Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

Inspired by the first chapter of The Dryad's Riddle (which, by the way, is awesome), I have decided to share a riddle I made up a while ago. 

You are a detective working for a police agency in downtown Brooklyn. While you lounge in your office, putting off paperwork, a cop rushes up to you with a clothespin on his nose to tell you, after a few unsuccessful attempts and a handwritten note, that a naturally smelly criminal has smuggled 100 pounds of bratwurst and has now escaped the crime scene.

With the nose of a hound dog, you track the criminal through the streets of Brooklyn, past dumpsters with rotten fish carcasses spilling out, street vendors with sweaty shirt stains, and unclean bathrooms with graffiti on the walls. Finally, you find yourself in a strange, whitewashed room with the ventilation set up so that the remarkably rank stench you've been tracking flows equally from all directions.

Thus you cannot determine which of the 5 doors in front of you to open by merely using your nose. Each door has a wooden letter on it, one with an "M," one with an "N," one with an "O," one with a "P," and the last one with a "Q." If you open the wrong door, the criminal will know that you're there and run out through one of the other doors in the building. If you take too long, you might pass out.

Which door should you open to keep your job?

If you don't want to ruin the riddle for everyone visiting this thread, you should either answer the riddle through private message, black out your text like this so that the answer can be seen by selecting/highlighting the text, or content yourself with the knowledge that you have solved the riddle. 

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

'p' for pungent?

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

Nope, that's not it. Good try, though. The answer should click. Also, for future reference, people should give their reason (like you did) so that I can tell they're not just guessing.

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

I'd go for the O-door.

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

Nice! You got it! 

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

I'm going to say this is undeserving of being a riddle. Puns are the lowest form of humor, and you should be shot.

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

Personally, I think that either slapstick or sarcasm is the lowest form of comedy.

Will that be death by firing squad, cannon, injection, or assassination?

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

Yes.

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

No.

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

Maybe so?

A Pungent Puzzle

6 years ago

You can fuck right off. Slapstick is a carefully constructed form of visual humor that can simultaneously humanize and characterize a character. Just because it's been appropriated by hacks who don't put any effort into what they do anymore (Mall Cop, every new Adam Sandler movie, The 90s) doesn't make it low, just easy to imitate and get wrong.