Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

The Return of The Writing Prompts:The Sequel

6 years ago

And thus I return, with yet another writing prompt.

1) Write about an encounter with Death. (Death, not just death.)
It does have to be morbid - extra points to anyone who writes about a British-stereotypical Death. Just because.

2) Scarlet Chamber by fmacmanus

3) "Please stop petting the test subjects."?

Inform me if you don't wish to be tagged to this anymore. Also tell me if I missed anyone. I'll eventually see it.
@WouldntItBeNice @JJJ-thebanisher @bbshark @Bucky @mizal @FrankIevatus @TheNewIAP @Romulus @TacocaT @Crescentstar @Mayana @Zulutrader @MasonJarGuzzi @Ogre11 @malkalack @Charaxes @eshspoyeofdoom @RoyalGhost_007 @StillWatersRunDeep @temporaryaccount @ISentinelPenguinI @Drew8521 @Orange @LickReborn @ZagHero @Gemini4Ever @Bannerlord @Taylor_Boulet @Madhattersdaughter @MrMustachio @firegrill @WizzyCat @Pleb @Saika @Iavatus @Minnieking @Claw2k11 @Nyctophilia @team_raiders_Cowboys @mattc

6 years ago

Lol. Pleb.

6 years ago

Told ya :P Running gag now.

Also *small edit* I meant it *doesn't have to be morbid. I just noticed x'D

6 years ago
Seto don't do this to meeeee I'm writing about superheroes until I die and that's all there is to it. :[

6 years ago

I'm sorrryyy. You can always come back after writing about superheroes >.<

6 years ago
"Come on then."

"Christ! W-Who are you!? How the hell did you get into my house?!" The hooded figure in black throws as big of an 'Are you joking, mate?' look as the inky, obscured hood allows for.

"I 'aven't got all day. Don't tell me you're one of them. Gotta wrap this up before the footy starts."

"Uh?" The great big fuck-off scythe somehow morphs anything beyond one syllable into unreachable esoteric jargon.

"You know, one of them. Wailing into the deathbed, long monologues, teary goodbyes..." Its head cocks at the sight of your blank, puzzled face. "I get the feeling you look like that alot; not a big reader, are you mate? Anyway, you'd've thought I'd be used to all that malarkey by now, what with doin' the job day in, day out, but it puts me on a right spot. Y'know what I mean? Full blown hug is a bit much, and I'm not the best bloke for wrapping your arms around, see. Personally, I'm more down with the 'death is but another adventure' types meself, none of that riffraff with the sobbin' and all that. Sure, they all sound like a bunch of knobs, but it gets the whole thing over and done with quicker."

This has been the strangest day you've ever had and it's barely even begun yet! First the new toaster breaks down and you have to fish out the damn things with a knife, then the weather starts going all over the place and it turns from a gorgeous, quick-put-out-the-washing type of morning to just another cold, grey Monday. It's summer! Where's the familiar waft of freshly cut grass, the laughter of frolicking children, the laboured pants of that one middle aged man trying to keep up with said frolicking children to offer them sweets? Sure, certain allowances have to be made for the unique (shit) British climate, national object of wonder and breaker of ice to all strangers encountering an unfamiliar face at the cornershop, but come on!

Ah... Right.

"No... But I... Shit! Shit, I definitely knew about... Oh for God's sake! I can't die on a Monday!" The horror sinks in slowly as you look down. Your body is whiter than sour cream, which wouldn't usually be worrying seeing as you get about as much sun as the average woodlouse, but the hovering is more than a little disconcerting.

"Yeah... 'bout that 'God' business... Ah, never mind actually. One of the boys down at limbo'll go through all that." The hooded figure, tapping his foot to the floor with a distant echo, pulls up a draping sleeve and stares overtly at an ectoplasm watch strapped to one bony wrist. "In a bit of a hurry you see. Nightmare down at the office today. I mean, I'm sure this is all..." A chirpy ringtone blares out and the figure whips out a large smartphone, then lets out a groan like screeching metal. "Oh, bloody 'ell. Not another one. Fuckin' Russians, eh? Why can't they just stick to normal roulette like the rest of us? Bloody nutters, the lot of 'em. Working me to death!" The figure chuckles at its own joke from the depths of the swirling, jet black hood. It sounds distinctly like the rasping, dying bleat of an emaciated goat being slowly suffocated by a runt-of-the-litter farmer's son slightly too weak to get the damn thing over with quickly.

In the meantime, there you are, freaking out about not having to breathe anymore. This can't be happening! 'Too young to die' might be pushing it a little (you think, running a hand over what little hair remains on your shiny head), but you have so much to live for! You're an indispensable member of the HR staff of the third largest packaging corporation this side of the county for Christ's sake. The truth has barely even registered, let alone the outdated, realistically-questionable slang dialogue.

"B-But... But I don't want to die yet," you murmur wildly, bottom lip a-quiverin' and a-quakin'.

The figure cracks up. Lovely, more dying goats. "Ahh, ruddy classic, that one. That's what they all say mate!" Death chuckles, sweeping you under its cloak and heading off to the nearest pub to neck a pint before grabbing the first flight to Moscow.

6 years ago

Hi! I've been MEGA SUPER busy, but I have every intention of writing stuff again ('cos it was always so fun!)

The image for Death I have now is like something out of that old Jeeves and Wooster show.

6 years ago

Prompt #2

My boyfriend Daniel and I decide to take a trip to a canyon and we decide to take a detour to go explore a mountain,well I wanted to climb on top of a rock and take a picture of the sunrise.So he held me up while i took the picture.Well when Daniel and I got off the rock we lost our balance and we both fell backward,we slid down a slope and fell in water.Once we swam to the other edge I saw a faint look of pinky light,i walked down the small walkway and i saw an opening in the wall.I called Daniel over and told him that I found something,we peaked around the corner where this room had water in it.There was steps leading down to the floor and so we descended the stairs and we stepped into the water.There were other people who looked like statues in there,three were in the water and the other was outside the water.There was pink cloth hanging from the ceiling and there was a chandelier.Eversince then,we would go back on our aniversary.

6 years ago
Seto, what have you done.

6 years ago

I didn't do anything >.<

6 years ago

was there something wrong with my writing?if there was i can change it.

6 years ago

*rolls up sleeves* Critique time?

First of all, its very short, which isn't really a problem if I meant the story length itself since there are plenty of stories that are short but so good. However, by "short" I'm judging based on the fact that you didn't make it long enough to tell an actual *story*.

The characters have only names and nothing is memorable or worth noting about them. One of them is you, and the other is your boyfriend "Daniel." That's all I know about them. No idea why you guys went on the trip, no description about them, no dialogue, nothing. "You" and "Daniel" are nothing but lackluster puppets acting out a bland story. And no, if next time you add only a description about what they're wearing, that is not enough. TLDR; flesh out your characters and give them life, figure out their motivations, their likes and dislikes, etc. Basing them on people you know would be a very good start before you start making real people. Also, please don't make them Mary/Gary Sues...All people have faults, they're not perfect and they'll never be perfect - and no, just depression is not considered a viable fault.

Next thing is your descriptions in general. Its bland, and you describe nothing. There is literally no description in the entire thing other than the part about the "faint look of pinky light" and all that. Try using more adjectives (but not too much, since that just makes the flow *so* awkward). Instead of telling me your characters climbed on top of a "rock" and fell try wording it like;

"Daniel and I decided to race up the mountain; we were both very competitive and this felt like a good challenge, and as a bonus, we could get a lovely picture of the sunrise at the top. At the foot of the rock, I looked up. It looked so much taller here, and I started wondering if this was really a good idea. Daniel was already climbing, a determined look on his face. I knew if I didn't start soon I would never catch up, so I took a deep breath and pushed away my fear.

Little pieces of the mountain crumbled under my fingers as I climbed, small pieces of debris tumbled down. I finally caught up to Daniel, and I gave him a small grin. This really wasn't as tough as the rock climbing walls at the playground. We reached the next ledge and decided to take a breather. As I settled on the ledge, Daniel suddenly lost his footing and slipped. I grabbed his hand desperately, throwing my entire weight into pulling him up - but his weight threw me off balance and I slipped off too."

^ See? Much better. Like I said, don't tell me what happened. Describe to me how you see the scene in your mind :)

Next thing I have a problem with was the plot. You had a very nice idea - people finding a secret place. But you never...finished it, which leaves me very disappointed. Okay, you found the place, but what is the purpose of it? How did you guys get out? Who were the people there and why did they go there? Was it because the water there cured your sickness? Was it because they were sacrifices? There was so much potential here to make a good story, and you just ended it with "We found this place, and now we go to it during our anniversary." *shakes head slightly* The plot just isn't interested and I'll be honest - before I decided to give you critique, I just skimmed over it and noted the no-spaces between sentences, and the spelling mistakes which jumped out at me. It didn't hold my attention from the first sentence, and it didn't hold my attention past that.

Which brings me to my next point...your spelling the paragraph structure, etc.

You had plenty of spelling mistakes, and the lack of spaces after sentences is...well, annoying. Here's how it should be;

"My boyfriend Daniel and I decide to take a trip to a canyon and take a detour to go explore a mountain. I wanted to climb on top of a rock and take a picture of the sunrise, so he held me up while i took the picture. When Daniel and I got off the rock, we lost our balance and fell backward. We slid down a slope and fell in water. Once we swam to the other edge I saw a faint look of pinky light and I walked down the small walkway and saw an opening in the wall. I called Daniel over and told him that I found something. We peeked around the corner where this room had water in it. There was steps leading down to the floor and so we descended the stairs and stepped into the water.There were other people who looked like statues in there, three were in the water and the other was outside the water. There was pink cloth hanging from the ceiling and there was a chandelier. Ever since then,we would go back on our anniversary."

Much better grammar, still hate the wording, but oh well. See the difference beside the lack of bolding and italizing? Don't reiterate "we" so much in the same sentence, make sure the entire sentence is in the same tense, and tie up loose sentences. >.< Not sure what else to say. Also, spellcheck. We have a tool for it here...

I'm not even going to get into the writing quality, as that would be reiterating every single other point I've pointed out so far.

Good luck with writing!~

*sigh* my critique was longer than the writing itself...something's wrong..

6 years ago

Just bumping this, so it matches "The New Shit" in the End Times section.

6 years ago

who thinks i should try my own writing promots?

6 years ago

We already know how much you hate your mom and dad.

6 years ago

yeah,ik..its kinda obvious that i completely hate my parents' guts.

6 years ago

I hate your patents too BTW, mostly because they're the reason you exist.

6 years ago

Lol.

6 years ago

;-; that's kinda mean,well i could have been born into another family....but,you can't control that.