Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

World Weaving

6 years ago

I have been rolling around the idea of a fantasy world that I have been building on for weeks now. I haven't written anything down, currently its pure imaginative power driving the idea forward. The basis of the world is the cliche balance of order and chaos in name only. Neither is innately good or innately evil, just naturally different. The world consists of five planes that exist upon the world. Ur'nar, the plane of Order, sits in the center around the anchor in which the followers of order gain their power. Ur'nar is then surrounded by a nigh impenetrable mountain range simply known as the Barrier, a plane seperating order and chaos, in which a single pass connects the planes of order and chaos.

The pass is in itself a plane in itself, called Cath, and those who defend it wield a potent force of Order and Chaos to stop those of order or chaos from passing over. This unique power is only useable within the pass of Cath. The pass is defended by an imposing Temple-Fortress that is held by the Blades of Cath to beat back the tides of Order or Chaos seeking to march against the other. Beyond the pass is Ka'nar, the plane of chaos, it surrounds the barrier and Ur'nar, and beyond that is the ocean-like void of nothingness in which the power of chaos flows.

World Weaving

6 years ago

Okay, so, it's Dungeons and Dragons?

Jk, I guess, but I don't know what you're trying to ask here. Usually if there's a two-paragraph dump in the WW it's supposed to mean something. I mean if you're not asking any questions that's fine, but there isn't really much to critique or discuss, it's just a concept 

World Weaving

6 years ago

Whoops! I meant to add more, but I had to leave it. I just assumed I had finished writing when I came back to it. I was kinda inspired by Tolkien's idea where the Undying Lands and Middle Earth were on the same "planet". I wanted to ask if this world space should be translated to a CYOA. 

World Weaving

6 years ago

If you think you can properly capture the essence of the worldspace, while still providing an enjoyable CYOA, then go for it.

You don't really have to describe everything in detail and/or provide the life story for every faction or area in the game. If you want to, though, you could always make a "Background" or "History" page at the beginning, dumping all the info about the setting in one place.

World Weaving

6 years ago

The idea of Chaos vs Order isn't particularly new, and it not being tied to morality again isn't particularly new. I mean, again as Sent said, Dungeons and Dragon doesn't tie Order to Good or Chaos to bad. Fuck, a shit ton of our fiction is Good Chaos vs Evil order with stuff like Star Wars or shit, anything with rebels against an Evil Empire. There's still a wide swathe of things where its chaotic rebels vs orderly government and neither side is innately good or evil, like Skyrim, Witcher, Paper's Please, 40k, Assassin's Creed. I'm not particularly sure what's unique about this idea, if I'm completely honest.

World Weaving

6 years ago

Oh, yeah, there's the fact that neither is good or evil too. I was more reminded by the fact that there's like this circle of realms that tie into each other and one part is Chaos and the other part is Lawful.

World Weaving

6 years ago

Yeah, I mean that's a big part of DnD that I presumed you were referencing, but I'm not big aware of that shit so I didn't comment much on it.