Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Game Designing Help

6 years ago

I plan on making a game on scratch but i'm no good at pixel art. Please comment on whether or not you're able to help. i would appreciate it

Game Designing Help

6 years ago
Honestly I'm not sure if a community of writers is the best place to search for artists, even aside from the fact that most of us are wrapped up in our own projects.

I'm not really familiar with Scratch, is it simpler to use than the scripting system here? Because I can't help but notice that your profile (the coherent bit anyway) it's dedicated to rage quitting storygames because they're too hard?

Game Designing Help

6 years ago

@Axiom loves to do free work, especially for children 

Game Designing Help

6 years ago

Oh hell yeah. Don't you know? Scratch is like Roblox for script kiddies!

Game Designing Help

6 years ago

Before you make your game, I'd say plan it out and define your constraints. 

I'd suggest using placeholders and making a working prototype first before you start commissioning artists, just so you know what you're capable of doing it and to figure out if you have the coding expertise to see through your project.

If you feel you're missing some key knowledge, go out there and watch tutorials and ask for help! I do believe that you CAN make a GOOD game. Hell, maybe a GREAT game! Other people have done it before and there's no reason you can't be one of them. It's all a matter of trying, learning your limits, and pushing yourself to improve those limits. 

So yeah, tl;dr, I'd suggest making a prototype first with placeholder assets just to make sure you understand the technical side of everything and to learn where you could improve in order to make the most high quality product possible. Get your technical chops down first.

Furthermore, once you're ready to start making assets, maybe you could ask a relevant subreddit on reddit for where would be a good place to find pixel art volunteers. I don't think chooseyourstory has many qualified people, but hey, I might still be proven wrong. ;)

Best of luck,

Game Designing Help

6 years ago
I mean I did link Axiom to this thread but she just started laughing hysterically.

Game Designing Help

6 years ago

thank you for the help, all of you gave me valuable information. i appreciate it.

Game Designing Help

6 years ago
You are welcome. I was glad that I was able to provide you with useful information.