tech'.)

You see, unlike most of the genre stuff, SF should be more well thought out than any other genre. Otherwise, readers become suspicious you're blowing the proverbial air up their butts. At least, that's been my experience! :)

Good luck with the story!